Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went on the weighbridge again, -80kg, 1200kg FLAT with mods.

Rides

Went on the weighbridge again, -80kg, 1200kg FLAT with mods.

In this thread, I took a TOTALLY standard, S13 with full tank and weighed it 1280KG's (withouth driver offcourse and anything in the car that is out of order).

http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/showthread...ght=car+weight

Went to the same bridge with my new S13 and it was 1200KG flat with a full tank and no driver, these are the mods, I'm very happy with the result.

Minus weight mods:

- Rear Seats
    - Jack / Spare wheel / Tools
    - Parcelshelf (replaced with Japanese Battle Flag
    - ABS
    - Exhaust heatshields
    - Decat
    - Blitz Nür Spec
    - Rear Seatbelts
    - ABS Computer (20gr )
    - Aircon (compressor, radiator, hoses, bolts, bracket, pulley) but not interior belongings.
    - Coolant Expansion Tank (u don't need one, I run a hose down the car and collect the spit out coolant into a plastic bottle ziptied to the chassis with holes in it to suck air, this way I don't spill anything on the road, I'm an envoirmental geek )

Cobra Seat and self made subframe ( -3kg cause frame is made out of thick steel), seat is a big diff though.

Enkei Wheels are 3kg lighter per corner but tires are heavier so weight saving is neutral.

I have added a 5kg fire extinguisher system with brakckets and all other belongingings but for the rest the car is as it is.

But basiclly the car is still quite civilised, dashboard, carpet, e/c windows , stereo all is on. I drove in the hot summer days and didn't find the lack of aircon a problem, open the passenger window and it was all good. Plus the cooling of the engine is improved big time, probably due to more air flow to the radiator.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vova View Post
    - Coolant Expansion Tank (u don't need one, I run a hose down the car and collect the spit out coolant into a plastic bottle ziptied to the chassis with holes in it to suck air, this way I don't spill anything on the road, I'm an envoirmental geek )
    You do need an expansion tank. Header tank on rad MUST be full, then warm water expands into the expansion tank and is sucked back on cooling. Keep a few cm of coolant in the bottle, make sure that the hose reaches near to bottom of your bottle and dips in coolant or it will suck air.

Rides
    So what if it sucks in air? The air won't get pulled thru the system anyway, it will remain on top. I have driven over 3000km this way with no air bubbles in the system whatsoever and very stable temperatures. Old cars didn't even had expansions tanks.

Rides
    Old cars had about 3" of expansion room in the top of the radiator.

You need the expansion.

Rides
    The cooling system is designed to be filled to the absoloute top, when the water expands the cap lets it out to the expansion tank. When it cools again (or heatcycles during normal use) it sucks the water back in from the expansion tank to retain the full capacity (it does this through the small button in the centre of the rad cap).

Running without it is not a good idea.

Rides
    ah, let him run without it.
    He knows best anyway.

Rides
    Well, it's your choice to run without a tank, I guess, but I'd advise people not to go binning theirs without doing some research first .

Now has anyone got anything to say about a car on a weighbridge?*

*if you haven't, don't post (an order, not a request ).

Rides
    Time for a carbon boot, bonnet, doors and wings
    They're cheap as chips to buy too

I'd be interested in how close to the magical 1000Kg's you'd be with these extra weight savings

Rides
    my S13 with rb25 engine, full fmic, full rollcage, full tank, weighed in at 1197 kg on the scales at Zandvoort racetrack...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    Now has anyone got anything to say about a car on a weighbridge?*

*if you haven't, don't post (an order, not a request ).
    You barsteward, I never normally bother posting with stuff like this. Your post makes me want to post though

Er....

I weighed in at 9 stone 5 this morning on the weighing scales.

Closest I'm going to get to adding to this topic

Rides
    Mine was 1120Kg's with similar weight reductions to Vovas but tank was not full.

Dunc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunc View Post
    Mine was 1120Kg's with similar weight reductions to Vovas but tank was not full.

Dunc.
    Strange, cause I weighed the car before with a quarter tank (estimate 20-22L) and it was 1180, with full tank 1200.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vova View Post
    Strange, cause I weighed the car before with a quarter tank (estimate 20-22L) and it was 1180, with full tank 1200.
    Perhaps duncs is more rusty

Rides
    Oi!!!

Maybe down to variance in weigh bridges or something? Also how much does a tank of fuel weigh?

Dunc.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dunc View Post
    Oi!!!

Maybe down to variance in weigh bridges or something? Also how much does a tank of fuel weigh?

Dunc.

A quick google gives a litre of petrol weighing 0.74kg.

Rides
    I'm hopefully going to be getting to a weighbridge this week. I estimate to have lost around 70kg since weighing in at 1140 with £40 (29kg) of fuel on board & 10kg of shit in the boot. No carbon fibre (apart from the mirrors & only seat) or any modification to body panels as yet, but I have got perspex side & rear windows.

There's still a load more stuff to do before real expense comes into it

Anybody know the weight of Bigtone's car?

Rides
    Just thought I'd bump a thread with car weights to say that we weighed 3 cars on a dockyard weighbridge today and got:

S13 - standard manual UK facelift with kosei 17" alloys and 1/4 tank of fuel: 1260kg

S13 - my 180sx - standard SR20 with autobox, kouki bodykit, no carpet and 1/2 tank of fuel: 1260kg again

S14a -with RX-8 alloys: 1320kg

The weighbridge is supposed to be 10-20kg accurate, but that could be over the operating range of 60 tonnes - dunno It noticed 90kg difference when I got out my car, which is about right
    Last edited by John Bennett; 03-10-2007 at 23:08.

Rides
    we put a 97 S14a Silvia on the scales two weeks ago , it was 1160kgs with under 1/4 tank of fuel and has a Z32 gearbox and one peice steel prop

out > seats,carpets,sound deading,roof cloth,door speakers,boot door skimmed, removed the boot door lifters,mirrors,air con

in > fiberglass kit inc front wings and dry carbon bonnet,2 Trash racing seats,Cusco 7 pt cage,

Rides
    i went also to take the weight of my car with another 200SX friend
    200SX no abs or aircon half tank of fuel = 1240kg (with driver 1320kg)
    200SX with abs and aircon empty tank of fuel = 1280kg

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ae86 Irl View Post
    we put a 97 S14a Silvia on the scales two weeks ago , it was 1160kgs with under 1/4 tank of fuel and has a Z32 gearbox and one peice steel prop

out > seats,carpets,sound deading,roof cloth,door speakers,boot door skimmed, removed the boot door lifters,mirrors,air con

in > fiberglass kit inc front wings and dry carbon bonnet,2 Trash racing seats,Cusco 7 pt cage,
    That's pretty damn good if you can strip all that out, put those heavier goodies (z32 box, cage) in and still get it over 150kg lighter than stock