Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: My Sil80 Project.

Rides
    No too busy to post LOL

Rides
    Awesome that you finally got it on the road! That might just be the best S13 on here now... except mine obviously

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Went to a Dyno Day at Jez's today organised by Limitless.
    It was great to see Jez again, it's been a while.

Anyway, it didn't go too badly; but I'm sure there's another 50 ponies in this turbo.
    Needs to be mapped by someone that knows what they are doing, i.e. not me.

Dyno-Chart-HDev.jpg
    Last edited by Jezz_S13; 10-03-2019 at 18:56.

Rides
    That's properly impressive, mate

Rides
    Nice one

Rides
    So, I've been looking at setting up flat shifting/gear cut using the clutch as a trigger, should I go drag racing to keep the boost up and the shifts fast.
    I had a simple (brake) switch on the pedal but found that i drive with my foot on the pedal, and the little bit of lash in the pedal meant the switch was being activated even though the clutch is engaged, resulting in all sorts of unwanted pops and bangs.
    I stumbled across a post in a FB group where someone said use the fork for more accuracy, so I took it a bit further and got a position sensor and used that, with this i can configure my ECU with the exact point (voltage threshold) the clutch is disengaged. Meaning the gear cut is only active whilst the clutch is disengaged.

Geeky, but cool.

cl-pos-01.jpg

cl-pos-02.jpg

cl-pos-03.jpg

Rides
    A bit more geek.
    The fuel pump doesn't need to running full chat all the time, needlessly heating up the fuel and making a load of noise so I've connected and mapped a Jaguar F-Type fuel pump controller (Same used in a few cars XFR, XKR, Aston Martins).
    This takes a PWM signal from the ECU and runs the pump at the required duty for the boost/load demand.

Straight from the scrappers, £30, there's a place in NZ selling 'reconditioned' ones for ~£250
    fuelcont-02.jpg

Needed some headwork with a scope to work out how it works...
    fuelcont-01.jpg

And in she goes...
    fuelcont-03.jpg
    Last edited by Jezz_S13; 18-04-2019 at 19:23.

Rides
    Great Stuff Jezz, both cool ideas.

I could actually do with a pump controller too, so you just worked out what it was doing on the pico scope and hooked it up to the relevant relays needed, no actual software changes?

Can you make me one?
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    The controller is controlled by the ECU (Syvecs in my case), your ECU needs to have a PWM fuel pump strategy and spare TTL (ignition) output; though you can make it work with a normal output but it reverses the duty, ignition outputs are active high, normal outputs go to ground when active. The Jag controller is expecting active high.
    The jag controller is a bit odd.
    It takes a 100hz signal input, and gives a 20kHz output to the pump. The duty of the input signal is roughly doubled, 4% input duty is roughly 8% pump duty, 49% input is ~98% pump. Below 4% or above ~52% input tuns the output/pump off.

I actually use 2 fuel pump outputs, one to turn on the relay which powers up the controller, and the other to do the PWM control.

If you could find a device which will take a 5v input and convert that to a PWM signal then you could hook it up to your MAP sensor. This sort of device does exist.

There's a post (4th from the end) on the page linked below by AlexjC4 which inspired me to check the jag unit out.
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...t=916550&i=320

You could alternatively use a Solid State Relay and diode etc, but I seen some mixed reviews. Consensus seems to be to avoid cheap ones.
    I will probably use one or two SSRs to control my cooling fans, the instantaneous load of the fans starting upsets the idle a bit, so if I can feed them in gradually and at a duty proportional to engine temp then it'd be much better.

Rides
    Thanks for the info, having checked I do seem to have a PWM signal from my stock ECU but its 0 to 5v, no mention of hz. Maybe it would be simpler to get a controller from the original vehicle. Anyway, cheers for shedding light on the subject
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    So i've fitted a ZF 8HP auto gearbox to the rusty Datsun.
    It had its challenges, mainly that no one makes an adapter/fly/flexplate for the 4G63, so I bought a 3D printer learnt CAD and designed and prototyped one in plastic; then TTV Racing made the proper one for me.

I'm using HTG GCU to control it, BMW shifter, and Freewheel/Blinkstop flappy paddles and buttons.

I should upload some pics.

Rides
    ****ing hell, you've been busy!

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Longest project ever? Does it actually move under its own power and stuff after 20 years of "development"?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    IT has been so long, unless I'm mistaken, all your pictures have fallen off lol. I'd love to see it.
    '99 S14A Garage Find (off the road since 2007) - WIP

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra View Post
    Longest project ever? Does it actually move under its own power and stuff after 20 years of "development"?
    cheeky bugger. You ok?
    it does at the minute yeah, and generally has for the last 4-5 years, in between fannying around with it.

Pi - Most of the pics were hosted n my PC at work, still are but you can't access them externally now. I might move them, but prob not LOL

I'll get some pics uploaded, maybe later.

Rides
    Last edited by Jezz_S13; 09-05-2023 at 21:14.

Rides
    Well would you look at that, that is impressive stuff. I bet that was a project and a half. How's the box behave?

At least give us some up to date pictures of the car in general.
    '99 S14A Garage Find (off the road since 2007) - WIP

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Yeah, all good here mate, discovered working on my own cars was shit so pay other people to do it now, currently smoking about in a V10 Phaeton, 2014 Z28, 2ZZ MR2, 135i coupe and horror of horrors an Audi etron*
    Also managed to flip an F355 into a field in Scotland last year, exciting!

Did your S13 turn out how you wanted then? Is it quick mister?

*Its actually really good, what has happened to me .......
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Flipping a Ferrari is careless, but an immense buzz I'd imagine.

S13 still not turned out as hoped, but goalposts change; quite fancying a destroked R32 (VAG) lump, big powers.
    It's reasonably quick.