Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: My Sil80 Project.

Rides
    I take my hat off to you for the sheer amount of work, the real ground up build mate.

I think it's one of those things that everyone thinks they want to do, but major thumbs up for actually having the balls to do it.

I don't think I ever could just from the point of view of if I crashed it I might have to kill someone /myself lol.

That bell housing is cracking, be a shame to get it dirty lol.

I can see when it's finished it's gonna be one of those cars you see at a show where you can't go and look at one bit, cos there are soooo many cool bits, and some much lovely work, you have to see it all.

Glad your getting the drive back to attack it again mate.

Good luck with it.
    Member no. 31 Project Purplyness
    CA19.5DET 390BHP

Rides
    Thanks Kev, some kind words there. This is kind of 2 projects, the original sil80 project was essentially finished, then I blew the engine up and it's the 4G swap that's been rumbling for 5 years. I'd have edited the title of the thread, but I'm a pleb now.
    Trust me there's been times when it looked like it wouldn't get done, not that I've thought of getting rid of it, more that I couldn't see when i was going to get back on it, going pretty good now though and the end is (in relative terms) in sight now.

Anyway I was able to get down to the workshop and try the brakes on, my wheels are 17s, the brakes are 356; however in the end there was bags of clearance, about 6mm.

I also took loads of pictures of the gear lever setup so that I can crack on with butchering it, so here's one of the old CA gearbox lever in the Toyota box, just need to make the Toyota lever (which is about a foot long LOL) look a bit like this, only about an inch further toward the back. I might cut/shut the two together.

Rides
    Time for a bit of an update.
    plenty been going on, far more than there are pic's for.

The gear lever is finished, here's a pic of the hacked lever before it was finished and painted. I put it all together with the console and gaiter and the position and look is pretty much stock, which is nice.

I'm using the Toyota MR-S electric PAS pump, we've found somewhere for it and Steve has made one of the two brackets.
    It works really well here; the hoses will join to the original hardpipes which will be cut & shut to take a -6AN fitting for the high pressure side, and swaged/flared on the low pressure side.
    There was a danger that we'd have to mount inside the car, but TBH I didn't really want that.

Ignore the big bolt sticking out, that's just temporary until a replacement of the right size arrives.

Had a bit of plenum interference with the clutch M/C so a bit of hacking,welding, polishing ensued courtesy of Steve & Steve.

Hack...

Weld...

Polished...

Suspension has arrived, I've fitted the front.

Mounted the brake T-piece splitter for the front brakes having ditched the ABS; and made the feed pipe today...

We put the intake pipework all together, much glee that it goes together ok. Up until this point it looked like it would work but was was all a bit vague as the throttle body was held on with gaffer tape and I didn't have a joiner. The flange of the plenum has been drilled/tapped so the TB is now mounted properly.

Oh I fitted a Hardrace gearbox mount too, the stock one was far too squishy. I don't have much clearance to the tunnel from the box, so not ideal to have a saggy mount.

I'm hoping to get the alternator and mounting bracket back soon (it's currently on my engine somewhere in middle England), I've a feeling that it might get in the way of the plenum; so that could be another unnecessary project. Once it's mounted the coolant pipes to the radiator can be made.

Rides
    Looking good

Rides
    Thanks Jez, and thanks again for sorting the suspension and brakes out.

Rides
    No probs

Give us a shout when you're ready for mapping - come and use the dyno if you like

Rides
    Cool cheers. Not sure when that's going to be yet, hopefully not too long (relative to how long it's taken so far LOL).
    I have access to rollers so I'll be able to get it up an running; once it's ran in I'll swap the lairy cams in then pop down to visit the Syvecs guru to wring it's neck.

Rides
    Spent a day on the car today.

Fitted the rear shocks, no pics.

Test fitted the alternator, there were fears that it'd hit the plenum/throttle body but there are no fears; the coolant pipes on the TB hit it just, but they will be going anyway.

Finished the front brake lines.

Made a low pressure return for the power steering pump; got a bit creative and made a cooler element.

The engine bay side...

And a pic of the finished gear lever.

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    This is awesome Jezz, proper serious build. Any hopes for power and weight when its done?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Cheers.
    Power should be around 6-650 with the GT35.
    I corner weighted it at Jez's some time ago, IIRC it was 1250 but can't find the photo. It'll probably be a bit heavier (20-30kg) with the 4G and Toyota box.

Rides
    What ! Only 600 powerz. Pah !

lol.

Whatcha gonna use it for, matey ?

Rides
    I've got my eyes on a tastier turbo.

I'll use it for a bit of track, bit of drag & might do a bit of commuting.

Rides
    Can't wait for the commuting vids!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Can't wait for the commuting vids!
    +1 for that.

Should get some mighty impressive quarter times too.

Rides
    Spent a few hours on it it yesterday.
    Most of it was measuring and headwork relating to the loom, but I did take some pics.

The only real work I did was secure the N/S/F brakeline with some rivnuts & clips.

Then I played around with the wastegate,

Had a look at the intake piping. I can't do much with this until the turbo to intercooler hotpipe is finished, so haven't cut the silicon yet; but it's all good and looks like I'll be able to fit a huge filter in there. The one is the photo is 9" long, there's a 14" one which should fit.

A big box of connectors arrived today, can never have too many connectors.

I've ordered a new starter cable, because the starter is on the other side of the block, the std one is a couple of feet short. I've also ordered a great load of wire and other stuff to start the loom.
    Christmas is Champagne and loom time, pics will follow.

Rides
    A big bag of thin wall wire and some other bits just turned up for the loom.

Rides
    I've been mostly making bits of the loom.

Electric PAS. This takes a speed input form the gearbox; It's a Toyota PAS pump, and I'm using a Toyota box so the loom for the PAS contains all the wiring to power and read the signal from the hall sensor on the gearbox. I don't use the gearbox speed sensor for the dash/ecu, I use average wheel speed for this form the ABS sensors

Relay for electric PAS.

Injector loom.

Power distribution block.

Knock sensor I'm using a bosch sensor rather than the stock 4g63 sensor, I've had to helicoil the block to take it from M10 to M8.

Fuel pressure sensor screwed into the FPR and ignition power transistors. I'm using S14 Splitfire coils, so am using the S14 and Splitfire power transistors.
    I used this setup on my CA and it worked really well; so expect it'll work OK on the 4G.

General mass of spaghetti.

Rides
    Looks like its finaly on the home straight now mate...

Get a move on i want a ride lol
    Quote Originally Posted by sideways14a View Post
    Christ i would bang that harder than a barn door in a hurricane.

Rides
    Have an engine...

Shit loads has happened in the last year, but nothing to show LOL.

Rides
    Some sump pics...