Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Datsun Bluebird SSS

Rides
    This weekend got some fuel hoses and connected the engine up to the pipes that I fitted under the car. Then went to get some fuel and fill the tank with £10 and tested the walbro. Somehow I managed to get the fuel lines round the wrong way, easiest solution was to change them round at the tank end.

I then worked on the loom and after a bit of studying of the wiring diagram got the ECU working and the pump to prime with the ignition turned on. Bolted the engine mounts up to the subframe which were loose from last week, got a starter motor in and wired up. Got a shifter in the gearbox, and the gearbox mount modified to bolt to the floor properly.

The S14 box has a nice elec speed sensor. Using an S12 cable driven one with the S14 driven cog and some araldite the speedo should now work. Be interesting to see how accurate the speedo will be afterwards.

Then yesterday it rained non stop so couldn't do naff all.

Rides
    I Want One Thats Cool

Rides
    Found myself under the car again after work to sort out the speedo drive and connect it all up. Some more differences between the fitment became apparant but nothing too hard to sort. Reverse lights now work

Thanks to my mate Will (Datman), he managed to sort me out some standard hoses from his parts bin that would work with the different calipers. Got them all fitted. Just need to change the rear brake cylinders, and wack some fluid in. Big relief these are out of the way.

Also fitted an S13 throttle cable (thanks cartersmush) due to the S12 one being a very tight stretch.

Spent a bit of time toying with options in how to sort out the new shifter arrangement (its 3-4" further back). Anyone good with plastic fabrications?

Rides
    No problem Mart, just glad I could contribute to this awsome project

Rides
    hmmm, there seems to be a big pile of freshly machined engine parts in my boot. I wonder where they're going

Rides
    Done a few more things, but have an issue with the brake master cylinder, so need to try a spare to see if it makes a difference. The pedal nearly hits the floor, so either the seals are gone on the piston in the BMC or the Z32 calipers require too much flow. Could use an S12 one which has the same size piston as a Z32 BMC.

Propshaft is almost ready to be re-welded at its new length.

Exhaust will be a bodge up just to get it on the road. Then it will go somewhere for a decent one to be made.

Also got it taken home last night on a trailor last night, I'm sick to death of having to drive miles to get to the car, to work in crap conditions without power. Will still be crap conditions but at least its home with some power.

New home:

Rides
    Love that car

Rides
    Thought I'd look into the BMC issue. I got hold of an S13 BMC and test fitted it to a spare Datsun servo that I had and was pleased to see it was a direct fit.

Went to a scrapper on to see the Z32 down there, and luckily its still had its BMC . Got it for £25 as well

This had a 17/16" piston diameter compared to the 7/8" one thats on the Datsun. Thats a massive 46% difference.

I had to make up 2 new brake lines to suit the new BMC, but for a change it was quite an easy fit.

Bodged an exhaust up, just got to wait for a brake in the crap weather to get a mate round with his welder to finish the job off.

Rides
    this car is awesome, nice bit of old skool going on

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    This had a 17/16" piston diameter compared to the 7/8" one thats on the Datsun. Thats a massive 46% difference.
    It will reduce pedal travel but require more brake pedal force.

Rides
    Yeah the pedal doesn't hit the floor like it was doing before with that BMC

Rides
    Got some oil in the engine and gearbox tonight, and also started the engine up for the first time for 15 secs today. Started instantly which was nice...

Prop has been finished as well

Just need to get some water in the engine, and sort out the water pipes, and IC pipes. Also need to sort out the centre console somehow coz the shifter is 4" further back than normal, tidy up and add some wiring to get the rev counter and temp gauge working.

Hopefully its dry this weekend for me to get the car up really high, and check the diff and engine alignment with a laser tool I have, and make any necessary adjustments.

Rides
    Crap weather didn't help too much this weekend but I've done what I can do. Ran it up for a while and drove it up and down the drive, the turbo however is having a joyful smoke. Need to sort this before it can hit the road.
    Some more pics I took on my phone:

Rides
    awesome mate...ive seen the car in your sig for a while but only decided just now to read the thread...i love it mate. really nice idea and i think you done well so far!!

Rides
    Amazingly for a change it hasnt rained tonight, so I've managed to get a little bit of work in on the car, and get the original rev counter working with the 4 coil CA engine. Nice little touch, that will stop me having to have gauges everywhere, and its suitable enough, as I doubt it will ever go past 8Krpm. Although the speedo quite won't be up to the job for high speeds

Rides
    Good to hear you've got it running

Rides
    Had a good day yesterday. Stopped the turbo smoking by removing the breathing system, and then got it all briefed up to drive it on the road.

Anyway, today drove it a little harder, but have noticed a bad vibration at about 45mph. So need to re-visit the diff alignment to ensure this isnt the cause (its about 2.5 degs out).

First time driven with the gearbox too, certainly looks like it will be fun with the nicer gearing.

Oh and there's a big crack in the oil drain which need sorting

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Dude, you have to chrome that grille and get some clearf indicators

It looks the nuts already mind you
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Docwra View Post
    Dude, you have to chrome that grille and get some clearf indicators

It looks the nuts already mind you
    I'm liking this idea

Rides
    I have a spare grill to get it done

Who and where could do it?