Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Datsun Bluebird SSS

Rides

Datsun Bluebird SSS

I thought I'd start a thread about the project I've been playing around with over the last year. Progress has been slow for various reasons, but its the normal stuff like change of plans, girlfriends, holidays and crap weather slowing progress down. I’ve actually forgotten what I’ve done to the car, but I’ll try to remember

The car was on ebay and it cost me £300. I carried out some research and asked around on Datsun clubs and I was informed that it shared the same floor plan as an S12, so subframes were a direct swap. I thought this was particularly handy seeing as I owned an s12 anyway, and it would be an easy conversion, so I didn't have to worry about any difficult engine conversions.

It had to be stored at a friends yard for a few months until I had the space to store it.

This is the the first day I got it:

Nice rust :

The proposed engine:

The first things was to remove the standard diff. Its an R160 as standard which is fine for its original job but struggles to keep in one piece over 150bhp.

Comparisons of rear subframes:

I then took some measurements of the rear subframe and it was very different to the S12 one, with no compatibility at all.

I then toyed with diff options, got hold of a Subaru LSD R160 with shafts, but the custom shaft work required meant it wouldn't be too viable. I decided to hold back on this for a while and concentrate on other areas.

First was the front suspension. Naturally I tried to fit the S12 coilovers that I made up previously:

First thing that stood out was another compatibility issue whereby the top mounts were a much different bolt pattern. I fitted the coilovers up front, but with standard Datsun tops on:

It was clear that the rear shocks from the S12 wouldn’t work so I measured up what I thought was needed, and it came to my surprise that the lengths were similar to that of an S13. So I went on a hunt for S13 rear coilovers with very little luck. Jez had some s13 coilovers for sale, and I decided to buy the whole set. I then had a re-think and decided to use the S13 coilovers up front as well. This is where things got a little complicated up front. I also had to consider engine mounts and the original engine mounts required quite a lot of work to fit a CA18 to, so I went on the hunt for an S12 subframe. Again more incompatibility quickly sorted out by redrilling the subframe. After a lot of messing around over a long time, there is now a nice cross member with nismo mounts, a brand new steering rack off ebay, shortened tein track rods and ends and brand new swing arms. I got some S13 hubs on, and then the coilovers were in with standard top mounts.

I previously bought some wheels off of Steve Carter. They were nice 16x8” wheels which would sit well in the arches.

I was about to get them refurbished but thought I'd hold off a month because s13 hubs meant I could obiously use some more decent brakes so I got some Z32 calipers with redrilled discs (cheers sliders13) instead. This was lucky in way, it meant though that the 16” wheels now wouldn’t fit due to the flat design of the inside face of the wheel. Better I found that out before having them refurbed. I then came across an old sale thread by Chris B, and decided to buy his wheels, and later fitted that night:

Things went a bit quiet for a while but I got back stuck in and many thanks to Jeffers-s13 for getting some laser cutting sorted for me to enable adjustable camber tops normally seen with coilovers.

Now the front end is finished, it meant I can start looking at the rear coilovers. Much to my delight they only took a few hours to modify with no angle grinder or drill in sight.

Being originally a carb’d car meant that it only had a vacuum drawn fuel supply from the fuel tank. I was tempted to use 2 external pumps and a swirl pot system, but then I decided I would try to use an s12/13 tank. Managed to get hold of an S12 tank and with some abuse and fettling with the filler pipes it just about fits in place, albeit very tightly. Another bit of luck there. Fuel lines outstanding though

The engine was now going to be a fairly pokey CA18DET, and my first concerns was a gearbox. I decided to spend some money on an OS Giken kit, but luckily a 2nd hand box came up (thanks pointblank). I decided not to use the CA18ET. The max these can put out is 300bhp. This is a complete struggle as well, and I also felt it won’t be enough power, so have opted for a CA18DET. I’ve fitted the engine loom already, its just needs hard soldering in.

The next thing on my mind was to sort out the brake lines. All the brake pipes have been replaced, but I’m still waiting to receive the flexi hoses

I got a job lot of parts off of ebay which meant I had some new chrome to replace the awful rear bumper.

Back to the rear diff. Originally my S12 had an S13 LSD in place. I won’t go in to the tech details of this, but it won’t work in the Datsun without having the driveshafts shortened. This will cost £600 so I have put a hold on the LSD at the moment. With that type of money, its ridiculous just to end up with a viscous LSD. I fitted the bigger diff out of the S12 and its all in place coupled with some 280zx driveshafts. If I can find another short 280zx shaft I will be able to use an S13 LSD. That said I am rather tempted to fit a 1.5 way or maybe a torsen diff. Undecided at this stage, it depends how generous I am feeling.

There isn’t much left to do on the car (prop, gearbox mount, exhaust, brake hoses), but its little hold ups (eg the brake hoses) that hold me back. Its going to rain this weekend which means no work is possible, but if it holds back I will fit a bare CA block in with the box and sort out the mounts and measure the required prop length. Fortunately I have a mk1 s12, mk2 S12, s13, s14 and 2 other Datsun split props all of different lengths. I may be lucky and find 2 halves to make up the required length.

The engine is actually left until last. I don’t see the point in fitting an engine, when the basic stopping, turning and transmission things aren’t finished. As for the engine, well, all I can say at this stage is that it will make it a quick car!

Rides
    More pics:

Rides
    Very cool

Rides
    Ya gotta love those old skool jap cars, very pimp

Rides
    I'll check those pics out when I'm on my home pc - sounds v. cool

Rides
    Very nice. I like it.

I wouldn't mind shoe horning my S14 drivetrain in to a Datsun Violet one day, if it ever comes to it that my S14 shell is scrap.

Rides
    looking good mate

Rides
    Very cool project. Love the tweed/grey-vinyl interior!

Please sell it to me when it's finished.

Rides
    Awsome project fella, well done that man there.10 out of 10on the ratting

Rides
    I thought the photo in your sig was someone elses - very cool mate I like it a lot

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Django67 View Post
    Please sell it to me when it's finished.
    Don't think it will be too cheap if I do sell it. Its costing me a small fortune!

Rides
    love this car, and it's helping me thin down my spare parts pile wooo. have to admit the biggest holdup on getting this running is currently me. Promise we'll make progress soon mate.

Rides
    Don't be silly mate, there's other holdups as well remember

Don't need an egnine in there until I have sorted those other things out

Rides
    what's this subaru diff you mentioned?

Rides
    It was something I toyed with sometime ago. It will fit inside the standard Datsun case etc but the driveshafts are very different. They arent the same diameter so the external CV joints can't be fitted to them.

Rides
    Very pimp

Is that the original paintwork?

Rides
    Yep its the original colour/paintwork

Rides
    I've said it before, i'll say it again.

PIMP.

One of the coolest projects on the forum.

Rides
    Never intended for it to look pimp , just want it to handle well

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    just want it to handle well
    that it will!!!! and it'll go like an absolute bastard too lol