Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What A Mess! = Rebuild time!

Rides
    Good job mate! keep it coming!

Rides
    my car came from glasgow an was rather rusty only had 46k on it when i got it dunno what they do to em up there lol

Rides
    Well here we go again, I've probably done more work over the last weekend than I have over the last 3 months, Im too busy with other projects, VW Gold, Impreza, and R1 to name a few! But due to leaving the front end which I had cleaned up, it had some what deteriated from when I first did it back in November So here are a few pics of its revived state, and to be honest im glad I redid it as I think I've done a beter job this time.

Also been rubbing down other bits and bobs, the mirrors proved to be some what of a head ache not wanting to come appart until I realised you have to pull the glass out, thought it was screwed to the plastic, lol.

Pics below and hopefuly quite a few more to come soon as I have organised the engine bay to be sprayed soon. I hope

Rides

Primer Time!

Got some primer on the engine bay at long last. Looks really good and am glad I put in the extra hours rubbing it down and then re rubbing just for good measure. The rust was a nightmare inicially, surface rust appeared on what I had originaly done, so I redid it but alot better to make sure it was gone for good, it looked pretty good once cleaned up.

Getting some satin black tomorrow so should hopfully have that on by next week!

Rides

Springs

Started to clean the front suspension which came off the red donar car and realised that they are not standard, Apex by the looks of things. There the same ride hight but a bit beefier, more coils at the bottom.

Does any one else run these springs do you know what difference they make to the handling etc etc??

Also the bearings in the tops are a little notchy, turn ok but have no play in them, where as the standard struts, the bearings spin freely very easily, but do have play in them.

Does any one know what should be right, I am wondering if the Apex ones have been over tightened when originaly put on the car??

Rides
    They look the same springs that were on my car when I first got it. The rear shocks were knackered so didnt really have much of a feel of the rear of the car but the fronts were ok but the car was bouncy, felt like a standard car to be honest.

Rides
    Went to get Satin paint today and they wanted £75 for a litre! No thank you! Apparently I have to buy half mat and half gloss!?!? I can unerstand why but I think some one is pulling my leg, there must be premade satin some where. I'm now trying to find another paint supplier, sharpish.

Rides

Call that Satin black?

Got the engine bay sprayed up, only one problem, the bloke at the paint shop managed to forget the mat in my satin! Seeing as its one of teh main things in satin I just am baffled at how he managed it!

So I now have one very glossy engine bay! Whether it will look any good im not sure, but it sure is shiney. It takes away some of the lines in the bay and seems to blend in all the curves and shape.

Im hoping that with a good looking rocker cover and nice chrome pipe work it will pull off a treat! fingers crossed. And on the up side, adds a bit of diferenciation into the equation!

Better pics to come these were taken at night under false light, dont show the true gleem!

Rides
    That looks really good

Rides
    A few more better pics:

Rides
    Done some work to the front running gear, fitted the lower arm and shock today, went to put the hub on and ralised I had forgoten to recondition it So I spent the rest of the day doing that for both sides.

The right hand side ball joint has a tear in the rubber, MOT failure Im thinking, does any one know whether you can replace just the ball joint or do you have to get the entier lower arm? Seen some nice Nismo lower arms but just for a bit of rubber its not really worth the £200 wanted for them.

Rides
    Been up to a few bits, and figured out how to post BIG PICTURES! thanks to the help from a few members

To start off with replacing old with new...

Nice bent thread where the previous owner attemped to 'remove' the hubs for a 5 stud conversion on his 180sx and one ripped rubber

Photobucket

Nice new shiney ones

Photobucket
    Last edited by avinall; 18-09-2008 at 21:34.

Rides
    Cleaned up the remaining off side hub, strut and lower arm along with the nearside hub. They were quite rusty and the bolts on the lower arm a nightmare to remove!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Took a couple of weeks to dry as teh paint was layered on fairly thick after a good serving of rust deterrent.

Photobucket

Rides
    Fitted the near side front hub, torqued every thing up, and managed to get the ball joint done up without any problems...

Photobucket

But the other side was a different matter, last bolt to tighten, the ball joint, and the sod started to turn just as it got slightly tight! It was stuck fast so out came the angle grinder!

Off it comes...
    Photobucket

Dad attacking it
    Photobucket

and the offending item!
    Photobucket

Spent the next week cleaning the thread up on the ball joint, went and got a quote for the dye...£68 for the one! having a laugh so got 2 new nuts, retorqued the nearside, and managed to get the offside cleaned up enough the nut went gliding on and had no probs what so ever.

Rides
    Put the steering rack and wheel back in, need to replace one of teh hydralic pipes as it was crushed by the pervious owner when removing the engine.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Strapped the steering collum up, seems to have done the job for now.

Rides
    Removed the clutch line due to it being cut by the perviouse bloke and Ive got a Hose Solutions braided line to put in.

Photobucket

Gone...

Photobucket

Rides
    And then.. I put the wheels on!

Finally got rid of the 4 stud hubs that the previose owner left on from his 180sx and got the originals back on, its taken a while, but Im pretty pleased with the quality of teh running gear, removed all rust and reconditioned most things where needed.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And a day later when every thing was finally back together, my ARB's turn up!

So they can wait until the shell is sprayed to be fitted.

Photobucket

Rides
    Once that was done, got dad to start cutting the sill out of the old car to replace the dented one.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And on doing so... cut through the wiring loomb! DOH! So next job is to fix that!

Rides
    Good work make sure you torque the suspension up when it's sat at ride height though Have a look in the manual for more info but it's pretty important

Good luck with the hose solutions braided clutch pipe, I bought one off them and it, was, well useless. So much so it's sat outside ready to go in the bin
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    Good work make sure you torque the suspension up when it's sat at ride height though Have a look in the manual for more info but it's pretty important

Good luck with the hose solutions braided clutch pipe, I bought one off them and it, was, well useless. So much so it's sat outside ready to go in the bin
    Yeah a friend of mine said Id have to torque the ARB's up when it was at ride hight, so that was one of the reasons I was waiting to fit them. How come you have had troble fitting the hose? Surely can you not just send it back if its a manufacturing fault??

Also forgott to say I got my Apex type 1 FMIC, pipe work and smaller washer bottle. Didnt realise how big it was lol!

Photobucket