Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What A Mess! = Rebuild time!

Rides

Engine

Have also started to tinker witht he lump, have bought a new crank pulley off of 'armracing' many thanks for that (should arrive tomorrow)

I took the manifold off with turbo attached, placed my nice new shiney one on the block to see what it looked like and its spanking!
    Treated the whole thing with metal cleaner, slightly rubbed it down with wet and dry, then painted it (using a tiny tiny paint brush!), still have a bit to finish but you can see from the before and after pics that it looks sooo much better! Should look well nice once all the paints done and chromed manifold goes on!

Also looking at the dust from the clutch, its due replacment, so will be keeping me eye out for something decent, might even do the flywheel at the same time, not sure if it makes much difference to the power though. Might be worth it as I doubt ill have a chance to get at it with the gear box off.

Rides
    Dont know why the pics are so small, work ok last time???

Rides

Some more updates

Today I changed the fule pump as the donar cars one had gone missing! So I removed the good working one fromt he bent shells fuel tank, and put it in th ered one.

When I located it on to its bracket it doesnt seem to sit very tight, IS THIS NORMAL?? i tryed many different things but came to the conclusion that it must be, any advise would be welcome. PLUS in the pic of the good fuel pump, is it all there, as I have never seen it before and do not know if it is intact.

Rides

Body work

I also went around filling a few spots and finishing off some rust removal.

The pits along the front roof were removed with and angle grinder and then some 180 grit wet and dry, I then treated them with 'Metal Ready' and covered them with stopper. Hopfully this should of done the job of getting rid of them. Just need to make sure I rub the roof down carfully as I do not want patches in the paint!

There was some cracking on the rear quarter panel where it looks like the back end went into some thing, as it has been filled and resprayed. Cracking formed in the filler and there was a slight crease in the panel I noticed so I amended that as best as pos.

Up the front all the rust has been removed (Although the pic looks rubbish!) It came up quite well considering. I have treated all the bare metal with Metal Ready, did quite a few coats to make sure it was all covered well. Planning on filling the front box section with Wax Oil and priming up any areas which need doing.

The build goes on, all the little bits seem to take up time and it seems as if Im never going to get there but Ill keep going! I originaly wanted to have it finished by this time but its looking like a much longer job!
    Once the engine bay is painted up I think it'll be more down hill!

Rides
    That does indeed look like a beast of a project!
    Keep it going- think about the first drive. i have just spent 1k+ on sorting sills on my s14. My pug 306 of the same year has no rust whatsoever..........

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by tomo1 View Post
    That does indeed look like a beast of a project!
    Keep it going- think about the first drive. i have just spent 1k+ on sorting sills on my s14. My pug 306 of the same year has no rust whatsoever..........
    Pugs just don't rust... it's one of lifes little mysteries. Being French, I suspect their rust went on strike

Rides
    Well sorry to disapoint! Ive got a 306 as well on an M reg, with 2 rust spots lol, one on the roof and other on the boot lid lol. Although it is only surface rust and it has spent most of its life nexct to the sea, so done pretty well i think!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by avinall View Post
    Planning on filling the front box section with Wax Oil
    My advice would be to stay well clear of Waxoyl - it's a total waste of time I would use an alternative box section wax, there are other brands that actually work

Keep at it These builds take time but are always worth it in the end
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides

Engine work

Finished off repainting the engine, looks pretty nice now, pics below.

Its too cold at the moment to risk respraying the engine bay so thats on hold. Im doing this to cut costs a bit as i have a big list of bits I need to buy and money isn't my friend at the moment. lol. Planning on having the main body resprayed proffesionaly, maybe by Liphook coachworks or some other local firm.
    Repainted the gear box as well, that looks really nice compared to what it was like!, shame you wont ever see it

Rides

Crank pulley

Fitted the crank pulley, soaked the nut in anti rust solution for a week or so as it was a bit mig. Torqued it up to 110. Looks nice and clean... I wonder how long itll stay like that

Next job is replace the clutch, The min. is apparently 3mm from the rivets i had 1.4mm! So thats going to be replaced. Is it worth doing the flywheel while I have the engine out, would it make much different to the cars performance, not really clued up in this area.
    I was thinking a LUK clutch from Apex, pretty much a standerd replacement.

We keep churning on, one day Ill get to drive it! I only drove it from my drive to the patio, should of taken it up the road to see what shes capable of. Might of inspired me to get amove on lol

Rides
    Stick with it- Looks like a really smart clean up job! I have spent the best part of 7 months rebuilding mine. The first time it turns over and fires up is such a good feeling! Best of luck!

Rides
    So it continues, very very slowly though what with a new job taking up nearly all my time and a long distance relationship, dont get much time for the poor 200, but do what I can here and there. Mainly been rubbing every thing down. Spoke to a local spray shop who said 800 wet and dry would be required for my chosen colour, silver, so that means iv got to re do most things but I want to get a move on and get it ready for summer, which is just around the corner (hopefully) Some pics below.

Im removing the front head light washer jets as I think a nice flush bumper line will look really nice. Along with this, the bumper when I got the car was a bit tatty to say the last with holes and cracks here and there, was in 2 minds as to buy another one, but I thought Id see how a repair job goes first. Lots of filler, fiber glass and time later, its not to bad, the only problem is there is a crack in the middle of the bumper at the bottom, which wont stay put once fiber glassed so Im worried it'll move once the paint jobs been done it will reck its nice shiney coat. I hope not!

Also welded up teh rear arial hole and realocated it to the front centre of the roof, will get photos up soon.

Bought a new clutch, EBC should do the job I hope, not planning on running silly power so I think it should last.

On contemplation of removing the petrol tank, I gave up, I need to replace the brake line which runs above it, I think it can be done without the tank being removed, this will save quite a bit of time as well!! As for welding in the new sill, thats still to come and a wet wrag in the gas tank hole should do the job

Any way, Ill get a few more better pics up in the next week or so. Been slacking way too much, and seeing as my renewal email came through this week and I realised I've had it for a year now, I wasnt very impressed with my self Get a move on! lol famouse last words!

Rides

Exhaust

Forgot to mention I got this from santa this christmas, A lovely new shiney HKS Silent Hi Power cat back , cheers santa your da bomb!

Rides
    Great work m8, cant wait to see what it looks like in silver.

Rides

Ariel reallocation

Taken a few more pictures of the removal and refitting of the Ariel, I didn’t like the motorised metal pole, so have gone for a medium sized normal Ariel on the roof, much more to my liking! The flush rear looks good as well rather than having a metal pimple in it. Pics below explain all. Need to rub the filler down slightly better as I can feel a small number of rough patches in it, will prob wait to do this once I redo the whole car with 800 wet and dry.

I am going to invest in an electric sander, to speed things up and also to ensure that I don’t loose my mind slowly rubbing away into the foreseeable future. Any one got any suggestions as to what to go for? A belt or disc device?

Rides

The Old Shell

Have taken a few more shots of the old shell, obviously with extra rust because its been sitting outside for a year now.

It shows how bent the roof is and how much filler was used to get it back up to window level. and yes that is a gapping gap into the car under the rear window! Pretty shocking that some one would even think about doing this let alone actually doing it!

The rear arch has extensive rust in it, god knows what the car has been through, I don’t really want to know. I think its been sitting for quite a while in a massive puddle by the look of things! Or at the bottom of the sea!

The hole, which has been cut into the rear arch, shows more filler, the plan was originally to cut the rust out and weld new stuff in but then I found the mayhem that lay beneath the roof lining! What a Mess!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    My advice would be to stay well clear of Waxoyl - it's a total waste of time I would use an alternative box section wax, there are other brands that actually work

Keep at it These builds take time but are always worth it in the end
    what other brands are better and work? please.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sxalex View Post
    what other brands are better and work? please.
    Dynax

http://www.bilthamber.com/dynaxs50.html
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides

That is a lot of rust for a S14(a), what year is it. Although you are doing a very good job on it, keep it up

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kornboy119 View Post

That is a lot of rust for a S14(a), what year is it. Although you are doing a very good job on it, keep it up
    It on a T plate, 1999. It came from Scotland, but has probably spent most of its life outside around the back of some sketchy garage. The rust is extensive and is in quite a few other places. The engines only done 42k. confused is all i can say!