Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: What A Mess! = Rebuild time!

Rides
    I needed one of the hub nuts off the old car, which has been sat at the bottom of the garden for quite a few years now, the rust on the shell is imense! My camera diesd so net time I'll take a few shots. Luckily the hub nut had been covered up so looked nice and shiney. After trying to lock the 5 stucd up with a metal bar and bending them w decided to put a wheel on pop it on the floor and try again. Cracked off after I put all my weight onto the breaker bar, which ended up with me nutting the wooden post! Bloody hurt! but did the job Apparently these are torqued up to nearly 200nm!

Rides
    Ive finally had some time to get a move on with the car, well and my old man so here are a few more pictures of whats happened.....

Started to clean up engine parts which we removed from the old blue car.

This was a pain to remove

looking a bit empty now

Rides
    Cleaned all the parts up and started to fit them

Starting to fill up with bits

Rides
    Fitted the clutch and flywheel. Forgot the gasket on attempt one so had to take it all apart again!

Rides
    It was finally time to get some paint on the car! I've been thinking long and hard about what colour to have... for nearly 4 years in fact. I had a good idea so went along to the spray shop and ended up choosing something completely different lol.

I had to get the panels on and prepped as best as I could, unfortunately the front bumper had been squashed over the years so didn't fit properly.

The spray shop I used is called Firm FX near Farnham and I cant praise Chris's work enough, he sorted all my dodgy rubbing down, filling and welding... even fix the front bumper!!

The car was taken away on a flat bed, a monumental moment!

Rides
    Down the spray shop hanging out with a Porsche, Lotus and Chevy so it should feel right at home

I went back a week later after Chis had worked day and night to sort it, gave me an idea of what white would of looked like...

Rides
    And now for the final painted product.....

wait for it ..........

My better than factory paint job!

Its black in the dark / shadows and gunmetal silver in the sunlight. (A bit darker than my first choice but Im really please with the result) Awesome!!!!!!!

Rides
    Next job was to chuck the engine back in after fitting the gearbox...

Cleaned the engine mounts up as well and replaced the gearbox mount.

Rides
    Also fitted the dash at around the same time

Rides
    I then went on holiday for 2 months and came back to find the car had built itself while I was gone (nah credit where its due, dads been working hard to get it done, think he wants his garage space back!)

All windows in, roof ariel fitted, interior fitted, engine pullies, belts, fan fitted. Radiator in with new hoses, type 1 FMIC fitted and probably some other bits...

Rides
    Today I picked up a second hand sports cat which means I can now fit the rest of the exhaust.

Need to sort out the legal stuff with the DVLA and Im nearly there! I never thought Id see the other end of this at some times... little bits here and there and we've got there!

Rides
    Top thread good on you for not giving up!!

Flamethrower
    Rides
    What a read!!! well done so far mate, keep it up, teh end is in sight....

Rides
    Today was inspection day at the DVLA.... well it never happened!

Long story short, been toing and frowing with various people at the DVLA about which number plate the car should be registered under, so far someone at their offices said the original T plate, then it changed to a Q plate (due to replacing the chassis with a non new from factory item), then later changing their minds to a P plate (the donor car, and basically said the donor car has had an engine swap from the T plate!)

They did want to inspect the car today but we went to pick up a trailer yesterday, needing a big one as the cars over 14 ft we turned up in a Gold TDi and the rental company wouldn't allow us to have it saying the car was underpowered. Therefore after a brief call to the DVLA it was decided to scrap the inspection and go ahead with the change of engine number on the red donor car. Problem solved, shame its gone from a T to a P reg car but at least its not a Q plate which would of been rubbish.

Rides

Clutch MC

After fitting both clutch master cylinders from the original and donor car, one leaked and the other wouldn't bleed up properly I then bought a 2nd hand one off ebay. Fitted it quickly and it bled up really well. Clutch is really light and the bites not too harsh considering I removed the hard pipe, only having a flexi straight to the slave cylinder.

Whilst under the car I noticed a small amount of hydraulic fluid from the power steering pipe so need to address that.

Rides
    I fitted the centre console but have a wire which is left over....Does anyone know what it is for? Being yellow I kind of thought it was either airbag or alarm related or am I wrong here?

Rides
    Here's a few finer details...

Thought the filler surround would look good green, don't want any mishaps at the pump I quite like this for some reason...

Satin black inner boot lid to cover up the red paint.

Properly fitted the battery to the boot, welded the battery tray in and made a bracket up

Inside cabin.

Inner wing / arch

Rides
    Excellent project and perseverance!

Rides
    Yeah mate this is some really great work and im glad its still making progress, i bet you can't wait to get it on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigShow View Post
    Reach arounds are more my thing, I don't like the taste...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    Excellent project and perseverance!
    Thanks very much mate!