Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What A Mess! = Rebuild time!

Rides

What A Mess! = Rebuild time!

Just descovered that I have a project in my hands, but didnt realise the scale of things untill last week. Basically I was planning on replacing the offside rear quarter panel, cut out some rust in the other arch and respray the front bumper and maybe bonnet. But then I found this:

So it has lead to what is now a much bigger project, I have bought another shelll, plan to respray it all and then transfer EVERYTHING! so the strip down begins!

Attachment 45658

Attachment 45659

Attachment 45660

Attachment 45661

Attachment 45662

Rides
    So that's been on its roof after a crash at some point?

What was it purported to be when you bought it?

Rides
    I think that it happened early on in its life as it has quite extensive rust where the welds are. I think that its first owner crashed it, some dodgy garage rebuilt it, sold it to someone else, who probably didnt realise, then sold it to the bloke I bought it off, who I reckon knew it was bent but didnt realise untill he got it home or at least a couple of weeks later and wanted to flog it. It was priced quite low considering the millage, but stated that it needed the brakes replacing and could benefit a tidy up. I then bought it and after a few weeks noticed a slight rise in the paint in the pillar took the roof lining out and found that mess!

Rides
    Man, that sucks ass.

God luck with the project, anyway.

Rides
    If it where me I would be looking for another shell. That is not the way to do it at all. I would strongly suggest thinking long and hard.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Smart-Tech View Post
    If it where me I would be looking for another shell. That is not the way to do it at all. I would strongly suggest thinking long and hard.
    I think that's what he is planning to do mate

Looking forwards to this one Get plenty of pics up
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    Yeah new shell has already been sourced! Ill keep it all up to date! Takes me back to when I restored my Austin Mini!

Rides
    dam i hoped you might have my shell which is ace.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    I think that's what he is planning to do mate

Looking forwards to this one Get plenty of pics up
    Saw the pics but didn't read the bottom line. The only way to go.

Rides
    Right its been a long time since I decared war with the 200 but things are now finaly underway now that I have graduated and am jobless lol. Pretty much ready to remove the engine from the old shell, and doing prep work to the 'new' one. Keep on finding little bits that I tinker with so its been a bit slow, will get some more pics up soon. And hopfully now I have nothing else to do it should all move along quite quickly.

Rides
    Right things have moved along a bit now, got the donar shell stripped down, and engine out of the bent one. Just preping things for the respray removing the front wondow has been the most challenging thing so far! And the sealent they use to keep the rain out is insainly hard to remove! Sorry havent kept up to date with this been here there and every where at the mo, hopefully will keep on top of things from now on.

Rides
    A few more photos, started to clean up the shell ready for respray. Been looking at 'James's' rb26dett conversion and am sooo tempted to follow in a similar line, but looking further into it I decided to stick with the standard lump, get her up and running and use the bits off the redundent car to do it over time. 'Purplepower' is a lord i have to say, was looking through his project and I have to say its insperational and scary lol! From the looks of things theres alot to convert, assemble and buy! a lack of hard cash is whats putting me off. Any ways heres what I have been up to this week.

Rides
    Keep the update's coming with lots of pics

Rides
    Heres whats coming next, clean the front up and rub down looks like it might take a bit of time given the amount of crap on it. Clean up under the arches. treat little rust spots on the roof. And redo the roof with p1200. Used p600 for the initial rub down. Thanks for looking, any coments welcome!

Rides

Is that on the exterior of the shell? It’s best to remove the pitting otherwise it will bubble through in a year or so
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    yeah on the out side along the top of the roof. got 16 of the little bliters!

Rides
    bilthamber Deox gel you'll be neededing! it'll shif tthe pitting

Rides
    cheers bud!

Rides
    id personally just sand them out with 80 grit then fill the small area and sand back, would be only a very very small amount of filler and would be better as you will have totally removed the rust then

Rides

More work

Its been a while since my last post, Since then I have rubbed the whole car down, Painted some of the engine, trated the bare metal, removed rust from up front, cleaned up inside the rear arches (which were covered with bits of left over rubber, thanks to the bloke who blew the engine) and have pondered alot. The sills are in a bit of a worse state then I had thought before, looks like the past owner has driven over a curb. In half a mind to cut the drivers side out and replace with the 'cut and shut' shells. Heres a few pics: