Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: F%ck. My GT28RS just died

Rides
    So by your saying Mr. TD, all bb-turbo's, especially the GT28R and RS must be equipped with oil restrictors next to the built in oil-restrictors?

Rides
    Vova, he saying it depends on the engine. 10 to 45 psi basically.

Might be worth getting an oil-pressure gauge linked in before the turbo!

Matthew

Rides
    Well we are on a 200SX forum :P ...and I can't imagine allot of applicable cars for this turbo being so different with oil pressure as most cars these days run the same principle of forced bearing lubrication and such, so pressure differences shouldn't be far off by my thinking (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, when looking specifically at the CA or SR engine, is the restrictor a necessity?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vova View Post
    Well we are on a 200SX forum :P ...and I can't imagine allot of applicable cars for this turbo being so different with oil pressure as most cars these days run the same principle of forced bearing lubrication and such, so pressure differences shouldn't be far off by my thinking (correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, when looking specifically at the CA or SR engine, is the restrictor a necessity?
    Yes, a restrictor is necessary. Quite often they're built in to the oil feed on housing.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vova View Post
    So by your saying Mr. TD, all bb-turbo's, especially the GT28R and RS must be equipped with oil restrictors next to the built in oil-restrictors?
    I didn't say that at all Mr. Vova, I did say "It should be pointed out that this applies to all ball bearing GT series turbos". If you go even further back I said "GT2871Rs use the same bearing cartridge as GT25s, GT30s, GT32s and GT35s anyway" therefore implying that no one turbo is more or less reliable or prone to failure that another.

Matt

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Noz View Post
    Yes, a restrictor is necessary. Quite often they're built in to the oil feed on housing.
    Correct, all ball bearing turbos come with a restrictor prebuilt into the bearing housing however this is not always enough of a restriction...

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob.../faqs.html#t16 <- Garrett website link

Matt

Rides
    Thanks Matt this has been very informative

Do you know a 'rough' range of pressure that journal bearing (i.e. the standard T25 and T28 turbo's) and able to deal with? From a comment made earlier, I assume they are more tolerant of higher pressures?

Matthew

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDynamics View Post
    I didn't say that at all Mr. Vova, I did say "It should be pointed out that this applies to all ball bearing GT series turbos". If you go even further back I said "GT2871Rs use the same bearing cartridge as GT25s, GT30s, GT32s and GT35s anyway" therefore implying that no one turbo is more or less reliable or prone to failure that another.

Matt
    Ok..but do you know wheter on a CA, a extra pressure restrictor is needed for a GT28R for instance?

Rides
    What diameter are the restrictors built into the CHRA? If they're 40thou, why would another restrictor further upstream be needed?

Garrett state 40-45psi when the engine is revved, but I've read it should be no more than 25

The minimum amount of oil required is optimum though, less drag for faster spool.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    Thanks Matt this has been very informative

Do you know a 'rough' range of pressure that journal bearing (i.e. the standard T25 and T28 turbo's) and able to deal with? From a comment made earlier, I assume they are more tolerant of higher pressures?

Matthew
    They are much more tolerant of high oil pressures, I have some figures somewhere so bear with me I'll try and dig them out. Rest assured though that unles you have ridiculously high oil pressure it won't be an issue.

Matt

Rides
    What diameter are the restrictors built into the CHRA? If they're 40thou, why would another restrictor further upstream be needed?

Garrett state 40-45psi when the engine is revved, but I've read it should be no more than 25

The minimum amount of oil required is optimum though, less drag for faster spool.
    The additional restrictor is there to drop the pressure down to a level at which the main restrictor in the bearing housing can cope. It limits the flow of oil. 25 thou sounds way too small, we've been supplying 40 thou restrictors when required for some time now and in every instance they've worked. I'd hate to think what kind of oil pressure you'd have to be running to necessitate the use of a 25 thou restrictor.

Matt

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboDynamics View Post
    The additional restrictor is there to drop the pressure down to a level at which the main restrictor in the bearing housing can cope. It limits the flow of oil. 25 thou sounds way too small, we've been supplying 40 thou restrictors when required for some time now and in every instance they've worked. I'd hate to think what kind of oil pressure you'd have to be running to necessitate the use of a 25 thou restrictor.

Matt
    I meant 25psi oil pressure!

Rides
    I meant 25psi oil pressure!
    Oops sorry, Friday afternoon!! They can take more than 25 psi oil pressure without a problem.

Matt

Rides
    i put a motorbike oil filter in between the oil feed and my gtrs hks turbo runs at 1.5 bar all day long and has 0 play.

its a simple mod that should be done to all bb turbo`s.

also stops engine swarf from getting through and collapsing the bearings.

the oil filter also decreases oil pressure.

had my turbo for 2 years and i do give it death. 341bhp on my ca

Rides
    I think you rebuild mine through PTS last year...

Rides
    Sorry to bump this but my GT28RS has just died. Exactly the same symptoms as Dan described in the first post and the turbo is of a very similar age and mileage to the one that he had.

So, you can add Cluck to the list of dead GT28RS turbos

I'm going to go for a 2871 and, having read this whole thread again, I'm going to get the additional restrictor fitted "just in case"