Page 78 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 2561

Thread: Comprehensive S14a refurb

Rides
    Hey man, still working on this ey? :-) I wonder what you're gonna feel like when the job is done. You're gonna find yourself restless with all the time you will free up... ;-)

Anyways, I was curious how you did with the A/C pulley. Did you remove it? Did you manage without damaging it? I'm in the process of refurbishing all the pulleys and would not like to leave the A/C pulley ugly as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post

Rides
    I have bought an Opel Manta so that should keep me occupied when the S14a is finished
    I made a puller for the AC pulley but still couldn’t get it off. I ended up masking up and spraying it whilst still fitted. Not the best way but better than knackering up a perfectly good AC pump

Like the AC pump, some things are not easy to refurbish. The steering UJ for example, shotblasting would damage the seals and the bearings, I soaked it in Deox gel for a couple of days to remove the rust. You can’t exactly lash a load of paint on it either so I gave it a thin coat of primer followed by a couple of light coats of 2K thinned down quite a bit

I sprayed the front strut and had nowhere to put it without damaging the paint - I improvised

Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    now that looks like my type of improvisation lol,

just one measly thing in this perfect refurb, how come you never took the steel pipes off the rack and replaced them with copper or even replaced the ends and plated the pipes, i can just imagine removing those in the future ruining your brilliant paint job on the rack.

its all looking brilliant as per usual tho buddy, keep it up, this car should be stored in an airtite container locked in the depths of nissans basement so in 100 years time its as good as it is now lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d. View Post
    how come you never took the steel pipes off the rack and replaced them with copper or even replaced the ends and plated the pipes, i can just imagine removing those in the future ruining your brilliant paint job on the rack.
    Good question I had to shotblast the rack with the pipes in place for obvious reasons so why didn’t I replace them? Paint offers more protection than plating, it’s unlikely that the pipes will ever have to come off so I thought this was the best solution
    Pete

Rides
    thats a fair point, and with that much paint on id be verry supprised if the rustworm got into there too,

Rides
    What's happening Pete? I feel the need to look at some shiny stuff.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Davie View Post
    What's happening Pete? I feel the need to look at some shiny stuff.
    I’ve been messing with the Manta

I need a few days of guaranteed dry weather before I can get the rest of the front suspension bits blasted. I don’t want a pile of bits sat there rusting, they really need to be primed the same day.

I'm also going to really struggle for space when I take the front wings and bumper off. I’ve nowhere to put them so I am reluctant to strip it all down until the weather improves a bit.

Built this up though

Pete

Rides
    Good call on the stainless allen keys by the way. As long as you use good tools they will NEVER get rounded off. That's what they use on planes a lot.

I've been fixing the rusted floor on my s14 and looking at this thread makes me feel depressed

Rides
    Thats so clean!!! How do you intend on keepign it this clean Pete?

Rides
    Fantastic Maybe this thread should be sent to Nissan Japan.

My 97 a is comming of the road soon for a rear arch refurb subby bushes, and any pitted metal will be cut out and replaced with new - deox for the awkward bits.

do Nissan or other supply new sills for s14a as i want to cut mine off clean inside and loose the side skirt rust trap holes and bond the skirts on instead.

How do you rate Hammerite smooth for its rust cure/prevention ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Good call on the stainless allen keys by the way. As long as you use good tools they will NEVER get rounded off. That's what they use on planes a lot.

I've been fixing the rusted floor on my s14 and looking at this thread makes me feel depressed
    The smaller sizes especially countersinks can round off pretty easily. I have a ready supply of torx bits at work to hammer into knackered allen heads.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Thats so clean!!! How do you intend on keepign it this clean Pete?
    Probably never drive it To be absolutely honest, I have no idea what I am going to do with it when it’s done. It would be nice to get some miles on it to make sure everything is OK but I don’t want to get it dirty or chip anything.

Quote Originally Posted by crz View Post
    Fantastic Maybe this thread should be sent to Nissan Japan.

My 97 a is comming of the road soon for a rear arch refurb subby bushes, and any pitted metal will be cut out and replaced with new - deox for the awkward bits.

do Nissan or other supply new sills for s14a as i want to cut mine off clean inside and loose the side skirt rust trap holes and bond the skirts on instead.

How do you rate Hammerite smooth for its rust cure/prevention ?
    Hammerite smooth seems to do OK in the rust cure / prevention short term. I think you will have to fabricate some pieces for the sills, I haven’t heard of anyone making them.

As far as the stainless allen bolts go, they are widely recognised as being better than a hex head bolt. I appreciate that countersunk bolts have a shallow depth, which increases the risk of rounding, but I would rather have an allen bolt than a posidrive.

So far I have only sheared 1 bolt on the car when I dismantled it (touch wood still a bit to do yet) It was the M6 bolt holding the brake T piece that sits under the OS rear arch.
    Pete

Rides
    alrite all, just finished reading through this thread......absolutly amazing.......
    still cant believe you told people to wire lock bolts though, i work in the airospace industry and some are a rite pain in the backside,

but aside from that you wont have to wory about anything falling off.....good work mate, dont give up intorest cos it will be worth it in the end and i think you know that

just need the rite weather for it

Rides
    Managed to get the front wings off today in between showers

I sprayed some box section wax on the inner arches a few years ago.

Top of NS inner wing

Just had this slight surface rust

It’s starting around the brake pipe bracket

Dirt build up on the bottom of the wing, bit rusty and all

This is where it goes on the car, again rusty

OS wasn’t as bad

All in all, it’s pretty much what I expected
    Pete

Now with 400bhp....
    Rides
    I expected that to be a lot worse should of known better really
    1998 Nissan 200sx s14a , 2000 std 5 speed with nismo supercoppermix clutch bn6 Sapphire Blue

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    Waiting to see whats behind your wings as to whether i'll be stripping mine!
    Some pics of the wings just for you I have cleaned them up and they are in very good condition The worst bit where it bolts to the sill. There are some really minor rust spots a bit further up the wing but these will be easily sorted.

Very minor rust spots at the front

Top of wing is 100%

As is the arch lip

I will post some more pics up of the inner wings when I clean them up

To be honest, it's not bad for 11 years old
    Pete

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post

To be honest, it's not bad for 11 years old
    Mate, not bad?!? It looks spot on! Mine is good, and miles worse than yours.

When do you think you might have it back together?

Rides
    Thanks Pete! Again not as bad as i'd thought,will risk mine a bit longer! Hell the cars only got wet about 12 times in 4 years
    Do need to get the inner gaurds off soon for a look though.
    Excellent pics and write up as usual
    Cheers.Paul

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    I think i will just bin mine and get fibreglass ones if they go rusty

Rides
    Petrol, you really are crazy !! hehehehe