Page 126 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 2561

Thread: Comprehensive S14a refurb

Rides
    I used Silkolene Syn5 as recommended by Opei Oils in both the S13 & S14. The syncros have gone weak on the S13 and I’ve had to get a replacement gearbox. I rang them for some oil and they told me not to use Silkolene (Now called Fuchs Titan Race) as there have been gearbox problems as a result of using it I drained the Silkolene oil out of the S14 gearbox. Although it’s not been driven, I sincerely hope it hasn’t knackered a box that was in 100% perfect condition

Decided to flush it with this stuff

To say I am a bit naffed off is an understatement
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    I'd best change out my syn5 then! been in there 4 years and half a dozen track days,so i think your box will have survived sitting on the drive Pete!

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    lol that stuff you used to flush it through is all ive ever used in the nissan, only ever had one box which has got a little tired and that was after a drift day with a 400bhp RB hammering it. all my other gearboxes have been fine on the cheap stuff and have done several track days and ring laps.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M.D. View Post
    lol that stuff you used to flush it through is all ive ever used in the nissan, only ever had one box which has got a little tired and that was after a drift day with a 400bhp RB hammering it. all my other gearboxes have been fine on the cheap stuff and have done several track days and ring laps.
    That’s probably why your gearbox has lasted, at least it’s the right spec oil

Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    I'd best change out my syn5 then! been in there 4 years and half a dozen track days,so i think your box will have survived sitting on the drive Pete!
    That sounds encouraging if yours has been in there that long I was recommended Gulf competition 75w-90 but had a look on their website and I quote

“Gulf Competition Oils are primarily intended for motor sport use, for which they are excellent. They are not, however, recommended for long-term/everyday use in most road cars,”

So I’m going for Nissan oil
    Pete

Rides
    The Nissan stuff is great for normal use my box was notchy into second when cold just after I bought it, was gutted, put Nissan stuff in and it was perfect luckily I was told not to put the stuff you had in at the time, as I very nearly bought it.

Rides
    I still think of it along the lines though that if its notchy cold,then it should work better when warm???

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    I still think of it along the lines though that if its notchy cold,then it should work better when warm???
    Yea, but I guess that's why the Silkolene stuff is maybe better for track cars, and less so for dailies spending a lot of their time at cooler temps?

Rides
    From what I have read, there are additives in GL5 and GL4/5 compatible oils that can damage the brass / bronze syncros. This additive can etch into the syncros and knacker the gearbox. Just because my car is parked up, doesn’t mean that damage hasn’t been done. I have taken a sample of the oil just in case.

As I said, this oil was recommended and I quote from another thread from 2006

Quote Originally Posted by oilman View Post
    The Silkolene SYN 5 is rated as both GL4 (for the box) and GL5 (for the diff).

This gear oil is 100% suitable where a GL4 is called for, it is also suitable where GL5 is called for (usually in diffs/final drives).

We have many SX's running on Syn 5 with absolutely no issues.

Please be assured that SYN 5 is totally ok for your boxes (and your diffs) it meets and EXCEEDS all the specifications required.

Cheers
    Simon
    Now they don’t recommend it.

I have spend a huge amount of time, effort and money on this car, I have also put my trust in "experts" but feel I have been let down.

From now on, I will stick to what I know to be right .... 5L of Nissan's best for both my cars
    Pete

Rides
    Dropped the flushing oil out of the gearbox and filled it with the real deal. Nissan part No KE916-99932
    I won't bother with advice from "oil experts" anymore It's just annoying the money I have wasted with them
    Pete

Rides
    I found this thread at about 12pm, I'm upto page 47!

I hate you a little bit simply due to the fact it's 3 in the morning and I'm still reading it and I've got work in 4 hours.

I can't even imagine doing anything as comprehensive as this.

I'll repost tomorrow when I'll have hopefully got to the end

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    Originally Posted by oilman
    The Silkolene SYN 5 is rated as both GL4 (for the box) and GL5 (for the diff).

This gear oil is 100% suitable where a GL4 is called for, it is also suitable where GL5 is called for (usually in diffs/final drives).

We have many SX's running on Syn 5 with absolutely no issues.

Please be assured that SYN 5 is totally ok for your boxes (and your diffs) it meets and EXCEEDS all the specifications required.

Cheers
    Simon
    So this stuff to me sounds like, jack of all trades master of non eh? Feck up your box and your diff

Rides
    I have looked on other car forums and it's much of the same. Many have had probs using Silkolene in their boxes. Simon who runs Opei, went on all the forums pushing "quality" premium rate oils. I once had a group buy delivery from Opie for SXOC totaling over a grand... I guess we all get sucked in to the BS. Like I said, he recommended Gulf oil for my S13 gearbox and I quote from the Gulf website

They are not, however, recommended for long-term/everyday use in most road cars

Nuff said

Nissan gearboxes need GL4, GL5 is OK for the diff though
    Pete

Rides
    I've got the S13 buyers guide that was publishing by Japanese Performance mag, circa 2003:

Nana also mentioned that S13 gearboxes don't like synthetic gear oil, so this should be avoided.
    I'm hugely sceptical about most "expert" traders because most are simply resellers repeating marketing claims on the side of a box. Mechanical parts are usually poorly-made and fitting items from the far east that you can find cheaper elsewhere.

What happened to the good old days of tuning houses that proved the parts they developed/sold on the race track?

I've just ordered poly tension rod bushes from the US because they worked out less than half the price UK traders are asking

Rides
    I managed to find an email addy for Nissan Japan customer services and asked if they had any 200 SX's in their museum.

This was the reply

Dear Pete:

This is in reply to your e-mail dated October 4, 2012, regarding your
    Nissan 200SX. First of all, we thank you for your generous patronage of
    our products.

With regard to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that you can
    see the models stored in our Zama Studio at the following URLs;

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERITAGE/

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/HERI...a_gazelle.html

We hope the information will be useful for you.

Sincerely yours,

Customer Communication Center
    Pete

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    From what I have read, there are additives in GL5 and GL4/5 compatible oils that can damage the brass / bronze syncros. This additive can etch into the syncros and knacker the gearbox. Just because my car is parked up, doesn’t mean that damage hasn’t been done. I have taken a sample of the oil just in case.

As I said, this oil was recommended and I quote from another thread from 2006

Now they don’t recommend it.

I have spend a huge amount of time, effort and money on this car, I have also put my trust in "experts" but feel I have been let down.

From now on, I will stick to what I know to be right .... 5L of Nissan's best for both my cars
    I spent a while researching the correct gearbox oils before...I like yourself got recommended SYN5, I decided to get redline MT90 GL4...overfilled the box through the gearstick and never had a problem.

Rides
    Spoke to Bilt Hamber this week. They are offering a 10% discount for SXOC readers. Just register on their website then email them and they will set the discount up.

I have been looking for plastic brush drill attachments for ages and finally found them. These things are great at removing rust especially in pitting, also good for polishing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4003457572...84.m1439.l2649
    Last edited by Petrol; 13-12-2012 at 21:12.
    Pete

Rides
    Sweet well done Pete i am just about to get some bits from them!

Rides
    that's good news Pete, was about to put my order in for the 5 litre tub of dynax to flood my sills with
    white '94 s13 200sx scrapped - mapped to 1.45bar. OS giken box, garrett GT2876R, 950cc injectors, ORC twin plate, nistune. 349bhp/325lbft @ 1.3bar CA18DET
    white '96 s13 180sx - type g with more kouki bits - RB25DET, GTR steel twin turbo conversion, RB26 crank & rods. 2.6L VVT twin turbo, SR20 OSG box, OSG STR twin plate clutch, Z32 ECU w/ nistune.

current status: 180 a bit broken but to be repaired.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by alanjuggler View Post
    that's good news Pete, was about to put my order in for the 5 litre tub of dynax to flood my sills with
    Get 10, then I'll pay ya for half

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Rides
    Awsome Build man