Page 104 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2561

Thread: Comprehensive S14a refurb

Rides
    you got the original crappy sissor jack in there to? just checked mine and looks to be all i have to

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol View Post
    That's a pretty poor show. I can see rust on the discs.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    what are you gonna do about wheels and tyres?
    In what respect? I was just going to polish them up

Quote Originally Posted by sketch View Post
    you got the original crappy sissor jack in there to? just checked mine and looks to be all i have to
    Yep, it’s in the secret cubby hole in the boot. Looks like the toolkit is complete then – Alan I found one of those spanners and wondered, looks like it’s off the S13 then

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    That's a pretty poor show. I can see rust on the discs.
    Not much I can do about it at the moment. They rusted when I was assembling the back end and it was under the car cover. The rain bounced up and they got wet. Won’t make that mistake again, Carcoon all the way now. It's a right pain having to deflate it, unzip it and pull it back though

Quote Originally Posted by Evilchap View Post
    Please come to the weekender with this
    What and rag it up Prescott
    Pete

SXOC Member Number : 317

Rides
    I was thinking park up and show it off... but yeah, maybe a bit of reward after all your effort is in order too, and what finer reward than driving the smartest 200SX there up the hill?

Rides
    this car sure is looking sweet...

Rides
    holy feck! nearly 2yrs in the making! looks super sickly sweet and i should've been in bed an hour ago but kept clicking on 'next page'!
    brilliant intensive job petrol and i've now got,loads of info on how to tackle mine. comparitively, with the amount of rust on mine i should be finished just in time for the next olympic games... or maybe the one after. everything is rusted solid and ive got some serious issues delaying the job. in some places i could push a screwdriver through no bother and below the car is a brown carpet of rust flakes! add to that the weather is fecked up so when i get time its a hit or miss if i get anything done!

pity im so far away, i'd love to see it in the flesh, so to speak. hats off to you and your 'staff' for a job well done.

Rides
    hello petrol. you truly are an insperation. got my s14 on stands on the drive ready to start (no idea where to begin tho lol) quite a lot of rot in it plus all the suspension and brake bolts are rusted solid so they should be fun! got a couple of questions mate, hope you dont mind. when i sand or wire brush down to bare metal, what should i use to protect it before the por 15? if you sprayed the por 15 then how did you mix it or thin it down? does the deox stuff rot rubbers or will i have to remove/replace them after? cheers for any advice you can pass on. neil.

Rides
    You can’t protect the prepared surface with anything that I know of. It’s best to work in sections. I prepped and primed on the same day. I didn’t use POR 15 but I do know you will have to use POR thinners before you can spray it. I didn’t have any problems with Deox and rubber. Come to think of it the only parts I dipped were the rubber backed washers for the diff.

The best way to undo corroded nuts is to heat them with a blowtorch. You can soak them in WD-40 or Plus Gas for ages but if they are badly corroded, it doesn’t seem to help much. I have also successfully cracked seized nuts by tightening them fractionally before undoing them.

If anyone wants to pop over and have a look at the car, your more than welcome.

Test fitted the front splitter

It has quite a big undertray that will either need supporting, cutting down or more likely, a bit of both

Last edited by Petrol; 28-11-2009 at 10:45.
    Pete

Rides
    looking awsome

Rides
    I am in absolute awe of you sir, fantastic work.

I am definitely going to have to give mine a good going over, will hopefully get some cleaning/undersealing done on the underside of my car this summer.

Congrats mate

Rides
    I trimmed a 3" bit off the back of the splitter, then wedged it between the top of the undertray and the front chassis! but you have a type 2 so may not work?

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    Hi Pete, Im glad to see it all together, it looks fantastic
    Please can i ask, what seam sealer did you use? you mentioned sikaflex and also 3M, is there any difference between the two?

Rides
    If it helps, Sikaflex is a brand name, 3m do an equivalent

Rides
    Evilchap is right. I used 3M 08645 auto joint and seam sealer. Sikaflex would be as good but the most important thing is to use a decent brand rather than a budget one.

Thanks pdh, I really need the undertray on to sus things out properly.

I was short of a few bits and bats to make proper progress on the car.

I need a gearbox drain plug magnet before I can fill the box with oil. I thought I would bleed the clutch and fire it up with the clutch in.
    SM to the rescue again

I can now fill the gearbox and get the engine up to temp
    Pete

Rides
    Yay

At long long last, it moves. I have now cleaned the Carcoon base up so I'm not swilling around in fluids. Just the brakes and bodywork to sort

Vid of startup which is mega boring really

Last edited by Petrol; 28-11-2009 at 10:46.
    Pete

Rides
    Truly amazing work mate!
    Must be a good feeling hearing her/seeing her move after all this time.
    Perseverance pays off!

Rides
    Wow,seeing that being driven is like a child being born!
    You really should try to bring it to Prescott for us to all have a look at though Pete! It needs to be seen properly at 1 event before it lives in a bubble forever

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.

And if you can't fix it with a hammer,you've got an electrical problem!

Rides
    SM to the rescue again
    No probs

Your one of the few to find the farm without phoning for directions

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SM View Post
    No probs

Your one of the few to find the farm without phoning for directions
    I thought I was on safari trying to get there

It was great to get back in and move it, even if it was only a few yards down the drive. When I started this project, I couldn’t decide whether to dip the shell, have it electrocoated and resprayed. Cost wasn’t really an issue but it would have been around the £2K mark. Now that it’s almost complete I’m really glad that I didn’t as it’s retained some originality. There are a couple of very minor dinks in it and the usual stonechips but with a bit of effort it should polish up quite well.

This is just typical of me, I have refurbed everything down to the last nut and bolt but………

Quote Originally Posted by pdh 14a View Post
    Wow,seeing that being driven is like a child being born!
    You really should try to bring it to Prescott for us to all have a look at though Pete! It needs to be seen properly at 1 event before it lives in a bubble forever
    I have put an insane amount of time and effort into this car, the original plan was to tuck it up into the bubble and show it in a few years time. I just want to get it finished before I commit to showing it
    Last edited by Petrol; 28-11-2009 at 10:48.
    Pete