Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast

Thread: Time Attack: Prepare for Battle

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by marty_t3 View Post
    Looks a damn sight scarier in full screen than on the little camera display.
    No pun intended of course LOL

Rides
    WOW its been a while since Ive updated my project thread. Probably skip over a lot of detail but at lest Ive got some pics

After the bonnet meets windscreen moment the car went directly to the body shop. After a little investigation it was clear tin work had been at work at the top of the windscreen.
    I knew this for a while and was meant to be repaired when it was resprayed but it was just painted over.

A week or 2 later and it all looked so much better Thansk John. Hope you ve not had any issues with you timing belt since I set it up
    Apparently the windscreen afmost fell out as it was only really bonded to rust!

Though the roof and window were now ready for Ten of the Best the bonnet was a little worse for wear. It may be repair able but it would have taken longer than we had.

Rides
    Update!

looks tidy. Any news on my gearbox? Not that I'll ever need it again.

Rides
    So to keep the car road worthy I borrow the bonnet of Marty's silver S13 while we preped my old bonnet to be painted yellow.

While we were doing this we alos noticed the impact of the bonnet had remolded the roof so it was totaly flat! Glad we welded in the 2 steel ribs under the ali sheet.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post

looking good, would that rust not have been noticable from the inside, or do you still have a roof lining?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdawg View Post
    Update!

looks tidy. Any news on my gearbox? Not that I'll ever need it again.
    Ahem yeah. Still need to source a flat and get it built back up for you. Sorry
    I do have a bad happit of forgetting things, not just bonnets

Rides
    I don't need it anymore but the funds towards other things would be good if I could sell it.

Can't seem to shift my engine, must be the 'crunch'

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by muttley View Post
    looking good, would that rust not have been noticable from the inside, or do you still have a roof lining?
    No root lining but you cant se the rot from inside because of the box section there on the inside. It was noticable from inside though in the fact it rained in the car in a heavy shower.
    When I fell sleep in the car at Birch services at midnight on the way back from the Oulton Test day it was woken up as it was dripping onto my hands giving my a wet groin!

Rides
    Ten of the Best was a bit of a disaster. Having resolved the CAS miss fire issue using a modded CAS supplied by Phatbob I suddenly developed a miss fire when trying to set the boost up correctly on the vems the night before.
    Out of time we set up for TotB and hoped we could fix i there. Unfortunately it turns out there was a curfew of car movements after 7PM so only had 30mins to try and find the fault.
    Only had a few runs up the strip as it would miss at high RPM on boost. Even if we only used actuator pressure it would still miss over 4k revs. Did 2 runs on the handling circuit and even with a 4K rev limit I still managed to beat some scoobies! LOL

Rides
    I've been following time attack as close as I could this year. I should be at Snetterton this weekend

Rides
    so did you get it all sorted yak is it now running with out miss fire come on tell us

Rides
    We thought we best have a bit of a clear out of scrap at Marty's! 600Kg of scrap!

The Brands meeting was also just a frustrating. The little time we had been tween TotB and Brands ment we were pressed to find what the issue was. All the ignition components were swapped for known good ones. There was no DET detected and if it had been DETign it would have nuked it self by now. We check the fuel pressure by taping a gauge to the windscreen and driving up and down the M606! Event made up a custom loom for the CAS in case it was the old loom causing issue for the VEMS.

But to no avail it still would no run right on boost.

The a few hours before we need to leave for Brands it suddenly started running right on actuator pressure (17PSI) up till boost got over 20PSI so I had something i could work with at brands.

With all the rush I failed to take and pics or footage at brands
    During the warm up we thought we would try and up to the boost to 19PSI so I could get the most out of the car I could. Came in a couple of times to change the boost setting but never got the boost to raise. It turns out my boost solenoid would not work on my VEMS but it would work on SMs

The car felt quit good though I was missing the front splitter and monster canards that were fitted last year as I was getting quite a bit of under steer through paddock hill bend.
    As the boost control was not working we thought we would try the old school method and bleed of the feed to the actuator. Wend back out and it felt fast at the start of the session then seemed to loose speed as the session went on. I came in to investigate and as i slowed there was the unmistakable tractor noise of zorst issues.

On inspection it turns out it had sheered 2 of the manifold to tubby manifold studs and stretched the other 2! My self a Marty made a valiant attempt to swap tubby studs on 2 hours. We were not far off but they were running late in the morning they cut lunch short so I missed the Qualifying session Though it did drive out of the circuit taking a turbo off, replacing studs and put it back on cant be done in 90mins.
    Missed the lunch time briefing session too. Very dissapointing.

Rides
    Sounds like you had fun at Brands..... I pop up everywhere

Rides
    We had the Banzi photo shoot not long after Brands so had to get the car working again quickly. Fortunalty I still had on of the Apex prototype manifold that had had its mating faces reground ready to go back on. Unfortuanly I had forgotten that this manifold holds the turbo in the OE possision unlike the fleabay manifold that we had killed trying to change studs at Brands. So it was not a quick a swap as the core needed rotating again and the custom elbo did not fit any more. In the end we had to use a cut up preface lift elbo to get the car back on the road for the photo shoot.

At least the articly in the mag was good

Rides
    Oh the joys of boddgery

Rides
    Still having issues with running boost over 19PSI and not being able to diagnose the problem on the road due to it only showing up under load and boost I took the car for a rolling road session to see if we could work out what was wrong.

After lots of reading and the fact the miss fire mystifying every one I was sure it was a valve spring issue as it very rhythmic nature and soft loss of power pointed to spring. Even though the engine has been built with Frerra double springs.

1st rung on the RR the car ran fine at 17Psi. Nice and smooth. 2nd time with more boost it started missing but also there was a clear spray of fuel coming out the top on the engine! On closer inspection it turns out the the bottom rubber seal on No 3 injector has stretched and folded up and over the end of the end on the injector allowing boost and fuel chard to escape when the boost was turned up!
    I had inspected the injectors a number of times but it had never been spotted or as it is well hidden.

These were taken with all the loom and guff removed so we could take the injectors out and reseal them. Now they have some shims at the bottom to stop the bottom seals blowing out of the manifold.

Ive only got a Bren device to raise boost now but I have had it up to ~24PSI a couple of times and it seems that the miss fire is gone!

I hope, I hope I hope.

Rides
    Yay! So Snettertons looking good then?full power

Rides
    Fingers crossed yeah.

Rides
    Good luck

Rides
    fingers crossed for you mate