Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Attack: Prepare for Battle

Rides

Time Attack: Prepare for Battle

OK, I thought I would start a thread about my S13 and it preparations ready for Time Attack. It may not be the most powerful of cars (as its still running its original T25) but Id love too see if I can out drive some other other big power cars in the championship! and of course go up against SM in his monster S13 he has been building! (should have remembered to throw a spanner in it when I was helping build it ). Being me liking to be a bit different Ive decided that going after loads of power is just too expensive in terms of lap time per Łage. So Im going to aim t to reduce my lap times in other ways.

So Ill start from where I am now, go over the past at some point and onwards to Time Attack.

Being my usual organised self I got everything done with plenty of time to spare... have i crap. All last second as ever. Spent ages collecting bits. Ive had a R33 diff sitting here for almost a year now, plus other bits. There was this huge stock pile of stuff from last year when I bought the suspension package that was on Apex's S13 (some of which Ive still not fitted!).

Soooo Ive done the same again! This time its the drive chain and brakes that have come in for some attention. (plus a big gay wing and cage that aint in the pic)

Then last weekend (3 weeks before the first round) was a mad fitting session. HUGE thanks to Graham at DCMS. Our estimate for changing the diff, shafts, brakes and hubs by 5 (when DCMS shuts) may have been a little optimistic!

Was just about road worthy with the wheels mostly wanting to go in the same diretion though with no handbrake and not a lot of foot brake.

Sunday after staying up to watch the GP, finding out that both Halfords in Huddersfield and Bradford had run out of Castrol super response brake fluid I rolled into Marty_T3s garage to see if we could sort out the brakes. The handbrake wasnt to bad one I had figured out how to reattach it all back together. Started bleeding the brakes again to try and get a decent pedal. But as we were going the rears we could hear a tinkling coming from th BMC. It turned out there was a 2mm gap between the BMC and the servo and it was this that was causing the long pedal action!
    We also found on Marty's braker that the rod in the server is adjustable so could have been extended if the gap was still to big and the pedal rest position is adjustable so ive moved that down to where you can feel it starting to work on the BMC. Now the pedal is amazingly firm Been out for a bried play in the greasyness and it quite fun locking the rears!

Once I had brakes we started having a go at finishing off fitting my BGW. Another case of really underestimating how long it would take! The standard mounting point for the wing is near the centre but as the boot does not have much strength there I decided to fit the edges of the boot. This also meant i could retain the stock plank to keep the silhouette for sprinting regs. Making up brackets took a while but the thing that took the most was drilling the wing its self for its new mounting points! Its alloy but its not the most softest kind!

Got it fitted and mounted on the car using one of Martys spare planks to test my theory. I think it works quite well. Probably bit over the top to have a 3 part rear wing but... hey! Lol (pics to follow)

Still got bits to do and other tweeks to make but in a couple of weeks time Ill get to see where I am compared to all the other monster cars in Time Attack. Atleast for my profiel piccy I tried to look like a proper racing driver! lol

Last edited by Yak; 20-03-2007 at 23:19.

Rides

Hiistory

Ok so some history of the car.

I bought it back in October 2001. Was the first one I had gone to see and despite everyone telling you not to buy the first one you see I couldnt fault it. I was also pleasantly surprised in the colour as I was expecting it to be the light gray colour

It stayed standard for a year.. ish. And then had to replace the zorst and give it a service so it seemed a good idea to fit a mongoose and a K&N.

This pushed the boost up to 13PSI by its self and again I think it stayed like this for a year while I stock piled up mods to take it to stage 1 ending mods (can you see a pattern here? ). Put a Volvo FMIC, stage one chip and a few other bits on and took it to SCA. Gary while he was still there tweak the boost up to 16/17psi and it made 248BHP on the rollers back in december 2003.

From then its not really had any more done to it but did start getting bitten by the track day bug! I cant remember how many I took the car too in this state.( Ill fill it in later. )

Then at the end of 2005 myself and SM started getting interested in competing in sprinting. With my S13 and his silver shed
    Went to the first meet we went to at 3 sisters and to my amazement I was only a few 10ths behind SM! Remember I was still running pretty much standard suspension and brakes! Apparently the amount of body roll my car had was legendary but I was being to think I really should do something about this.

So when Apex handling package from their S13 cam up for grabs I bought that.

Again I was going from nothing but OEM stuff to everything!

I then competed in 2 more sprints/hillclibs where the honers where shared between myself and SM.. but I beat him on points over the round we had competed in!
    A few more track days including the SXOC mission to Spa and the nurburgring which was fantastic and to my amazement the car held up (even with my trying to kill it with some stupid errors).

Trax as well last year where I was allegedly the fasted SX on the track even though it was still running a T25 and standard S13 brakes. I keep telling people there arnt as bad as people say they are... but then Ive not had chance to try out these new ones... yet!

History in sig pics...

Last edited by Yak; 20-03-2007 at 22:41.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    Atleast for my profiel piccy I tried to look like a proper racing driver! lol

Looking good

nice work Mr Yak

Rides
    top job! with your driving i fully expect you to embares some bigger powered club drivers and probably scare the crap out of some marshals too

Rides
    You wont be last, of that I'm pretty sure

So next year Power upgrade

Rides
    looks good mate nice read too

i have sed this a few time now but..... i cant wait to see you lot in action!!!

damo

Rides
    I'm sure Ill scare myself as well

Well I'm going to end up running other of other things to mod except power at some point

Ive worked out that apart from the ABS unit and some brake lines leading to it, the rear hub carriers and the prop shaft there now is nothing original to the car in the suspension, brakes or drive train!

Rides
    Just remember to take your handbrake off and I'm sure you won't be last.

Rides
    Good work matey!

You're a damn fast driver to, yet so modest

Really wish we could have had more of a mess around at Brands last year without traffic though. At least if i was slower i would have been able to steal your lines and brake points

Rides
    You really want to use the braking points of someone with standard S13 brakes?

Mo mods, Mo problems

Popped over to Marty_t3's again last night for a few "quick jobs". Didnt end leaving untill 12:40 am
    Sorry Marty

Was later over there as I was trying to top up the diff with oil as we had forgotten to plug the oil cooler out pipe in the diff backing plate so it had been spitting oil out of it. I can now say the trying to get oil into the diff with a mongoose, polly zorst hangers and a lower rear brace is a REAL pain!

Jobs for the night were, change knackered rose bushes, attach front brake lines to hubs and fit steering rack bushes (that ive had kicking around for about 10 months now)

Started work and discovered that we had been a ikle slack tightening things up on saturday.
    Rear wheel nuts were finger tight
    Right TC arm to lower arm was missing a nut
    Left TC arm to lower arm nuts were finger tight
    Left upper front strut nuts were finger tight
    (adding to the BMC was 2mm off the servo problem that we fixed on saturday)

Did check over the rest at the front and the seemed OK. We had put the rear wheels on by now so didnt have chance to check them.

The steering rack bolts put up a bit of a fight but found the its much easier to catch a thread on the brackets if you use spare bolts out of the rear arms to get the bracket on first and the put the short bolts on once its clamped down a bit.

Called it a night at it was past midnight (oops) but them discovered problems on the way home. First one, as it was late, we had forgotten to nip up the front wheel nuts this time and I now have a knock from the left suspension somewhere. But more worryingly when steering some times it kinda bobbling / vibrating when going from lock to lock which i can work out what it is.

Rides
    time to take a leaf out of SM's book and take sime time off work to do it so your not working on it while your tired!

Rides
    Nice one Yak!

Best o' luck with the rest of the prep, and in the Time Attack.

*cough* What's wrong with last? *cough*

Cheers,
    Rich
    (Dead last at Silverstone in a 122bhp MK1 MR2 )

Rides

Mo mods, Mo problems
    Oh yeah, hadnt remebered that

I forgot to do up the front bolts once. When i realised and stopped to check, i was able to rock the wheel back and forth by and inch or so

I am now extermly vigelant when working on the car, to the point of checking all wheels that have come off loads of times!!

Maybe it would be a good idea to put a bit of white insulating tap on each wheel, then removing it when its torqued up.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanC View Post

Maybe it would be a good idea to put a bit of white insulating tap on each wheel, then removing it when its torqued up.
    Tippex is better for bolts that need to be tightened with the car on it's wheels and also for alignment marks to ensure they have not come loose

Rides
    Rear wheel nuts were finger tight - Blame Nismo Pete
    Right TC arm to lower arm was missing a nut - I told you I had lost one
    Left TC arm to lower arm nuts were finger tight - oops, thats me
    Left upper front strut nuts were finger tight - er ....
    (adding to the BMC was 2mm off the servo problem that we fixed on saturday) - that was me

It will be sorted for Monday

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanC View Post
    Oh yeah, hadnt remebered that

I forgot to do up the front bolts once. When i realised and stopped to check, i was able to rock the wheel back and forth by and inch or so

I am now extermly vigelant when working on the car, to the point of checking all wheels that have come off loads of times!!

Yeah, you would have though I would be a bit more anul about wheel nuts as once I had to stop twice at the side of the road after checking the rear pads but not tourqing one wheel back up. I didnt have a wheel brace in the car so burnt my fingers doing the red hot wheel nuts by hand...

... didnt particualy help that this was half way round the nurburgring!

Rides
    Well yet another case of underestimating time. Though I could get over to DCMS , get my alignment done and get back over here before I was late for work... but I didnt make it back in time

But the car is now set up with -1.75 camber at the rear and the front maxed out at -2.5 camber. Both with slight toe in. Also by the time I was driving back the steering judder seems to have gone but thats all good. Still got a nock in the right front from something but nothing is loose so ive not idea what that is... Ill just ave to wait and see if it gets worse to work out what it is. Im wandering if the ball joint is a bit shot.

Got to give some beans on the way home now all the wells are pointing the right way. Its so BRUTAL now but

Rides
    weight shifting to scrub off speed when they fade to death is hilarious though

Rides
    its all looking very impressive now

cant wait to see you and kev in action in a few weeks, im certain you will both do very well, especially after witnessing how mad you both are and how little regard you have for you and your cars safety

all the best

Rides
    all looking good yak

just remember your supposed to go through craner curves forwards not backwards