Thread: A Trip from The Netherlands to Scotland, what to visit?

Rides

A Trip from The Netherlands to Scotland, what to visit?

Hi guys/girls,

My father had the genius idea of him, my brother and myself visitting Scotland somewhere in May.
    We want to see the highlands there, to take a few nice pictures (i'm into photography).

What should we visit while we're there? We were considering Flying in there, since buying a boat trip towards the highlands is só expensive. We either have to pay a lot of money on petrol when docking in the South, or pay a lot of money for docking in Scotland.

Anyway, what we want to do:

- Visit a whiskey distillery, something like Glennfiddich, but that's quite a bit off-route if i'm not mistaking.
    - Take a nice walk through the highlands, to take some nice photo's (not a 500km walk ..... hehe).
    - Have a affordable bed and breakfast, with a close pub nearby to buy the much needed pints
    - Rent a car, we've checked some websites, and it's pretty affordable to get a opel vectra or something to pick up at Glasgow airport....
    - Perhaps, take a off-road tour with a Range Rover/Defender!

I'm pretty sure, there's some scottish lads here that can help us out, right? Which places are nice to visit, etc. etc.

Kind Regards,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBastaard View Post
    Hi guys/girls,

My father had the genius idea of him, my brother and myself visitting Scotland somewhere in May.
    We want to see the highlands there, to take a few nice pictures (i'm into photography).

What should we visit while we're there? We were considering Flying in there, since buying a boat trip towards the highlands is só expensive. We either have to pay a lot of money on petrol when docking in the South, or pay a lot of money for docking in Scotland.

Anyway, what we want to do:

- Visit a whiskey distillery, something like Glennfiddich, but that's quite a bit off-route if i'm not mistaking.
    - Take a nice walk through the highlands, to take some nice photo's (not a 500km walk ..... hehe).
    - Have a affordable bed and breakfast, with a close pub nearby to buy the much needed pints
    - Rent a car, we've checked some websites, and it's pretty affordable to get a opel vectra or something to pick up at Glasgow airport....
    - Perhaps, take a off-road tour with a Range Rover/Defender!

I'm pretty sure, there's some scottish lads here that can help us out, right? Which places are nice to visit, etc. etc.

Kind Regards,
    any where but edinburgh , full of gays and aids victims

Rides
    Ok when you land in glasgow get in the vectra and drive very Fast until you see "Thank You For Visiting Glasgow" if you make it that far your doing well

Dont stop for ANYONE, mind you in glasgow they nick your wheels while your driving, they run along side with trolley jacks

Rides
    Glasgow has more HIV cases than Edinburgh and has had for the past 10 years as they are all junky scum over there.

Okay, start at Glasgow, drive up the A80/M80/M9 to Perth and follow the A9 North from Perth. Leave the A9 at Pitlochry and visit this place, the smallest and most traditional distillery in existence and spend the night at Blair Atholl Arms Hotel. If you want to go white water rafting, 4x4 driving, quad biking, clay shooting etc, this is the time to do it.

Leave Blair Atholl still heading North on the A9 until you get to the A86 to Dalwhinnie, Laggan and Spean Bridge. Go to Spean Bridge and follow the A82 South to Fort William!! Fort William is at the foot of Britains highest mountain, Ben Nevis. Stop for the night at the Grand Hotel and enjoy the, erm , splendour of Fort William. It's a pretty shit and bleak town to be honest but it's a bed for the night and you can toy with the idea of walking up the mountain.

Cutting back on detail now as I realise this could take a while.

Head North for a place called Applecross, the place itself is pretty stunning and the roads around that area are all just amazing! After that, to be honest I'd probably head back to Edinburgh to spend a few days getting pissed with the comfort of knowing your not going to get stabbed by a junky Glaswegian, I get bored of grass and trees pretty quickly.

Rides
    not that far to drive up to loch lomond

Rides
    go to arisaig skye ect lovely clear water plenty of hotels beaches scenery oh and the RAF flying over at a couple of hundred feet lol.there is a place inbetween arisaig and malaig called morar thats where they made highlander and and a part of rob roy i think and it has sand dunes and the deepest loch in europe at 1000ft deep

Rides
    Get yourself up the West coast past locj lomond, keep going past Ullapool and onto Cape Wrath. Brilliant empty roads up there and stunning scenery, just watch out for the deer unless you are into road kill as there are loads of them
    Last edited by Storm; 24-01-2007 at 20:56.

Rides
    Thanks a lot guys

So it would be best, to have a bed&breakfast somewhere outside Glasgow for a couple of days then?
    Yes we were thinking about Perth, or even higherup, Aberdeen if possible, any nice scenery around there?

Rides
    Buy warm clothes. Buy more than you possibly think you'll need. You'll be wearing all of them all of the time

Rides
    Thanks a lot guys

So it would be best, to have a bed&breakfast somewhere outside Glasgow for a couple of days then?
    Yes we were thinking about Perth, or even higherup, Aberdeen if possible, any nice scenery around there?

stick to the west coast and work up then back down the east

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDunn View Post
    Buy warm clothes. Buy more than you possibly think you'll need. You'll be wearing all of them all of the time

Hehehe, thanks for the tip there Mr. Dunn, almost forgot that the UK is never a warm place when I visit it

Rides
    Thanks a lot guys

Personally I'd stick with the West Coast and maybe consider going over to Mull from Oban, really nice empty Island and a few things of interest. You can visit Iona from the SW of Mull and even visit Staffa with the famous Fingals Cave, well worth a visit but only if its hot!

Rides
    Stu's idea sounds good, could also come back down the A82 from Fort William driving through Ballachulish and Glencoe. Stop off at the Devil's Staircase and have a wee walk up there, plenty nice scenery around those parts. Then as you get back towards Glasgow you go along the side of Loch Lomond, also loads of nice scenery around there too

From the Pap of Glencoe

Rides
    Thanks a lot guys

if you end up in the central belt stirling is not too bad
    and got a few touristy thing's local plenty pub's
    bit quieter than bigger city's
    glasgow,aberdeen ect...
    the further north you go the colder it get's so bring plenty warm clothes