Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S13 diff case + S15 HLSD core install

Rides

S13 diff case + S15 HLSD core install

hy
    some time ago i have bought a S15 HLSD core + shafts, today i have installed it, evrything seams ok, except this play, i must say that all the parts had a good wash with carb cleaner and there is no oil on them

what is your opinion on this is this ok or not, what shold i do if this is not ok (i have installed corectly the spacers and thid most of the tests that were in the service manual, and they were ok)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7rYvKc0uM
    Last edited by ByReaL; 13-01-2007 at 11:16.

Rides
    did some messurments on the play and i messured how much the blue dot on the picture travel forword and backword and in seams it moves about 0.2 - 0.3 mm

i do not remember if the S13 diff had such a play when i removed it, and i could not found anything in the manual regarding this

Rides
    no one had any experience with diff rebuild ?

Rides
    Howdo,

Mine definately clunked a bit and it was built professionally,though I can't tell you how much play there was.
    There are figures in the manual.

Rides
    hello neighbour
    I have two diffs, that have that type of "clonk" on it, I suppouse that's normal, and get's better when the diff warms up due to high speed operating

Rides
    Once mine arrives and I get the guy who built Jezz's to build mine i'll get him too keep an eye out for play . . . that many not be much help to you though as it's gonna be about a month away I recon! lol.

Rides
    you need to get the back lash and pre load figures for the diff and set it up properly im not sure on how to adjust them on this particular diff need to pull 1 apart to have a look. that play your seeing is exsesive back lash

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by suprmek1 View Post
    you need to get the back lash and pre load figures for the diff and set it up properly im not sure on how to adjust them on this particular diff need to pull 1 apart to have a look. that play your seeing is exsesive back lash
    prolly shims on these diffs which makes it a slow and laborious task but still a damn site easier than explaining how to

Rides
    Yeah it is shims.
    Page PD-34 of the manual.

Rides
    i did the test on page PD-23 and it was fine, nice print on the center of the tooth.

on page PD-34 i read:
    "drive pinion to ring gear becklash 0.10-0.15 mm"

from what i understand this is the "play" i'm talking about, but where should i do this mesurment, betwen witch diff parts, and were, and with what tool should i see if my diff is in this range ?

the answer is on top of the page PD-28, but extra details interest me because that picture in the manual is to small to understand how the dial is used.
    Last edited by ByReaL; 14-01-2007 at 20:37.

Rides
    You need a dial gauge and you need to measure from the outer wear edge of the ring gear, I'm pretty sure that the workshop manual shows the details on how to set the measurement up.

The best description of the four critical settings for the ring and pinion can be found here:
    http://www.ring-pinion.com/ContentFr...n_Settings.inc
    You won't need to worry about pinion depth though.

Rob

Rides
    thanks everyoane, it seams i have to mesure the play in the right way with a dial, and adjust the diff untill it is in the recomended range.
    Last edited by ByReaL; 17-01-2007 at 13:30.

Rides
    did all the mesurments that required a dial today, and they all are in the specified range exept the becklash witch should be 0.10-0.15mm acording to the manual and it was 0.15-0.16 acording to the dial, but for that extra 0.01 mm i'll not do any adjustement because all the other values are ok.

thanks again SXOC

Rides
    does anyoane knows the torque specs for this nuts/bolts ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ByReaL View Post
    did all the mesurments that required a dial today, and they all are in the specified range exept the becklash witch should be 0.10-0.15mm acording to the manual and it was 0.15-0.16 acording to the dial, but for that extra 0.01 mm i'll not do any adjustement because all the other values are ok.
    That 0.01 is not worth worrying about if everything else is good. I've read that some drag cars run 0mm backlash (I'd not like that because of the potential for damage caused by heat expansion) and that going for the largest value allows for better cooling as theres more room for oil, the downside is that the diff can be noisy with more backlash. Noise I can live with.

Rob

Rides
    no one knows the torque specs?

as you can see for that bolts the torque should be there but is out of page in the manual

and for the second picture there is no reference about the torque for the bolts that are used to close the diff case.

Rides
    I think you'll find most peple just do it up tight! (Well I do anyhow LOL )
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides

PS: if i'll not find the info i'll do as you

Rides
    Did you bolt the S13 crownwheel to the S15 hLSD core? If so I had to make up a lot of tubes for the bolts as the holes in the S15 core were bigger than the bolt diameter of the S13 crownwheel.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez View Post
    Did you bolt the S13 crownwheel to the S15 hLSD core? If so I had to make up a lot of tubes for the bolts as the holes in the S15 core were bigger than the bolt diameter of the S13 crownwheel.
    You don't have to do that, the clamping force of the bolts is enough to hold it in place.