Thread: Free Credit Report

Rides

Free Credit Report

Has anyone signed up for the free trial on experian?

Basically, if you sign up you get access to your credit report for 30 days for free. It would then be 5.99 per month afterwards. I'm just wondering if anyone has done it and was it easy to cancel when the free bit is up? They take card details on application so I assume it would roll on into full account status instantly when the 30 days is up.

Basically, six years ago I got a stupid default on my credit report (b*st*rd ex-missus) and it was due to come off automatically on 12th January 2007. I am itching to know whether I am now 'clean' again but don't want to test this theory by applying for a card or something incase it hasn't worked and I'm still regarded by the credit world as a tramp, this would only leave a big dirty footprint on the report.
    Last edited by Stevie-Boy; 15-01-2007 at 14:26.

Rides
    I have just signed up for it. It automatically turns into the paid monthly fee after 30 days.

That isnt a problem for me as i am in a position where i need to constantly check my rating at the moment

Rides
    I might just go for it, really itching to know what it looks like right now.

Only other wonder I have is the fact that there are three different companies that are used for reporting. It seems that Equifax charge about 17 quid just to see your report once!!

Rides
    I have been told by a few independant financial advisors (as i am currently looking for a mortagage) that Experian (www.creditexpert.co.uk) is the best as it is the cheapest. I dont think there is any difference between experian or equifax etc.

Its taking them ages to sort out the pin numbers for logging in at the moment.

Rides
    Just done mine on saturday with creditexpert.co.uk (Experian) but did'nt bother with Equifax.

My brother did both and got a GOOD rating from Equifax and FAIR from Experian

they must use different scoring systems I suppose

Finance guy we use said Experian gives you more information and is used by more banks etc than Equifax.

Rides
    I did it and its pretty good - however one worrying factor is that it didnt show my mortgage on my credit file!!!!

Quids in I say! lol

Rides
    Once you get that report, is there something on it that basically summarises everything and says yep you're cool or nope, this is a poor report?

In my eyes, the report might look fine. I did email experian and they told me that the default would automatically come off after 6yrs, I'm just worried that it hasn't for some reason.

Yup I shall join up when I get home and take a look, cheers.

Rides
    I signed up for the free trial at creditexpert.co.uk to have a look at the state of mine. Asked to cancel before the trial ended and they conveniently didn't for a few months, despite my nagging. Got a refund in the end.

Rides
    with Experian I got a huge 7 page print out of mortgage,bank account ,phone accounts & bank loans etc etc

then I clicked on my score and it basically give you a score 0-1000 and highlights one of the following

Very poor / Poor / Fair / Good / Excellent

Rides
    Ahh thanks, so you basically get a load of background info then at the end you see a score which translates to a credit condition, eg fair, good etc.

Nice one thanks for all info.

Dan E, exactly what I guessed would happen! Least you got the cash back like.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie-Boy View Post
    Ahh thanks, so you basically get a load of background info then at the end you see a score which translates to a credit condition, eg fair, good etc.

Nice one thanks for all info.

the report is free but the score is 4.99 (I think I payed for it and I did'nt need to )

Rides
    I signed up just after tea and still waiting for the confirmation email. Swines, don't they realise I have no patience!

Rides
    Well i got my pin ode through yesterday and managed to check my credit rating

999 out of 1000 which is about as good as it gets and that is with missing 1 in 2 payments on a credit card (they kept cancelling my direct debits for some reason but i managed to catch up the next month again)

The higher the rating the more chance of getting loans, credit cards, mortagages etc.

Well chuffed as i thought mine would be poor

Rides
    just done it to you shud get commission for this

Rides
    I signed up to the 30 day trial when creditexpert first started up.

Phoned them up after 25 days usage, actually spoke to a human, not an automated machine, told them I did not want to continue after the free trial, and they cancelled it with no hassle.

No mix-ups, no "accidental" charging or anything.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcapade View Post
    just done it to you shud get commission for this
    That'll be £10 then please

I would recommend it to anyone to be honest as it doesnt affect your credit rating like it would if a bank/credit card company did a search. Your own personal search doesnt show up in your credit history whereas commercial searches do and the more you have done the worse your credit rating will be.

Rides
    I finally got a mail saying they couldn't identify me and I have to sent in original documents for identication, bugger!!

Quicker to send off for two quid one which is what I'll do!

Rides
    got to the end for it to say it doesnt except switch cards wtf...

no doubt it would say it cant identify me too as i have moved 4 or 5 times over 4 years and I know i have crap credit as i cant even get a capital one card.