Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: spec s to spec r !!! (conversion)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by V-MAX View Post
    Ben, cheers, I'll look it up.
    Mitch, I asked Albert on S15oc how he did his conversion and his answer was funny but not helpful... something like he got some man to do it! LOL
    Mitch are you taking your car to Peter at Fabricage for a measure up? If not I will try to get mine over to him? We need to find out how close an S13 one is? Or it's a made to measure for the S15?
    Yeah, I got that answer....some man in Moscow made it. Oh well.

Tell you what. I'll do the legwork on the cage and you sort out the wiring loom
    Member 504

Rides
    Max, PM me your number. I've been to Fabricage. Have you sorted out the loom yet?
    Member 504

Rides
    Holy shit... You don't hang about do you.
    Errm I haven't sorted the loom yet but I do have an idea...
    I'll pm you now

Rides
    Here's a list of the F4 pinouts that I've just compiled (took a couple of hours).

VMAX - perhaps you could compare it to the notes you've got, see if it sort-of agrees (would be less hassle for you than posting it all, I expect )

I suppose the next stage is to say what pins correspond to what on each harness (although the names match in most cases) - I'll look at that later. The only slightly taxing bit is the 12V power wires as they're arranged slightly differently on the S15 (there's just the one, combined relay).

Rides
    LOL, just kidding Max-I didn't expect you to have sorted it already

John-that's great mate. Does that mean with the F4 plugs I'd cut the one off the S15 engine loom and splice it into the one on the S14 loom...for example S15 pin 1 to S14 pin 30 and so on?

PS Good note at the bottom
    Member 504

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    John-that's great mate. Does that mean with the F4 plugs I'd cut the one off the S15 engine loom and splice it into the one on the S14 loom...for example S15 pin 1 to S14 pin 30 and so on?

PS Good note at the bottom
    Yeah, that's the general idea I was thinking you could extract and re-arrange the pins, but they're not all the same size so it mightn't work. Anyway I'll try and start an equivalence list later.

I'm putting that footnote on everything I write since I saw a suspiciously familiar looking SR20 guide on ebay

Rides
    John, I 'll check tonight... I have a scanner so I can scan and send via e-mail some of the ones if you need but it looks like you are well on the way already...
    I was thinking about what Ben said, using the s-spec loom comparing it to a R-spec loom and just adding the missing wires (making them up ourselves) BUT I haven't been able to get hold of an R-spec engine loom yet
    I will dig out my spec-s engine harness tonight and take a look at the pins in the F4 connecter and see whats not there to meet whats in the M60 connecter (if you know what I mean )
    Glad you guy's are onto this as I had lost a lot of my momentum in building the car because of this problem...

Rides
    How is this looking so far? I'm a bit of an amateur with looms and ting...
    Member 504

Rides
    I've just gone through John list and my print-outs and it all matches up, infact your phrasing makes more sense to me. The missing info for pins 3, 32, 39, 40 is all throttle position sensor stuff (TCM).
    Amazing if you did that in a couple of hours John, it took me days!

Rides
    John,
    Ive just e-mailed you a couple of exploded view scans from the M60 S15 and the F4 S14a. They show wire colour and what each pin are for and pin numbers . Hope it is of some help?

Rides
    Following on from the above, I've been through John's S13 SR guide to find the essentials to run the S14 SR20DET. Does this make sense? If so, there are only a few more wires to match up. If not....erm, I dunno
    Member 504

Rides
    I've edited the document to show how I'd make a start at wiring it (there's a couple of changes to what you suggested Mitch - wire 40 needs to be joined to 2 destinations in order to get the current (it's a 30A fuse on the S14, but a pair of separate 10A fuses on the S15).
    I've added Max's data to the list too

To make the consult port work, you're going to have to add the clock wire to the S15 consult plug and add an extra pin, I think (or just wire the plug from the S14 onto the S14 ECU harness and leave in in the S15 passenger footwell).

Rides
    So would;
    41 Wiper off go to wiper auto stop, also would it need the washers and earth fitting?
    48 need a 12V feed?
    31 (AAC) need a feed?
    23 & 24 (Boost sensor) need anything?

We're getting there.....

As soon as I receive the S15 loom from Max, I'll give it a go.
    Member 504

Rides
    Sent the loom today, posty lady said it should be with you Monday...
    I compared the wires from my drawing of the S14a F4 connector against the S14a connector I have and there is a few differences with wire colour that may be worth noting for when we re-pin. Not sure why I have it different?
    pin 12 is Green-Yellow, service manual says Green-Orange
    pin 13 is Grey, service manual says Green-Yellow
    Pins, 9,26,27 are all missing, but refered to on the service manual
    I don't know if this effects us yet but I would like to know why it doesn't match up? I'll look deeper into it tomorrow

Rides
    Ok so ive just had a better look at the pages from the service manual and the pins that are different in colour are all to do with stuff we don't need like ABS and nuetral position snesors etc so i guess it doesn't matter that they are different colour... Should of checked before posting

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    So would;
    41 Wiper off go to wiper auto stop, also would it need the washers and earth fitting?
    48 need a 12V feed?
    31 (AAC) need a feed?
    23 & 24 (Boost sensor) need anything?

We're getting there.....

As soon as I receive the S15 loom from Max, I'll give it a go.
    Give 48 12V if you're keeping the EGR crap, 31 is the aircon AAC so it's not needed.
    If you're using a bleed-valve thingy, then the boost sensor isn't needed. otherwise you'll have to get the sensor, its plug and wire 5V, sense and ground onto the ECU harness.

I'll need to think a bit more about the wipers, it may require a bit more grafting of cables, as they appear to have changed it around a bit in the S15.
    I'd settle for getting it started first

MAX, I've cocked it up a bit with the NATS - there's no NATS for the S14 harness (I got carried away with the cutting and pasting as I did the S14a table first, then edited it for the S14).

Rides
    I'm not using any of those, so that's alright. I just wasn't sure about pin 48 because it says EGR (LHD) and I thought the "EGR" bit was meant to be grey as well as the "(LHD)", leaving the 12V IGN needing a feed. If that makes sense

I know what you are saying about getting it started first, but I thought I'd see how much could be sorted before taking the car off the road to do the job, as it's my daily driver. I guess wires can be added as required for the wipers later, as you said. I've got some Rain X kicking about

Well it appears to be getting there The S15 loom should arrive Monday so I can start on that Is there a list of wire colours available or will I just need to label them up, or just write them down when I see them?

Many thanks for all your help so far, John
    Member 504

Rides
    Can you guys confirm this? The S14a uses NATS so I would need to do Johns mod of keeping key,halo,IMMU ECU all together as a matched set...
    And does the S14 have no NATS to worry about?
    Mitch, your just using an S14 loom arn't you?
    I have found a S14 engine loom and ECU for sale BUT its from an AUTO. Does that matter? I want to keep it simple and the same as Mitch if poss.
    Cheers

Rides
    Don't panic about the S14a NATS. You do need all the bits like in the S13 SR20 guide, but it's not difficult to wire it in at all (I'm doing on this evening to go in an S13, as it turns out ) . It's not worth forking out for an S14 ECU just to save on less than an hours worth of wiring. You can tape the key in the halo, shove it in the passenger footwell and never worry about it again

If you need any pointers, just say

Rides
    Mitch, maybe I'm missing something, but what are you using an S15 engine/ECU loom for?

I was imagining that all you need engine connector and wiper-wise is on the S14 harness and you're just rearranging the pins on connector F4 (which should fit the S13) Or are you going to attach the ABS computer bit and use that to drive the speedo?