Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: spec s to spec r !!! (conversion)

Rides
    Could you do the legwork in exchange for some tokens that you could exchange in any UK store for beer? I'd only be mithering you when I've messed it up anyway
    Member 504

Rides
    Have I scared you off?
    Member 504

Rides
    I might have gotten this all wrong. But isn't the pinouts in the service manual?
    I had a page from the manual when I tried to locate a speed signal for my EBC.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Have I scared you off?
    Nah, I'm going to do it, I just looked at the service manual, and what I'd already written and thought 'F*cking hell, this could take a while'

Yakozan - there's pinouts in the manual for sensors and things that go through connector F4, but there's no pinout for connector F4 itself, listing what every wire does. This is because it's just a junction connector that wires pass through so they haven't deemed any need to describe it.

Rides
    Would it be a case of finding out where the feeds come from on the S15 to attach to the SR20 connector as per the S13 SR conversion to get the engine to run? Shame they didn't mark it in the manual but like you say, there'd be no real need under normal circumstances as it's only a connector.

Also, is there a way of keeping the speedo whilst ditching the ABS? That was a real problem yesterday on track, so I want to replace the lines and route them straight from the master cylinder to the calipers, but still keep track of how fast I'm going
    Member 504

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    Nah, I'm going to do it, I just looked at the service manual, and what I'd already written and thought 'F*cking hell, this could take a while'

Yakozan - there's pinouts in the manual for sensors and things that go through connector F4, but there's no pinout for connector F4 itself, listing what every wire does. This is because it's just a junction connector that wires pass through so they haven't deemed any need to describe it.
    I stand clueless. But I'm on a need to know basis, and I don't need to know

this is the diagram I used for my S15
    http://www.mys15.org/S15_Tech/ecu.htm

Rides
    Would it be a case of finding out where the feeds come from on the S15 to attach to the SR20 connector as per the S13 SR conversion to get the engine to run? Shame they didn't mark it in the manual but like you say, there'd be no real need under normal circumstances as it's only a connector.

Also, is there a way of keeping the speedo whilst ditching the ABS? That was a real problem yesterday on track, so I want to replace the lines and route them straight from the master cylinder to the calipers, but still keep track of how fast I'm going
    I've sort of already done enough to get the engine to run - look at pages 10 and 11 of the SR20 into S13 guide. You'll see all the important signals to get the engine to run and the differences between the S14 and S15 connectors. It'd be a case of swapping around the wires on the S14 connector to match the S15 connector. The remaining signals are mainly wiper and ABS stuff .

When I had the S15 drivetrain in my S13 I had no speed sender whatsoever, so I made a circuit to tap off the rear diff ABS sensor and convert it to drive the S13 speedo. You could do a similar thing with the Dakota Digital speedo interface.
    Alternatively just keep the S15 ABS computer and ditch everything but the rear diff sensor - that's all it needs to keep driving the speedo.

Yakozan - It'll become clear at some point...I think

Rides
    Thanks again John. I guess I'll need to find the F4 feeds for the Spec S then, or are they same as the Spec R? Apologies for the questions, but I'm more spanners than electrickalness

With regards to the ABS- I can ditch all the ABS pump and all that guff and still keep the speedo? If so, that would be a result. Where does the ABS computer reside-is it behind the drivers seat area behind the interior trim panel?
    Member 504

Rides
    Thanks again John. I guess I'll need to find the F4 feeds for the Spec S then, or are they same as the Spec R? Apologies for the questions, but I'm more spanners than electrickalness

With regards to the ABS- I can ditch all the ABS pump and all that guff and still keep the speedo? If so, that would be a result. Where does the ABS computer reside-is it behind the drivers seat area behind the interior trim panel?
    There's always the remote chance that F4 in the Spec-S is the same as the S14/S14a - in which case there'd be no need for any of this. I guess Albert would know...
    It's a pity there's no service manual on the spec-S though

Yep, I reckon the ABS computer would keep driving the speedo, even with the rest of its bits ripped out. Here's for the downer, wiring-wise though - it's on the ECU harness (little black box near the ECU)

Rides
    I was hoping Albert had a wiring diagram of some sort
    Member 504

Rides
    Mitch and John...
    Ive got all the pages downloaded and printed from S14 F4 connecter and S15 M60 connecter, from hours trolling through the service manuals. I did this and put the info into an exploded view of each connecter to compare but they seem to use different terminology from one manual to the other so I still couldn't make head nor tail of it!!
    Your welcome to have a copy if you want me to send it all to you?
    Maybe you can work it out?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by V-MAX View Post
    Mitch and John...
    Ive got all the pages downloaded and printed from S14 F4 connecter and S15 M60 connecter, from hours trolling through the service manuals. I did this and put the info into an exploded view of each connecter to compare but they seem to use different terminology from one manual to the other so I still couldn't make head nor tail of it!!
    Your welcome to have a copy if you want me to send it all to you?
    Maybe you can work it out?
    Hi,
    I'd definitely be interested in a look, I can compare it to what I compiled If you get a chance, please send it to johnwbennett@hotmail.com

Rides
    Do you think it might actually be easier to keep the Spec-S harness and just add an aditional custom loom to the engine bay?

Provision for the camshaft position sensor, coil packs and a couple of other bits is all it would need I would have thought... Then just use a PowerFC to run it (no NATS to worry about).

Rides
    John, I have all of these pages in hard copy so not so easy to send via e-mail... It's easier for me to try and photo copy at work and send by post. There is over 50 pages per connecter...
    You set me thinking when you said there was no service manual for the S-spec. So I will take a look at my S-spec loom and see if it is the same as the S15 service manual says, to see if S-spec and R spec uses the same loom or not? I'll try to do this tonight
    Ben, that sounds a good idea... I have a power FC, does anyone know if the Power FC is the same for S14a and S15?

Rides
    The S15 service manual is for the ADM S15s. Both ADM Spec S and Spec R are SR20DET.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTaylor200 View Post
    Do you think it might actually be easier to keep the Spec-S harness and just add an aditional custom loom to the engine bay?

Provision for the camshaft position sensor, coil packs and a couple of other bits is all it would need I would have thought... Then just use a PowerFC to run it (no NATS to worry about).
    Would it not be easier to find the feeds from the S15 main loom for the S14 engine loom to get the S14 running, as John has done most of the legwork already? Also, PowerFC will add another 500 quid or so, which I don't have at the minute.
    Member 504

Rides
    Also, I have PM'd Albert on S15OC. Hopefully he'll be able (and willing) to shed some light as he has done the conversion.
    Member 504

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by V-MAX View Post
    Ben, that sounds a good idea... I have a power FC, does anyone know if the Power FC is the same for S14a and S15?
    The plug is the same, but a couple of the pins are in different places (it's listed on here somewhere)

Rides
    Ben, cheers, I'll look it up.
    Mitch, I asked Albert on S15oc how he did his conversion and his answer was funny but not helpful... something like he got some man to do it! LOL
    Mitch are you taking your car to Peter at Fabricage for a measure up? If not I will try to get mine over to him? We need to find out how close an S13 one is? Or it's a made to measure for the S15?

Rides
    Right, I have just checked they M60 connector on my Spec-S harness and all but one wire is the same as the service manual for the S15 which Nicely said was ADM SR20DET S15.
    The only difference was pin 6 on mine is Pink and the service manual says it should be Blue-green. This is page EC-123 Overheat (cooling system)