Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: spec s to spec r !!! (conversion)

Rides
    Advan,
    I mean D1GB now known as EDC spec, so probably not as exotic as some D1GP cars but its going to be constantly evolving as I get more into the project. I have to get it running first to be sure I have the electrics working from one car to the other, I am a bit worried about this part as I am rubbish with electrics then I can put on some of the upgrades hopefully in time for the first round/Licencing event? although its looking likely to be only semi ready due to time restrictions...
    Parts I have or have on their way include:
    Roll cage, Power FC, AVCR, GT2781R, Tubular Ex Mani, Z32 AFM, 740 injectors, Mazworx Z32 Gearbox conversion kit, Tein rods etc

Going to the show on friday to see if anyone has any special offers on

Advan
    Quote Originally Posted by V-MAX View Post
    Advan,
    I mean D1GB now known as EDC spec, so probably not as exotic as some D1GP cars but its going to be constantly evolving as I get more into the project. I have to get it running first to be sure I have the electrics working from one car to the other, I am a bit worried about this part as I am rubbish with electrics then I can put on some of the upgrades hopefully in time for the first round/Licencing event? although its looking likely to be only semi ready due to time restrictions...
    Parts I have or have on their way include:
    Roll cage, Power FC, AVCR, GT2781R, Tubular Ex Mani, Z32 AFM, 740 injectors, Mazworx Z32 Gearbox conversion kit, Tein rods etc

Going to the show on friday to see if anyone has any special offers on

Ahh excelent!
    Looks like your well on your way then!
    Good work with the Z32 box. Aparently it's the way forward for S14's

Rides
    I made conversation Spec S into Spec R.

I put sr20det black top from 180sx RPS13 with 5speed manual transmission. Brakes from Skyline r32 (I think after my winter project 400hp+ will change it).

Rides
    Albert,
    Can I ask you what you did with the engine harness / dash harness and ecu? I have searched a lot for the same conversion but most are either turbo to turbo or in the US KA to sr20det...

I have the s14a engine harness but read it may be possible to modify the sr20de harness?

What did you do? Any advice is appreciated, cheers..

Rides
    U'd be better off getting the Sr20Det harness with the engine, less hassle! And the spec-r ecu

Rides
    Channie_boy, Ive got the S14a engine - harness - ECU - NATS STUFF - (even the car if more is needed) but the plugs in the S15 for the engine harness to car dash harness dont look exactly the same? The main plugs look the same but with diiferent amount of wires in each? I didn't want to just plug it all in and hope
    I am hoping Albert or someone has already done this kind of swap to give me the heads up? As I mentioned earlier, wiring is not my strong point...

Rides
    pm ;-)

You need to connect the engine harness from s14 with yours (from s15 sr20de)... so download pinouts...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    pm ;-)

You need to connect the engine harness from s14 with yours (from s15 sr20de)... so download pinouts...
    does the ECU from SR20DE work with the s14 harness cz its a non turbo ECU? or the SR20DET s15 spec-r ECU would be ideal?

Rides
    No it doesn't work. If u have engine from s14 u need harnesses and ecu from s14 too... About s15 spec r ECU I don't know... mmaybe will it work good... but I prefer to buy PFC or E-manage (with s14 ecu).

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudandy View Post
    i'm about to turbo my s15 too, with a s14 engine. good luck
    Missied the fact you were using an S14 engine! Same as i said before but use the harness and ECU from the S14... originally thought you'd sourcered and SR20 from an S15 Spec-r (Hence thread title!). The harnesses and ECU's are specific to each other... unless you want to start cutting wires.

Rides
    What about using an S14/a engine, S15 (Spec-R) wiring loom and an S15 (Spec-R) ECU and change the injectors to that of OEM Spec-R ones?

That would then negate the need for making sure you have NATS from the S14/a.

Rides
    Forgot about the Nats...If the S14 loom and ECU was used wouldnt you need the S14 ignition barrel???? Still tinking it would be easier to use all the S14 parts... it all matches and you could it all straight in.
    Altough if you are looking for a stock S15 ECU and injectors... i'll have both for sale mid feb!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Channie_boy View Post
    Forgot about the Nats...If the S14 loom and ECU was used wouldnt you need the S14 ignition barrel????
    Nope, get the ECU, the plastic halo around the key barrel, the key and the IMMU box hidden near the ECU. Solder the whole lot together, tape the key in the halo and bung it all in the footwell (see my S13 SR20 fitting guide in FAQs - same procedure ). This is for the S14a system. Nats won't matter at all for the older S14 harness as it's unrelated

Rides

Was goin buy a dodgy clifford alrm fitting diagram... looked like the whole thing was on unit!
    Isnt it just a matter of linking a few resisters together to by-pass it?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Channie_boy View Post
    Isnt it just a matter of linking a few resisters together to by-pass it?
    Not the NATS2 in the S14a - the ECU looks at the IMMU box which looks at the key. They all have to have the same code in them, or the ECU will cut the engine after a second. I'm not sure what's involved to remove it from a UK ECU, but it would be a lot more involved than a few resistors.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blinx View Post
    What about using an S14/a engine, S15 (Spec-R) wiring loom and an S15 (Spec-R) ECU and change the injectors to that of OEM Spec-R ones?

That would then negate the need for making sure you have NATS from the S14/a.

This is what I will do but you'll also need to have s15 coil packs if you do this...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    If u have engine from s14 u need harnesses and ecu from s14 too.
    Could you tell me how to use this setup in a Spec S please? How did you adapt the looms to fit, or is it straight plug and play? I want to fit my engine fairly soon but would like to get any wiring issues sorted first.

Thanks
    Member 504

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Could you tell me how to use this setup in a Spec S please? How did you adapt the looms to fit, or is it straight plug and play? I want to fit my engine fairly soon but would like to get any wiring issues sorted first.

Thanks
    They're not plug and play, I can assure you (or the ones I've seen aren't)- be careful
    The connector, F4 - the big white thing that the ECU harness uses to connect to the car, that's got a totally different pinout on the S15 to the 2 S14's (look at my SR wiring guide and compare the table for the S15 to the S14s).
    The S15 also has the ABS computer on its ECU harness, so when you bin that you lose the speedo signal.

edit: mind you that's comparing a spec-R - a spec-S S15 could have the same F4 pinout as an S14, so I'll pipe down, incase I'm totally wrong

Rides
    Where do I get a pic of the pinouts again?

Many thanks John, you've saved me more than once
    Member 504

Rides
    That's ok

There's no actual labelled F4 pinouts in the S14/S15 manuals (I had started to write some, if I can dig them out I'll put them on here) . What I had to do was trail through the EC and EL sections, where it tells you what pins individual signals and sensors use, write them down and eventually you've got all 48(?) pins worth. The ones in my guide are enough to get the engine started, but there's also ABS wires on the and wires for the windscreen wipers.