Page 15 of 65 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: my car rebuild thread

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    i did think that then realised link the divided pipe together and ruin the twin scroll affect
    Hmmm, yeah maybe. It does look like the internally wastegated variants of the HX series do only bleed off one scroll though(from what I can tell from these pics: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=363160) Maybe you'll get away from only wastegating only one collector, especially as the 6pots they're originally run on have less power overlap and more gas flow but from doing a little more research, it does seem to be more efficient using twin wastegates, more money and space required though

Rides
    Just to add too, that full race make both configurations for the SR20DET for the twin scroll although they do say this abouth the twin gated one "this manifold can produce more power than any other configuration on the market and is sure to stand up to even the most demanding Nissan enthusiasts".

HTH,

Kris

Rides
    where are you getting the bends/pipework from to make the manifold? I was going to make myself one too but don't know where to get the pipework from
    Thanks

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M200sex View Post
    where are you getting the bends/pipework from to make the manifold? I was going to make myself one too but don't know where to get the pipework from
    Thanks
    i got this lot off a member on here but the last lot i got from here http://www.allstainlessltd.co.uk/ very good to deal with

these are the elbows 1.5" http://www.allstainlessltd.co.uk/pro...fitt_elbow.gif
    Last edited by ex-ctr; 10-01-2009 at 21:34.

Rides
    Awesome cheers bud.

some good progress, are you done with the shell now bar painting? what power/boost are you going for?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M200sex View Post
    Awesome cheers bud.

some good progress, are you done with the shell now bar painting? what power/boost are you going for?
    shell still needs work, bracing to the front turrets, about a months work [evenings and weekends] engine threads here [might swap a few things out and fit a stroker kit and 90mm pistons]

Rides
    manifold so far

Rides
    what setup is that ? what is your idea on doing a manifold locating the turbo like that?
    not criticizing, just wondering/curiosity.

Rides

just need to finnish the welding then sort out the twin waste gates

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by TM_S13 View Post
    what setup is that ? what is your idea on doing a manifold locating the turbo like that?
    not criticizing, just wondering/curiosity.
    all will become clear in the next couple of months

Rides
    and now this bracket is scrap as its done its job, the turbo and manifold will be hung and suported by rose jointed adjustable rods

Rides
    Are you going to clean up the welds on the inside? Also, is the turbo side flange pictured going to be replaced with something thicker? Just thinking once they're faced, it may be alittle thin.
    Look forward to seeing it completed Any idea's on finishing? Worth getting it ceramic coated?
    Keep up the good work

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectS14a View Post
    Are you going to clean up the welds on the inside? Also, is the turbo side flange pictured going to be replaced with something thicker? Just thinking once they're faced, it may be alittle thin.
    Look forward to seeing it completed Any idea's on finishing? Worth getting it ceramic coated?
    Keep up the good work
    the plate on the collector is just a support as i don't have a flange yet, all the joints are tight and im arc welding so will get very little internal contamination but do have a wire brush on a flexi drive to clean where my route will no reach
    and its going to be heat wrapped with proper ceramic wrap not the cheap coloured glass cloth off ebay

Rides
    Have you considered getting the inside of the runners shot blasted to clean and smooth them a bit more, would help to give a good finish.......

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Colwell View Post
    Have you considered getting the inside of the runners shot blasted to clean and smooth them a bit more, would help to give a good finish.......
    I always wondered if this was possible, i thought it might hit the first bend and wear a hole through

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Colwell View Post
    been warned never to shot blast anything internal on an engine as the media can get stuck and come out at a later time

Rides
    I've also read that its a good idea to sand blast (as long as its cleaned out thoroughly afterwards), also part of the same guide, its mentioned that an over night hot bath of caustic soda also cleans away all the scale and metal particles internally.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ex-ctr View Post
    been warned never to shot blast anything internal on an engine as the media can get stuck and come out at a later time
    Not if it cleaned properly, you know, not just in the sink..........lol

If you use a proper company to blast it then they should have the means to chemically clean the manifold with heat afterwards, it will be fine.

Rides
    well its all arc [stick]welded up, hopefully when i release it from the jig it doesn't turn into a banana, i welded 25mm on each runner and kept repeating until the lot was done, hoping to reduce stress build up, getting hold of a blasting cabinet to clean it up, i might even cheat and go over it with my tig set to pretty it up a bit

had to get out as the fumes where killing me and i was getting showered in hot slag from the welds

need to sort a flange for the turbo and decide where the twin waste-gates are going

and yes im a messy git

Rides
    Nice work, with a flap disk you should be able to smooth all the welds and make it look one piece Although will be difficult in between the runners, an air powered belt sander shoulld be good for that

Looks great, certainly provides some inspiration Have you thought about how your going to contor the pipe/flange joint? I'm assuming you already have the divider in the collector, just curious how your going to mount the flange without making a large step (hope that makes some sense, basically thinking along the lines of port matching so theres a smooth transition beween collector/flange/turbo).
    Last edited by Kyle @ H-Dev; 12-01-2009 at 17:09.