Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200SX in Scumball rally

Rides
    For handling, I would get some rear locking pineapples. If you can afford it, some lower springs ARBs and good alignment would come in handy. Obviously decent tyres help, even with its very tailhappy in the wet. Oil cooler definatly for sustained high speed runs, if your running more then 12psi I would recomend a front mount intercooler, much higher and get the fueling checked out, maybe a jez chip for fuel economy benefits. Oil temp guage wont be needed with an oil cooler IMO. Prob best to keep the stock rims to make the car look cheap, some nice matt black spray will also make it look less then 1K.

Brakes, if your going to do anything sustained on track on the journey, new discs and some ferodo ds2500 or at least some mintex (no where near as good but half the price. Obviously some new fluid. Check the clutch is in good order if your planning to do fast starts running more then 260bhp the standard kit might not be up to it. Also you can remove the clutch damper to make the clutch more controllable and easier to bleed.

http://www.zeroyon.com/index/content/view/32/47/

post in the wanted section and bump for anyitems you want if no one has ads for 2nd hand kit.

Check engine thoughly too

Rides
    I'm sure after all the help you'll receive off here, hope you're going to put a nice large SXOC sticker on it

Last edited by shane; 13-11-2006 at 22:47.

Rides
    Take a look at the blaggers guide to S13 modification for some inspiration...

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=63508

If you could get a Saab or Volvo front mount intercooler and feel happy to chuck it in then I'd suggest it - more of that turbo pressure will make it into the engine and make you go faster A stage 1 chip and a 'bren device' (dawes device really) wouldn't go a miss if you can get one in for for sale section... at 15psi the T25 gives a nice punch to the car you'll be more than happy with.

Oil cooler would be very wise for long runs of over 100mph too.

Otherwise its up to you but my personal #1 priority would be ARB's

Rides
    What is an ARB?

I will be pluging the club , thats why I joined and I will be putting plenty of stickers.

Where is the best place to get the oil cooler if I want a new one.

Vaughn

Rides
    ARB = Anti Roll Bar - the Whiteline ones are thicker & uprated.

Try the for sle board for some second hand kit , or find a cooler off ebay (BMW M3 ones are a good size! ), get hold of a cheap ish sandwitch plate and get your local hyraulics place to make the pipes up.
    GMasterT Heavy Industries!for all your Widget needs

Back to Jap with Mk2 Aristo & Nissan Elgrand

Rides
    http://www.thinkauto.com/ is a good place, but yeah 2nd hand should obviously be cheaper. http://www.gaugeplace.co.uk/ is very good too, they'll do sandwich plates, take offs, gaauges and possibly coolers too.

Both very well priced and full of genuine 'non boy racer' knowledge.

Rides
    Dont forget :-

For quick reliable service and excellent customer support, if you cant get a hold of second hand kit:

http://www.apex-performance.co.uk/
    http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=30

APT for a top notch garage that wont charge the earth, for anything you dont fancy DIYing or any issues you cant resolve.
    http://www.sxoc.co.uk/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Rides
    Surely the point is to complete the rally and all money should be spent on making it as reliable as possible?

Run it at standard boost, full service inc. top quality fluids, fit oil pressure and water temp gauges, etc etc, no point it being a bit quicker round the ring if that is where the trip ends!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30something
    Surely the point is to complete the rally and all money should be spent on making it as reliable as possible?

Run it at standard boost, full service inc. top quality fluids, fit oil pressure and water temp gauges, etc etc, no point it being a bit quicker round the ring if that is where the trip ends!
    Yeah, I kind of agree with that, isn't it supposed to be £1000 including the cost of the car? So how much have you got left to spend? Surely not enough to be considering Jez chips, DS2500 and ARBs???

Rides
    The car will be reliable with an oil cooler, and will handle well with ARB's - nothing else need be done really. Oil press. gauge tells you enough to know what's going on in the engine and the rest is communicated by rattles

That can be done for £1000 wihtout too much hassle even if the ARB's were bought from Apex at £250 a pair, but of course the american ebay market shows you can get them much cheaper anyway and 2nd hand is always going to be cheap. Skint people know these things

Rides
    brakes?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by razza987
    Yeah, I kind of agree with that, isn't it supposed to be £1000 including the cost of the car? So how much have you got left to spend? Surely not enough to be considering Jez chips, DS2500 and ARBs???
    Yes but they might not necessarily know that you might have been lucky and bought the car with all that kit.

Rides
    do you think this'd pass for a 1k car ?

with standard wheels and exhaust ?

Rides
    I reckon it would providing there's no shiny FMIC and blue samcos running everywhere under the bonnet. But what if they offer to buy it off you for a grand?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibbers
    I reckon it would providing there's no shiny FMIC and blue samcos running everywhere under the bonnet. But what if they offer to buy it off you for a grand?
    A s13 with one or two basic mods perhaps, but then again its a very old car s14s arnt so old and there probably worth about 2.5K in bad condition.

I expect the mods for the rally will be using the glasses guide

Rides
    Na, you won't get away with that S14.

Rides
    You don't think? I've seen them go very cheap... it would be cutting it fine I suppose and if they use book prices then yeah could be problematic.

Poor condition M reg S14's have gone for £500 before, depends if you'd be allowed to buy a car for that, fix tubby, HG or big ends or whatever was wrong with it and then enter it or not? you need a can of spray on rust (or a lampost to smash into)
    Last edited by Sibbers; 16-11-2006 at 10:26.

Rides
    Nah your right, been looking around for cheapo bargains and there's none under a grand that could afford the work needing done.

Rides
    well i was gonna put mine up for sale at the end of the month for 2k as it is.

most ppl with good condition s14's sell them or try to for 2200 - 2800

i just want rid of it.

if they offered to buy it off me for 1k i would but then id rag the shite off it in the rally

Rides
    But part of the fun is to see if you can do it in a car thats cost you under a Grand.

It is all about having fun and rasing money for a good cause.

It's not a race it's a mobile party

I am going to stay with the sprit of the thing and keep the spending on the car to as close to £1,000 as posible.

I will get it through it's MOT and then see what money I have left. Next on the shopping list is an oil cooler. As getting there and back is the most important thing. Then I will look at ARBs etc.