Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 200SX in Scumball rally

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra
    Christ sake you bunch of Pansys S13's arent that bad.

I know of a vgc Auto that has had the shells done that will be going up for about £700 with no rust anywhere on it - mine only cost a grand and Ive done the best part of 10K without any probs either

Go for it mate - just check the car out before buying it, same as if you were going to keep it yourself
    I would assume a lot of 140mph autobahn action so I would get a bit paranoid and over do things.

BTW oil cooler very good idea too maybe a couple of flush throughs of oil/ add a magnetic sump plug. All depends on if you can get one with good service history, unlike NA cars turbos tend to make sludge of oil pretty quikly when not changed and things die. Id even change the oil/filter half way through the run.

Rides
    Yeah I agree with the oil cooler for runs of above 100mph for any amount of time.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_t
    BTW oil cooler very good idea too maybe a couple of flush throughs of oil/ add a magnetic sump plug. All depends on if you can get one with good service history, unlike NA cars turbos tend to make sludge of oil pretty quikly when not changed and things die. Id even change the oil/filter half way through the run.
    Agree with this, if you get it in plenty of time before the event then drive it lots in preparation and do lots of oil changes (like every 500miles, cheap oil is fine as long as it's fully synth) to try and get rid of the crap that's almost certainly built up from the years of neglect that most S13s go through.

If you go the oil cooler route make sure you fit an oil temp gauge too (only ~£25 off eBay) last thing you want is to be over cooling the oil

Cheap springs and dampers from somewhere and weld the diff (I was serious, best cheap mod EVAR!)

Rides
    If your going to do long distances the I wouldn't weld the diff, the tyres might not last long.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_s13
    If your going to do long distances the I wouldn't weld the diff, the tyres might not last long.
    And it'll drive like shit too. You'd only want a welded diff for drag or drift. For living with they're fun in a clown car kind of way

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibbers
    And it'll drive like shit too. You'd only want a welded diff for drag or drift. For living with they're fun in a clown car kind of way
    Indeed. People looking at you like youre some kind of child murderer because your tyres are squealing, regardless of the fact you are only doing 0.1 mph

Wet roundabout - shall I understeer and shit myself, or oversteer and shit myself??
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Ah come on you wusses, my daily driver is MIG-spec and I'm sure lots of others are too - people do look at you a bit strange when you're parking but meh!

Wet roundabout = handbrake

It's the Scumball rally guys, a clown-car style approach is totally required

Rides
    Thanks for all the replies.

I live in Gillingham, Kent.

I will take any help I can get.

I might weld the dif up afterwards as I do want to keep it and do some Drag Racing/Drifting. but I will to the Scumball 1st.

Also do all the Jap car shows next year too.

There are a couple on ebay at the moment that look posibles. The only problem with those it that are a long way away and I can't check them out. However, I have sent them a message saying that I am going to use the car for a charity run and do they think the car would make it. I am not holding them to it. After all what do you expect from a car that cost a couple of hundred quid I also asked would it be OK if I came with a film crew to pick it up?

As yet I have not had a reply

Vaughn

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Vaughn - if you dont mind an Auto Ill have a word with the bloke I know - he had an engine replacement recently and will only be looking for 7-800 notes for it
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Yeah Vaughn , I'd advise scanning this place for cars - you're gonna get a better deal and people like the good doc are worth checking out too. Some people here are more honourable than others but I'm sure all are more honourable than ebay

Rides
    Thanks for the offer but I only want a manual.

I will keep an eye on the for sale section and see what comes up.

Vaughn

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn
    Thanks for the offer but I only want a manual.
    Good man, autos are

Rides
    Me and a mate were on about doing the Scumball rally last year but it never really happened. Some steals to be had down the local car auctions not far from me, some cars were just going out the door for silly money, there was a Primera GTI with a full ticket that went through at £200.

Always fancied doing the scumball in a big old merc, jag or beemer.

Rides
    I mist admit that a big Jag or a BMW were discussed, but the 200SX won

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Sibbers
    Good man, autos are

roflol

Rides
    You can of course get a manual popped into it, its more important that the engine is in top condition and set up with safety margins and cooling for high speed endurance.

May work out better to get from a trusted board member then ebay too.

Rides
    I aggree that a member would be best.

I will keep looking in the for sale section and if any one comes across one please let me know.

Vaughn

Rides
    who is running it next year?

The guys from Goodwood or the guys from London?

Rides
    I have bought my 200sx S13.

I got it on Ebay and I am picking it up Tuesday week.

The engine, gearbox and all the mechanicals seem fine. (Famous last words)

The owner also had a load of spares. Turbo, head,etc.

The car failed it's MOT on rust. which I can do.

So once I have it through the MOT I want to do a few upgrades.

what about:

Strut Braces?

Brakes?

Oil cooler?

oil temp gauge?

Advise on what and where to buy please.

Vaughn

Rides
    I would say strut braces are a waste of money, certainly at the early stages anyway. For handling, aim for whiteline anti roll bars. I personally think the brakes are OK (not amazing, but good enough - money better spent on tyres or ARB's imo)... I would definately suggest an oil pressure guage and sensor if you can do it, it'll keep you less paranoid out there... Don't think I'd like to be without one anymore. A temp guage you can do without (you can kind of guess judging by the oil pressure) but it would be nice.

all my humble opinion of course, I'm sure others will differ.