Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Offshore working

Rides
    http://www.hazelleng.com/vacancies.cfm

http://www.oilcareers.com/worldwide/

http://www.bakerhughes.com/careers/index.htm

Try these chaps.
    There are also alot of body shops around too that may be worth dropping a cv to. They may want you to have paid for your own survival ticket though.
    90% of the guys in my job are geology grads the other 10 are mostly engineering grads. HAving said that my boss is an ex RAF thought he did come via the workshop.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by stumitch
    Oi you As Dai has said i work for KMC Oiltools as a Solids Control Flunky and if your serious kkydd and have your required certificates i'll give you a name for us as we are always looking for mechanics/fabricators as its a double role and would be saught after, starting salary is £175 a day for the trainee's but if your a good enough hand and are prepared to work, get a contract & you'll be on around £32k - £38k doing a 2 and 2 rotation BUT be prepared you'll never know when your home from 1 month to the next with most service companys.
    Yeah I am serious and I don't mind starting at the bottom as I have relised I don't want a office job.

I take it I would be best getting my certs as soon as then as it would help in the search.

Rides
    I've just spoken to my misses who has worked in HR for a few offshore companies. She says that allthough having the survival cert would be an advantage if a service company wanted you they'd pay to put you through it.
    thats what happened to me when I started. i dont think a body shop would be too keen to go that route though. You could always apply firts and see what response you get.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugger
    For coming up with that one even at 4.47am lol
    Thats the beauty on been on nights mate
    kkydd i know our company won't even look at you with out the certs but others may, i have heard of a few companys flying to Stornaway college and asking ppl there if they would like a job and then paying for everything. Till you get in such a position with any of the service companys they will traet you like a dog giving you feck all notice before you go offshore and sometimes the pay will be very poor, but when you get to Dai's and boombastik's kind of level then you can buy a 200sx every month, eh Dai

Rides
    yeah stus right I earn about 52k a year but end up spending 65k lol

Rides
    Guys, I have started looking at the webpages listed above but I am getting a bit confused over the positions and having difficult finding companies that don't want 3 years offshore experience.

Rides
    Dont woory about that just submit your C.V to all uk companys they might decide that they want you after reveiwing your qualifications, you still have a visus fan 4 sale ??? i'll take it if you have

Rides
    yeah, you can have it for postage cost if you can get me a job

Rides
    I've just graduated in Aeronautical Engineering. I had an interview with Schlumberger 5 weeks ago for a graduate drilling engineer role. It was actually an assessment day with 10 of us and it lasted 8 hours! I didnt get the job as they were not happy with my practical test. Which was some sort of pressure valve in peices which I had to assemble from a photo copy diagram and awnser question about it. Your pretty screwed if you have never seen anything like that before. I reckon my best point is my hands on skill (My S13 helped me with this). They didnt think so though.
    I've registered with oilcareers.com and they do have a few jobs coming up. I also went to a recruitment agency in Aberdeen and they are passing my CV to suitable jobs that come up.

Ideally I want a hands on job (drilling engineer), however if a graduate design job was offered to me, I would probably take it. I've heard there is a shortage of design engineers in the oil industry.
    I'm firing my CV to every oil company, but having no luck! I'm currently working for British Aerospace in Yorkshire as a Technical Assistant. I got the job purely because of my CV, my boss didnt even interview me and offered me the job straight away. So my CV cant be bad

Job is pretty boring here. I'm on the computer 9-5 and its doing my head in! Which is why I think a drilling engineer would suit me. Also its sub-contracting work, so I'm only staying here till January.

If anybody has any contact, let me know

Tonnie

Rides
    Drilling engineering isn't hands on at all, its a desk job, designing wells. If you get a job with an operator you may get some offshore time in acting as an assistant to the drilling supervisor, doing all the shite jobs like measuring bits of pipe in the rain.......Its always in the rain.
    Ten years ago the starting rate was around 27K , it'll be more now. The sky is the limit after that. A lot of drilling engineers are day raters on mega bucks.

Rides
    I know that there are hardly any jobs that are hands on now if you are trying to get high up in Engineering. I suppose thats the problem in Aeronautical.

If I wanted a hands on job I would need to do an apprentice, which is a job for school leavers on £12k a year and no need for qualifications. However the design engineers and project managers are on mega bucks here, which is who I work with.

I think the oil industry has more prospects than Aero and most of the companies are in Aberdeen, which is closer to home for me. Plus the money is better
    I have learned now that the Engineering I am planning to do will involve a lot of thinking and less physical, which is fine. I just think it would be interesting goin offshore, different countries, 12 hour shifts etc

tonnie

Rides
    How about MWD/ LWD? Offshore, a mixture of desk work and hands on (in the rain) HAve a look at the baker site.

Rides
    This will give some info on MWD/LWD

http://www.bakerhughesdirect.com/cgi...myHomePage.jsp

This is a link to Bakeroiltools, they run completions and pre production equipment. A lot of the guys working for them seem to a mechanical background, any use Kkydd?
    http://www.bakerhughesdirect.com/cgi...myHomePage.jsp

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kkydd
    Guys, I have started looking at the webpages listed above but I am getting a bit confused over the positions and having difficult finding companies that don't want 3 years offshore experience.
    Ignore the 3 years bit, everybody is after people at the moment.

Rides
    to be honest with you your better off not getting the job with schlumberger as they have a tendencie to brain wash there employees into thinking there the best company in the world and they clearly arent just a word of warning weatherford are the same but not as brain washing

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by boombastik
    to be honest with you your better off not getting the job with schlumberger as they have a tendencie to brain wash there employees into thinking there the best company in the world and they clearly arent just a word of warning weatherford are the same but not as brain washing

Though cant comment on weatherford.

Rides
    Could any of you guys recommend some companies that may be looking for electricians, I don't have any degree's etc i'm just a plain old industrial sparky but I don't know where to begin looking to get off-shore?

Cheers

Davie

Rides
    try AMEC or Petrofrac or KBR you would maybe ebnifit from getting your survival certs your self then signing on to an agency

Rides
    I thought that would be the best bet to get my own survival cert but it would be nice to know I would get a look in I wouldn't want to fork out on the cert and not get any trips off

Rides
    Or any of the drilling companies, KCA duetag, Global Santa Fe, Transocean.Something I should have thought of earlier is the Press and journa, friday is jobs day.
    try here
    http://jobs.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/