Thread: S13 ISO block and aerial adapter reference numbers

Rides

S13 ISO block and aerial adapter reference numbers

To all fellow ICE newbies:

The code numbers and following advice relate to the adapters required to change the standard Clarion head unit for something more sexy;

PC2-13-4 for the ISO Harness adapter and

PC5-87 for the antenna adapter

+ when fitting wire the black earth wire from the ISO adapter directly to chassis of the car, as there is (confusingly) no earth lead in the nissan standard connectors.

Note: until you wire the earth in to the chassis the unit will be 'live' from the power backup memory lead - which is always on for obvious reasons - which is why the electric aerial goes up ! Don't panic, it will behave itself properly once you have wired the black wire to earth.

For further fitting advice also see

Quote Originally Posted by Ramps
    The earth goes through the chassis - see this pdf and Nene's post (No 2) in this thread

-o0O0o-

The best price / source I have found for both the ISO kit AND the mystery adapter, purchased as a discounted kit together is

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...ssan/200sx.htm

The ISO kit can be found on egay on its own for about a fiver combined price + postage

For the antenna adapter alone egay draws a blank. The best price I have found for the adapter on its own is

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...p?partno=PC587
    Last edited by Evan Jones; 13-09-2006 at 12:42.

Rides
    Last edited by Evan Jones; 04-11-2006 at 14:58.

Rides
    Modest Bump

Rides
    I would just say that it's a really good idea to disconnect the battery before doing anything like this.

On most cars it's relatively ok to connect/disconnect the headunit, but the lack of earth makes this advisable here.

Also, you may need to earth the outside of the headunit seperately. I've seen ISO adapters that include a wire to do this, but whether you'll need to or not is something you will have to test with a multimeter after installation If you don't get continuity between the metal of the headunit and the chassis after it's fully screwed down, then you will have to pull it out and make an earth yourself - the bolt on the back which isn't needed because it's a japanese car should be quite handy for this Having said all this, the metal case should be earthed via the mounting plates, but you never know, it's best to spend 30seconds checking instead of wondering why there's lots of noise coming through the speakers Don't make a seperate earth connection to the chassis of the headunit unless you have to, that way lies ground loops.

Rides
    Good advice to disconnect the battery while doing the job, I agree.

But not sure what yout mean by

Quote Originally Posted by nene
    Don't make a seperate earth connection to the chassis of the headunit unless you have to, that way lies ground loops.
    All I did was connect the black earth lead going from the new stereo head unit to the ISO connecter block to the chassis... Not a new or separate earth connection as I see it, nor one unintended by the manufacturer.....

And what the hell is a ground loop when it's at home ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Jones
    And what the hell is a ground loop when it's at home ?
    It's where there's a loop formed in the ground circuitry that acts like an antenna. It picks up all sorts of noise, especially 50Hz hum from mains electricity which is all around you, and produces an annoying whine from the alternator.

You wouldn't think this would have an effect would you? What happens is that instead of the signal producing sound relative to the ground, the reference ground itself moves and super-imposes on top of the normal signal.

Rides
    modest informational bump....

Rides
    Three years to make this thread sticky Sorry folks

Rides
    sorry... propper newb to wires - im not getting any power to the head unit... although the antena is going up... is this because i havnt wired the earth? or would i still get power to head unit?

just bought an ISO adapter... if i should be getting power (which im not) il send it back lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by M4rk3y View Post
    sorry... propper newb to wires - im not getting any power to the head unit... although the antena is going up... is this because i havnt wired the earth? or would i still get power to head unit?

just bought an ISO adapter... if i should be getting power (which im not) il send it back lol
    You need to wire in an earth to the head unit Cut the black wire on the adaptor and extend the radio end of it down to one of the gearstick rubber gaitor bolts Works a treat

Rides
    Just so people know, Have found a few places on ebay that do the twin pin aerial adapter for much cheaper than halfords (£15)

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_nkw=n....c0.m270.l1313

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC5-87-Nissan-...item2559b4f788

Just thought id post it up on here for future reference for people.

Rides
    I'm running an ISO adaptor without an earth wire. As far as I can tell the earth is though the antenna shield, I have a proper Diversity adaptor. Antenna works as it should.