Thread: Project Not Long Now S13

Rides
    thats awesome man!

Banned
    Rides
    ace project report mate

Rides
    Thanks for all the reply's

Well hello to you from the new Projects Area!

Got a few more goodies

The Q45 maf went on ebay and I managed to get this Z32 one for less than what I sold the Q45 one for Also in there is an AEM UEGO wideband sensor, which should help me from blowing my engine up whilst on the way to gettin it mapped by Jez I havent seen this wideband a on sxoc yet and have no reports of how good it is so will have to suck it n see Comes with the Bosch LSU4.2 sensor so it cant be too bad and I got it for a good price. Thought I'd treat myself to a (probabbly fake ebay jobbie) Nismo oil cap to tart up the engine bay a bit. Spoke to the welders and they only came back to work this Monday so Im still waiting patiently
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Looking like a good project mate, i've just done the walbro and those pipes were nightmare! so i feel for you

You can get the braided water lines from hose solutions on ebay. I havent tried any myself but they seem to be reasonably priced.

How much did they charge you to modify the downpipe? I got quoted £130 to do that!

Just done the same caliper change on mine, got the 300zx rears too and it makes a big different to the S13 jobs!!
    S13 No2 :: Refresh in progress

Rides
    mate hats off to you well done !! looking amazing so far keep it up

Rides
    Thanks for the replys! Sorry no pics just a quickie.....

Quote Originally Posted by Drift-On View Post

You can get the braided water lines from hose solutions on ebay.

How much did they charge you to modify the downpipe? I got quoted £130 to do that!

Just done the same caliper change on mine, got the 300zx rears too and it makes a big different to the S13 jobs!!

Yeah I see that on ebay just after I made my home brew version If my one dont leak then Im in no rush to change it but may do when the occasion comes that there is nothing else important to buy.

Talking of the downpipe I got it back today (3rd time, and only tacked) and it fits , it cost me £30 so far, but I need a sensor adapter putting in it now so I guess £60 for the time they put in as the flange has been off and on 3 times now! Where did you get quoted £130?!!
    Last edited by Pablo13; 14-02-2007 at 08:41.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    looks great mate! i would of packed in by now lol!

Rides
    Hello Long time no post!

Well I have got me downpipe back finally. After all the messing about they only charged me £50 in all, and I got the thread for the sensor put in to not the best fit but atleast its on now. Scuse pics, couldnt get flash on phone to work for some reason

after some discussions with people I worked out that the reason it was smoking bad was overfuelling and not burning oil (phew) meaning I did not need to pull it apart again

So I put out a SOS on the SXOC for lend of a afm and drifting dal came though for me.....leading me to start this thank you thread and see the V8 S13 close up
    http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=266983

Heres is a pic of the old afm, you may just be able to make out the crack to the right of my thumb
    Last edited by Pablo13; 25-03-2019 at 20:52.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    As Thursday draws closer-going to see Jez for custom map. I was getting more and more worried it wouldnt make it as the bugger still wouldnt start, even with the new AFM It turned out it was flooding, but no amount of fuel pump fuse pulling and spark plug cleaning would seem to cure it, so I rummaged my old spark plugs and found an old set off my wrx. Luck would have it the are the same size and being they come from a turbo jap car a similar heat range too. Whacked em in and she fired straight up I let her run for a bit and put in some antifreeze, then took her for a quick spin round the bock to check all is well. Lambda guage is all plumbed in but I havent cut another hole in my dash yet as im usure if Im keeping all my existing guages so its resting on the passenger seat with me keeping a close eye on it Strangely its reading 11.2 at idle. A new set of plugs have been ordered from apex and all being well should be here tomorrow so I shall whack them straight in. Also today while I went round the block I noticed that when I dip the clutch the revs drop to 500 and i have to blip the throttle so keep it from stalling . I quick search in S13 tech has revealed that the most likely culprit is the IAC valve so that will be off for a clean tomorrow.
    Last edited by Pablo13; 02-05-2017 at 17:50.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Well today I took her home from work as I have the rest of the week off to get things sorted. Loving the 4x4 stance .

Here is my temporary place for my AFR guage I've been keeping a close eye on as I drove very slowly home
    Last edited by Pablo13; 25-03-2019 at 20:53.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    As promised today the plugs came from apex

Even my mut approved

I drove home today very slowly and very fookin loudly as the old exhust back section would not mate up with the downpipe so its exiting at the downpipe at the mo I called up Hayward & Scott today who are custom zaust manufacturers and they can fit me in to make my final section for my side exit exhaust tomorrow Also being incororated into that is one of these bad boys

Which should quieten down things a tad Been quoted £100ish for it which cant be bad So that means a slow drive to them tomorrow followed by another even longer slow drive to jez Thursday.

Stay Tuned!
    Last edited by Pablo13; 25-03-2019 at 20:54.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Top Stuff

Rides
    its cming along nicely mate...so all this slow driving mate..are you just being over cautious?
    good to see your getting somewhere...im glad your girlfriend doesnt mind you getting your car sorted since mine keeps having a spaz bout it.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by japdrifter_s13 View Post
    its cming along nicely mate...so all this slow driving mate..are you just being over cautious?
    good to see your getting somewhere...im glad your girlfriend doesnt mind you getting your car sorted since mine keeps having a spaz bout it.
    No the slow driving is needed Ive been watching the AFR guage and it has been reading lean. So If I drove it normal I would get some serious engine meltdown As for me girlfriend im even giving her a lift back to work in a bit so she can drive my WRX for the first time back home. Not bad coming from someone whos had a complex over the scoob for over a year now....BTW she owns a E30 RWD BMW
    Last edited by Pablo13; 28-04-2009 at 17:52.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Well im back from Hayward & Scott with my new side exit exhaust

The Apexi ECV is in there too but i have not fitted the cable so I got them to zip tie the valve half closed and it does sound quiter I know from the pics It looks a bit low, but It has already passed stage one of the speed bump test with no scrapes to report of The final idea for it is to have it incorporated into a sideskirt at a later more cash filled date! Also Managed to get another 100 miles under its belt before the trip to Horsham Develpments tomorrow......cant wait as I cant seem to go over 50mph without the afr reading lean All in all, a good day has been had.
    Last edited by Pablo13; 25-03-2019 at 20:56.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo13 View Post
    Well im back from Hayward & Scott with my new side exit exhaust

The Apexi ECV is in there too but i have not fitted the cable so I got them to zip tie the valve half closed and it does sound quiter I know from the pics It looks a bit low, but It has already passed stage one of the speed bump test with no scrapes to report of The final idea for it is to have it incorporated into a sideskirt at a later more cash filled date! Also Managed to get another 100 miles under its belt before the trip to Horsham Develpments tomorrow......cant wait as I cant seem to go over 50mph without the afr reading lean All in all, a good day has been had, my only gripe is I had to spend 3 hours wandering a basildon industrial estate while I waited for it to be made up........which was nice Dont think the smell of open sewers helped either as over the other side of the road was a sewage works mmm, lovely!

how does it sound mate?

Rides
    Yeah its not too bad. As I said the flap is half closed so it could be even quieter (or louder )if needed but how it was was fine, possibly a bit loud for some but its live-able for me. Still have to route the cable for full on the move adjustability
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Few! What a day! after a careful slow drive to Horsham Developments the fun began. Me being a numpty forgot to take any photos while I was there I was all ready and had brought my Z32, 444s and even a spare ecu! After a little chat we decided to modify a stage 2 chip to work and keep the boost to 10psi for now until I have a boost controller fitted and got 1000+ miles out the way.
    that also keeps the original injectors and AFM in place. Also Jez thought my 444cc injectors would not be enough for the setup so he bought them off me and has recomended I find some 555s for next time . Anyway, we cracked on and jez plugged his ecu into my car then into his laptop and we went for a drive up the road. All went well until the end when I blew a boost pipe off After a quick search we found the culprit to be a jubilee clip that wouldnt tighten up propperly so swaped that out and all was ok. My temp guage hasnt really been reading above the first mark for the past few days. The boot up the road highlighted a leak coming from around the termostat area which I thought was a pipe I tightened previously but there are so many pipes there its hard to tell exactly where its coming from. I plumped for the thermostat today (as it was one part I have never removed). When I removed it I found out that the thermostat in it does not have a jiggle/gangle pin in it so assumed its a pattern part and could be causing an air lock in the system. I re-fitted it to get me home and sealed it with some red nissan sump gasket sealer Its got me home and even went to just under half way on the motorway, but as soon as you slow down it goes back down again A original nissan thermostat has been ordered so we will see if it helps, but when I got home a popped the bonnet its was still leaking, so I guess a more indepth strip down of that area is required. Well at least I can drive it with out fear of blowing it up now and its got 500miles under its belt
    Last edited by Pablo13; 16-02-2007 at 09:52.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    I got myself a genuine thermostat and gasket from nissan, complete with jiggle pin

Whipped the old crapper out which I belive has something to do with my wierd temp readings and compared it to the new one, quite different really

Bad pic but you can just make out the tiny but important pin on the side which is rather, er.... important it seems!

Then I cleaned up the faces what where covered in a mix of nissan sump sealer and broken gasket as best I could with a scraper and finished it off with a bit of wet n dry on a block of wood

Now I had a feeling it wasnt the termostat itself that was causing the leak. I thought Id change it as it was causing the temprature fluctuation, and on the off chance it could well be the thermo cos it was leaking in that area and I hadnt been able to identify quite where else it was leaking as it has been dark when ive looked. So once the thermostat was back on I went round the water pipes in that area and checked all the clips for tightness. Gingerly I started to fill with back up with water. Two kettles in and I start to hear a drip on the floor. After a quick search in the daylight this time it looks like a pipe about the diameter of a 50p and no more than two inches long, directly to the left of the thermostat has a tear in it. Which I am happy about, now I know what the problem is, but not so happy that my local nissan is now closed and I cant fint any pipe to fit it I will whip it off later and hopefully find a substitute for it at work monday
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Yesterday I managed to get the old pipe out which was quite a mission as you have to disconnect lots of electrical connections and a few pipes to actually get to it. The hose leaking was connected to the pipe to the left of the thermostat.

And the offending hose.

Managed to find a bit of pipe laying about the same dia I cut to size and it all went back ok. I fired it up and filled up with water, after about the 3rd kettle I knew there was still another leak as it kept taking the water. It was getting dark again so I gave up until today. Got home from work and had a look in the rad, and it hadnt really gone down a great deal, so it was only loosing it under pressure when the engine is running. So I started it up again and repeated the water filling, had a quick look underneath and I could see a drip coming front the front of the engine right in the middle. I traced it back up and found it to be my 500mile old nissan metal impeller'ed water pump (and nissan gasket) leaking I was quite taken aback Its gone already all I can assume is the gasket hasnt seated propperly, so that will be coming back off for inspection probably and going back on with hermatide or similar to give it a good seal. Its only a drip at idle but as soon as you rev it I get a waterfall down the right side of my block Quite nice if you like that kinda thing....couple of bonsai trees in there and you'd have you own mini garden

If its light when I get back I will start the strip down tomorrow. Do need a good torch
    bstmeetbllk