Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Not Long Now S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo13 View Post
    No hole enlargement was needed, although it was still quite a tight fit. I had to loosen off the 5 other cover bolts to get the 6th one in.

Yeah its the stage 4 kit. Last time it dyno'ed a few years ago it was about 370bhp, but I have ported the head and fitted cams and springs since, so prob a bit closer to 400 now.

Super cheers for the info man, I'm no where near that but have all the parts ready for stage 3 so as soon as I can afford to get it mapped then it'll all be going on! You'll have to update to let me know how it gets on after the bedding in period

Car looks awesome btw, read the whole thread many times!

Rides
    Well the clutch is working well now, slipped a few times for the first few hundred miles, but now its bedded in, its holding on well

I had a little ignition problem that left me stranded the other week, thankfully DAL traced it to a melted plug under the steering column cowling, fitted a new plug and it was good to go.

On Saturday I finally swapped over my larger low pressure power steering for a fluro lined job from SFS. When I did the bay I just used a hose I had to hand that fitted, but over time it become obvious that the hose was not intended for oil use as it slowly weeped fluid out and always felt damp to touch on the outside. Its left a bit of a mess to clean up too.

Then on the drive home I lost all boost and got a nice rattle. Thought my actuator rod had popped off, as it had in the past, but when I went to stick it back on I found this

Something else to sort out
    Last edited by Pablo13; 25-02-2013 at 10:57.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Well I got my actuator fixed

Refitted it but the boost was still low making me think that maybe the diaphragm had been damaged by the welding so I decided to plump for one of these

Little bit more of a serviceable item and came with a selection of springs to choose from too

Can you guess which one I used

Stuck it on and went to see if anything had changed

Nope but by now it was starting to get a bit tractor like and a bit more poking and it became obvious that the mani- tubby gasket is due yet another change, which is most likely the reason for the low boost. Still the old actuator was past its best now, so good it got changed out anyway.

I placed the order for these, what seemed like and age ago now. Finally last Thursday they showed up.

Stuck one together and unloaded with the wheel sealant and left it to stew for a few hours. What good it does, the rears haven't even been on a year and are already past their best Re polish this summer methinks

After a wipe down

Matching wheels coming soon
    Last edited by Pablo13; 28-04-2013 at 22:00.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Literally cannot wait to see not long now to love it long time.

Going to be done for Duxford?

Rides
    Bling, my eyes, ahhhhhh.

Shaaaaaawinnnnnngggggggg.

Rides
    p.s. Pabs, is the wheel Sealnt from Poor boys good? May add some for the XXR's before they go on? Worthwhile you reckon, I was planning on just using polish and wax, but maybe a wheel sealant is better?

Rides
    Cheers guys. I doubt it will be done for Duxford to be honest. I could prob get the wheels on if I rushed, but the last wheel that needs to be split down from the old lips has some paint chips in the center that need to be re done. Add to that the tubby gasket and it doesn't look too promising atm

Wheel sealeant isn't bad but its not the last word in protection, makes it cleaning easier for a while though. Suppose its a little better than normal wax.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Stripped down the last wheel from 17" and had to touch up a few chips in the paint on the center

Meanwhile, I got a tyre on the other, maxed out the adjustment on my top plates and stuck it on

Still a little pit too much poke

So I will have a play with the two bolts on the bottom of the coily and see if I can eek out a little more camber that way, but I need to get my 25mm spacer swapped out for a 20mm too which should also help a bit more. If that don't work then s14 lower arms or something.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Loving that

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MEL View Post
    Loving that
    x2 looks the nuts

Rides
    look amazing ;really bad ass !!

Rides
    My GOD!! they look absolutely stunning!!!! in fact the whole car does! top work. I'm sooo jealous.

Rides
    Nice, really nice.

Rides
    looking baller dude!

Rides
    Ta guys. Both sides are now on and I've ordered some 20mm spacers so I can drive the thing
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Trying my best to impersonate a tractor I made it down to DAL's on Saturday to give the old girl some loving

The excess poke gave me some new patina on my wheel arch

So I thought I'd start off by popping my old 25mm spacers off and fitting my 20mm. That sentence makes it sound so easy, but I must have spent the best part of 6 hours getting it right and re engineering various components. Didn't want to cut down my studs, and the wheel faces dint have the cut outs you see on some wheels so I thought I would make some of my own.

Here you can see the studs had left an indent even with the 25mm spacers

So I used those handy marks to make a bit more room

Then went to fit them. As they had been sitting on the studs my calculations were slightly off and they didn't clear the calipers So....

Lots of test fitting ensued, clearance is miniscule, yet the wheel spins and maximum lip to caliper ratio is in effect

After all that its better but still not good enough

I think I have talked myself into getting either some DW adjustable lower arms or the Apex ones with the built in TC arms for the final cure. Anyone running them or heard horror stories etc?

So after all that I moved on to the tractor noise issue

Removed what was left of my exhaust wrap to get a good look over the mani and noticed a crack on each runner around the bracing

Dal welded it all back up for me. I stuck it back on and it sounded much better, but on the drive home it was still holding back, only boosting to a under a bar for some reason So further investigation needed. I think next port of call will be to check for a silly boost leak, possibly try it without the boost solenoid in the loop in case that has gone up the wall.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    those wheels are gorgeous! great job on the painting dude

good luck fixing her!

Rides
    Time to keep you abreast

Last Saturday I had an epic vehicular session at DAL's. Mainly to fix the rust as my chassis rail was slowly disintegrating and a get adjustable my lower arms on.

Also noticed a broken hanger on the exhaust to sort

But had a flexi to add anyway so some surgery was already going on

Stuck it here

And DAL began fixing the rail

I also talked him into completing the passenger rail and stiching them to the floor

After a quick tidy some por15 was added to the mix, followed by tigers seal and topped off with some stonechip so it all blended back in, still a bit wet in the picture

Meanwhile back at the front

Transferred some measurements from one arm to the other as best I could for now

Fitted

Went a bit crazy first off and went for a 70mm wider track, it didn't really work out as hoped and still poked out a bit too much

so backed it off a bit and had a bit more of a fiddle to get it nearly right

Still catching so a little bit more tweaking at it and then it should be ok. Also caught an oil leak before it got too serious, little split on the return so ended up swapping a new bit of hose on to finish up at 5:30am and the sun had already come back up

When we fired it back up it was rattling from the exhaust, so we deduced in our deprived sleep state that the flap from my long fallen apart apexi ecv is still in my exhaust somewhere. We took the exhaust off again and cut a little inspection flap in it but could not see anything so welded it back up and stuck it back on. Inevitably it rattled again but we really needed to go home at this point so we packed up and went. On the drive back I happily noted that my boost had returned So all I can imagine is that the flap was restricting the exhaust and stopping the flow. Once everything had got up to temp the rattle stopped and has not returned since so hopefully the flap has now become wedged in an open position and all will be well once more
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Managed to get the alignment done with the new front arms in time for the Weekender and she made it to Anglesey although the 5-6 hour drive took its toll and two of the turbo studs had snapped by the time I got there.

Luckily Kev who seemed to be fixing every bodys car's for them and Mapboy came though with some tools and a nut and bolt to replace the broken stud I could remove and it was sounding better for the drive home. By the time I got back though it was blowing again but this time was still held together so I think its in need of a gasket again

Some new discs that fill the calipers properly came from DB power last week so I stuck them on while I was waiting for the exhaust to cool down.

I had a bit of fiddling to get them right, they needed a 2mm spacer on the caliper bracket to center the disc in the caliper or it would not spin when tightened up. This also has the affect of spacing the caliper in thus pulling it away from the face of the wheel so not all bad. Sadly the rain came down and I was pulled onto other cars so by the time I had actually fitted the brakes I was 12 at night and I opted to wisely leave the gasket for another weekend

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Pablo13; 29-07-2013 at 18:27.
    bstmeetbllk

Rides
    Managed to do the tubby gaskets yesterday, this is what what was in there

To try and minimise bolts shearing in the future I got some titanium bolts for their higher melting point, so should endure glowing turbos for longer periods.

All back together now and sounding better for it, so lets see how long it lasts
    bstmeetbllk