Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick of rip off fuel?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gtst lad
    agreed for petrol engines and it's very high octane isn't it?

Yeah dont know the rating but Saab have jsut released a biofuel version of the 9-5 in the Americas and it's rated at 260bhp on unleaded and 310bhp on biofuel

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenki
    One of my neighbours has been running his Polo TDi on vegetable oil for about 6 months now. Seems to work fine but I hate to think what it's doing to the engine?
    It'll be fine, vegetable oil is about right. Plus it's a diesel engine, it'll run on just about anything you shove in it that explodes when it's heated

Heck, the first ever diesel engine exploded outright, Diesel was pretty chuffed with that, though everyone else was , just because it meant his idea worked

Rides
    didn't the first diesel engine run on peanut oil lol

Rides
    The local Police are cracking down on people doing this. They've even nicked a few people already

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker
    The local Police are cracking down on people doing this. They've even nicked a few people already
    So long as the excise people have had their pound of flesh there's nothing the police can do to stop you doing this

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MeLLoN Stu
    LPG's going to be taxed to bits over the next 2 years
    The possibility of something being expensive in the future does not seem like a good reason for not taking advantage of it being silly cheap right now.

If petrol ever ends up being cheaper you can always go back to it.

Rides
    You can say goodnight to cheap LPG fairly soon I'm afraid. The demand for it is so low that it's inevitable that it's going to come back into line with all other fuels as far as tax is concerned, no-one has the clout to demand otherwise anymore. That's what 'working' for the NGVA does for you I'm afraid...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_K31
    You can say goodnight to cheap LPG fairly soon I'm afraid. The demand for it is so low that it's inevitable that it's going to come back into line with all other fuels as far as tax is concerned, no-one has the clout to demand otherwise anymore. That's what 'working' for the NGVA does for you I'm afraid...
    There's always the feel good factor of helping the likkle plants and fluffy animals to fall back on

If lpg goes up over the next 3 years then fair enough, however the fact is I'm driving about right now for 39.95ppl. There's a long way to go before it catches up with petrol. 'Make hay while the sun shines' I say

Doh! I should be telling everyone to avoid lpg, as the more people that use it the more likely it is for the price to go up

Rides
    LPG budget info (2005)

Rides
    SM, that's crap. People should avoid lpg like the plague

Rides
    Wasn't there a bit where the Government has to give 3 years notice of any changes to LPG taxation too?

Anyway, 300 miles to £27 ish of LPG can't be sniffed at Erm, I meant.. LPG is rubbish

Rich

Rides
    This is why I just bought a £550 Pug 205 turbo diesel! It does 50-60 mpg. I'm gonna try to run ir on 50/50 diesel/veg oil. You can buy veg oil for 50p litre.

I started a thread on it on another forum I post on:

http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45986

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    SM, that's crap. People should avoid lpg like the plague
    So the Govt have never lied before? Or changed their mind?

If they were really interested in pushing LPG they'd subsidise it's installation ie knocking the VAT off of fitting IMO.

Somehow or other I can't see me ever being drawn to convert my £300 car to LPG, nor could I see me spending £1500 on a car then £1500 to convert it, so I'd have to have a car worth more like £5k which is going to last 5-6 years, and even then I doubt I'd make my money back off of it as I don't do enough miles to pay off the installation, let alone the fact I've paid £5k for the car in the first place. Not exactly cheap motoring in my mind - I'll just happily plod around in my shitbox ta v mu

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Boy
    You certainly wont find ANY LPG users driving Scoobies, MX5s, Skylines, Novas etc
    In point of fact, Jeff's Mrs' car is an LPG equipped MX-5 (well, Eunos Roadster)... imagine how cheap that is to run!

I couldn't drive anything slow on a daily basis, I went out to buy a runaround to save on fuel and ended up with a 1.9 205 GTi that barely returns better fuel economy than the S13

At least I don't have to put Super in it

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Lpg has some serious drawbacks

• It makes your car go rusty faster

• It makes the radio only tune in to BBC Radio 3 (unless you like Radio 3, then it will only play George Formby CD's, even if you have a cassette player)

• The accelerator and brake have to be swapped round for the conversion to work

• Because of the extra strain on the gearbox, you can only keep one gear when the conversion is done and it has to be reverse

• Lpg makes the steering wheel go square, unless it's fitted to an Allegro, then it makes the steering wheel change into the shape of a different animal every week

• If you have an lpg car, you can't use it for towing other cars, unless they are also powered by lpg

• Lpg makes the sunroof always stay open, unless it's sunny

• Worst of all, owning an lpg car makes you a compulsive liar.

Unless you can live with these quite serious problems, I'd seriously advise against getting lpg

Rides
    That's terrible Jeff

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff
    Lpg has some serious drawbacks

• It makes your car go rusty faster

• It makes the radio only tune in to BBC Radio 3 (unless you like Radio 3, then it will only play George Formby CD's, even if you have a cassette player)

• The accelerator and brake have to be swapped round for the conversion to work

• Because of the extra strain on the gearbox, you can only keep one gear when the conversion is done and it has to be reverse

• Lpg makes the steering wheel go square, unless it's fitted to an Allegro, then it makes the steering wheel change into the shape of a different animal every week

• If you have an lpg car, you can't use it for towing other cars, unless they are also powered by lpg

• Lpg makes the sunroof always stay open, unless it's sunny

• Worst of all, owning an lpg car makes you a compulsive liar.

Unless you can live with these quite serious problems, I'd seriously advise against getting lpg
    PMSL

Jut

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil A
    This is why I just bought a £550 Pug 205 turbo diesel! It does 50-60 mpg. I'm gonna try to run ir on 50/50 diesel/veg oil. You can buy veg oil for 50p litre.

I started a thread on it on another forum I post on:

http://the-corrado.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45986
    lol .... my Pug TD is up for sale at the moment in the cars for sale area ...... but for less than £550

Rides
    red derv.

lol

Rides
    I gotta say, that if I was able to I'd use Tesco's veg oil and stuff the tax man. He gets enough already, it isn't my fault the treasury can't spend it properly.