Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pushing 200SX + CA18DET to the limit

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ByReaL View Post
    after about 2 years of inactivity i removed the front bell housing of my CA18DET gearbox and installed it on a SR20DET gearbox,

the SR gearbox seams to be the exact same size as the CA after the frontal bell housing swap,

although the speed sensor from CA and SR boxes are not exactly the same i could fit the CA speed sensor on the SR box

also the mounting points seams to be the same i could use the CA traverse with no problems

also the CA gear changing stick fitted just fine in the SR box.

to be honest i don't thing is much of an upgrade , but we will see
    they are the same boxes. The differences are the bellhousing, and the middle plate has less holes (better as it allows to still lubricate 5th gear when on full load) .

besides, the ca18det can output more than 700hp so you are far from the limit

there is no miracle recipe for the gearbox problem, either get a 300zx gearbox with adapter plate, or rebuild yours with os giken or ppg parts. or keep swapping gearboxes.

Banned
    Rides
    Are there any autoboxes which can take high power and be fitted to a CA or an S13 ? Has anyone done it ?

Rides
    I would like to know it too

Byreal, actually SR20 boxes are weaker than CA18 Not gears, but gear changing mechanics, lot of people have problems (stuck in gear and others)

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nissangeek View Post
    Are there any autoboxes which can take high power and be fitted to a CA or an S13 ? Has anyone done it ?
    Yeah,
    There are some datsun 1200 utes in australia with CA18 conversions that use a Ford C4 auto built up..

It was fords most successful gearbox, so I would think you could get them in europe.. edit** Check Ford Cortina late 70's early 80's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C4_transmission

I am about to build one....
    Last edited by meminto; 03-11-2009 at 10:29.

Rides
    I think Ken had his old auto box upgraded, but it was costly and only improved the power to about 300bhp.

Then he went manual

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by meminto View Post
    Yeah,
    There are some datsun 1200 utes in australia with CA18 conversions that use a Ford C4 auto built up..

It was fords most successful gearbox, so I would think you could get them in europe.. edit** Check Ford Cortina late 70's early 80's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C4_transmission

I am about to build one....
    They are compatible with S13s ? How much power can they take ?

Rides
    Not 100% compatible there is a decent amount of work you need to do..

But from reading through a number of Z32 5 speed conversions, this seems a little easier..

I local engineering firm in the city I live in make the converter plates to convert from the ford auto box pattern to the ca18 auto bellhousing..

Some V8 drag racers will build them to take 1200-1500hp and the torque it comes with and with a ceetain degree of reliability... Some are more conservative than others but its a pretty reliable box, with parts relatively easy to obtain..

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by meminto View Post
    Not 100% compatible there is a decent amount of work you need to do..

But from reading through a number of Z32 5 speed conversions, this seems a little easier..

I local engineering firm in the city I live in make the converter plates to convert from the ford auto box pattern to the ca18 auto bellhousing..

Some V8 drag racers will build them to take 1200-1500hp and the torque it comes with and with a ceetain degree of reliability... Some are more conservative than others but its a pretty reliable box, with parts relatively easy to obtain..
    I want one !! thanks for the info G'day !

Banned
    Rides

Rides
    you can get them for 1/10 of this in US
    Would put this or Camaro tranny in my own car but afraid af all the work needed... They would handle 400hp in stock on our lightweight cars...

Banned
    Rides
    Do you reckon they weigh much more than an S13 autobox ?

Rides
    quick search - 4L60E (GM 4-speed electronic gearbox for Camaro/Firebird/Corvette) is 80kg with oil

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetal View Post
    quick search - 4L60E (GM 4-speed electronic gearbox for Camaro/Firebird/Corvette) is 80kg with oil
    And weight of an S13 autobox ? I'd guess not much less than 80 ?
    Last edited by nissangeek; 03-11-2009 at 15:27.

Rides
    with all this gearbox talk what would be a safe level of power to run on an sr gearbox? im planning on running a stage 3a setup on my s14a? will this be ok or will my box explode

Rides
    And weight of an S13 autobox ? I'd guess not much less than 80 ?
    S13 autobox is just over 80kg (and twice the weight of the manual box)

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by crouch-21 View Post
    with all this gearbox talk what would be a safe level of power to run on an sr gearbox? im planning on running a stage 3a setup on my s14a? will this be ok or will my box explode
    It will probably explode, but might last 2 years before it does. I only really have experience with drifters, but we go through boxes pretty quick - Steve Carter recently broke his S13 box with 370hp, mine went with just over 300, and Polo/Team Green do about 1 every 20 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Banned
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
    S13 autobox is just over 80kg (and twice the weight of the manual box)
    I know it's heavier. It also saps more power doesn't it ?

Rides
    I want one !! thanks for the info G'day !
    No problems mate, happy to help out

As far as the weight goes, the CA auto and the C4 auto are similar in weight I have lifted both and they feel very similar.. If anything, the CA auto felt slightly heavier than the C4..

This conversion needs:

CA Auto Bellhousing + flexplate (auto flywheel)
    C4 gearbox bolt pattern -> CA auto bell housing converter plate
    Custom torque converter
    Custom tailshaft - C4 Yoke
    Modified gearbox crossmember

No trans tunnel modification is required... There is a converter for the speedo signal, but not sure which one to use yet..

I am building up a box with manual reverse shift pattern, transbrake, stall converter (3500-4200rpm - unsure yet) and all the internal gear to withstand 1000hp... This is more for hard nos launches and reliability than the power figure...

Most of the gear is sourced through the US at the moment, the dollar is really good... I am going to be making a doco on how to build the box and how to convert the CA/S13...

Banned
    Rides
    Cool stuff meminto.

the C4 is 3-gear as opposed to the CA 4-gear. Any idea how this affects the drive ?