Thread: Smoking when slowing

Rides

Smoking when slowing

I have a problem with my s13 that i hope someone could help me out with.
    The other week i noticed smoke coming from the exhaust whilst i was driving,
    but when i pulled over to have a look there was nothing, even when revving the engine there was no smoke.
    I have later found that it only smokes, but not all the time, when deaccelerating.
    If when slowing or not accelerating i put the clutch down, it wont smoke at all.
    Can anyone help me out please, as everyone ive asked so far has said completely different things, and on my wages i would like to find the problem out first time rather than the usual " if that doesnt work, then we'll try something else" i get from most garages !
    Just a point in the right direction would be much appreciated.

cheers

Rides
    What colour is the smoke? if it's blueish that's oil and if you have an aftermarket exhaust it's most likely your turbo oil seals on thier last legs

Try this, might help for now but it might not in this case:

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showpost.php...02&postcount=3

If you change your turbo I belive a 360 degree bearing will stop the back presure problem caused by big after market exhausts which weakens the seals!
    Will also make it more reliable, so more boost

I think speedfreak on here used http://www.turbocentreuk.co.uk/ for a 360 degree bearing on his rebuilt turbo, they did a very good job

Rides
    i think it may be blueish, not really sure. i had all the turbo seals done about 6 months ago. when i got the car it already had a janspeed exhaust on it, and about a year ago i changed the back box.
    ive noticed that when it does smoke, it has a rich sickly smell to it.
    thanks for the advice.