Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Updating" S14a HeadUnit

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlands_si
    bugger me, is no-one on here bothered about their sound quality?

Smoothound - there is a BIG difference between music production equipment and ICE
    Now there's a confusing statement...

Yes there is, studio gear is infinately superior for sound quality. It has to be ! It's the reference system !

As such, if you've got an ear for that level of quality (as I have) then you really notice naff sounding equipment. Especially at the cheaper end : Goodmans, Fusion, and some Panasonic are some of the worst headunits I've heared. Yet you see these in alot of buget systems

With Clarion, Alpine, Sony and Pioneer being some of the best ones. If you're on a budget, then these are the brands I'd be looking for.

Don't forget speakers either. Some of the better brands for audio quality being Alpine, Infinity and JBL. Some of the Sony "Custom" speakers that appeared about 3-4 years ago are also probably some of the best out there with great tone and pleasant speaker compression when driven (although I have to agree that anything XPLOD is likely to sound a bit ****y and lean heavily toward big boomy chav-noise rather than quality).

So, yes, I think some of us are bothered about quality, and have done our homework too

But going back to the original post, that Sony unit will probably sound just fine with the right speakers. Just don't go too crazy with the EQ settings as if it's anything like mine it will start to compress at the extreme settings.

Rides
    Not a confusing statement - It's sound in two totally different environments - and two totally different set-ups. The point i'm trying to make is that you can't judge an entire manufacturer's range by one product in a totally different range. The technologies and considerations made are totally different. Plus, a car is far from an ideal acoustic environment. The whole point of most studios as far as i'm aware is to create the ideal listening/recording environment, isn't it?

You have to take far more into consideration when creating an install in a car - with a studio system most of the work regarding enclosures, materials, baffles, etc is done. In a car it is not. it is frequently said that 80% of the sound quality from a car audio system is derived fromt he quality of the install - a concept i wholeheartedly support.

And saying 'some of us have done our homework' - what is that supposed to mean - i'm trying to offer my experience of CAR audio. I know fcuk all about recording studio set-ups, and i wouldn't pretend to do so. To be honest i can also think of a lot of far better units than you have mentioned - i don't rate Alpine speakers at all (other than the f#1 status three ways) and i have yet you hear a set of infinities that don't leave me feeling my my ears have just been attacked with treble.

The whole point i was trying to make was to choose your source carefully, too many people seem to base a choice around aesthetics and needless functions.