Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Updating" S14a HeadUnit

Rides

"Updating" S14a HeadUnit

Right, here's the deal. I've got the standard Sony setup in my S14a but the headunit facia release mechanism is on the verge of breaking.

I want to add a headunit that will be more up to date but work with the exisiting changer and stalk controllers. This Sony CDX-GT300 came into work today and it's completely all I'm after. CD Changer, Stalk Control Ready and Sony.

I usually spend a lot on H/U's but quite frankly I'm done with that. This is only £115, and it's got a good specification. As I'm not upgrading my speakers it'll do nicely.

My question is
    Do you think it "blends" with the dash well? Or do you think it looks odd? I What I want is something to look look like an "updated" factory option kind of thing.

What do you think?

Rides
    Er, sorry to say but i think it looks cheap but then i have never been a fan of sony gear.

very difficult to tell if it will fit in with the dash but then again it is a mass of plastic and the sony HU looks like a mass of plastic as well so maybe it will.

Rides
    Sony stuff has always been a bit.........cheap and nasty looking imho but if you want to keep the factory steering column controls then you have to go for it i guess

Rides
    doesn't look too bad. Colour looks like it'd match the dails at least.

Factory one didn't match the car at all I thought. Mine didn't exactly work properly either so I ripped it out and got an MP3 jobby.

Rides
    get a nakamichi,simple to use,great sq and looks good,unlike most of the chav trash with stupid flashing lights.

Rides
    Nakamichis are undoubtedly the best hu's on the market but not everyone wants to spend £350 on a headunit.

This Pioneer is a popular choice with people more interested in sound quality than flashing lights. It's very reasonably priced too:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/prod...f2c5dd7b270c9b

Rides
    No you see you're all missing my point. I want to keep it as close to factory specification as possible. I've had many flashy audio units before:

Alpine IVA-D310R - £800

Sony CDX-M100TF - £300

Point is I've been there before, and I'm not into performance audio anymore.

I think the Sony will suit the look of the car and be true to being as close to factory specification as possible. There's no point in spending money on a unit that has fantastic sound quality like a Nakamichi (or that Pioneer 77 with the "Burr Brown" sound board) because I'm not altering the car's output (speakers). And it needs to be Sony so the original equipment works still.

But thanks anyway all.

Rides
    That sony looks nice and should suit the car well.

Sony headunits are fairly good, i have a top of the range sony minidisc (dont use mini discs) headunit and it is very high quality (unit is part of the same range as the original cassette units )

C.

Rides
    I like Sony.

Think that is a really good HU, IMO. Good price as well

Rides
    I would aim for around that price for a HU, sony are good quality, Im currently using a bottom of the range Sony Mp3/CD 4*50W excellent sound quality, good functionality. It sounds a lot better then my friends alpine but the standard SX speakers must be the main reason.

115 quid is about as good a head unit you can get for sound quality, if you want anything more then that its only possible using an amp. If you pay more then that all your paying for is more chanel equalisers or more gadgets you dont need.

Rides
    Now that's three opinions that are keeping me happy as well.

Like I said, there's no point spending a lot of money again on an H/U as I'm trying to keep the car relatively close to factory specification.

Thanks chaps.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by piman2k
    Now that's three opinions that are keeping me happy as well.

Like I said, there's no point spending a lot of money again on an H/U as I'm trying to keep the car relatively close to factory specification.

Thanks chaps.
    Yeah, Nice to have, but recently the sound of boost is far more pleasing.

As long as it does the job, its good for me.

Rides
    That's all that I need, and to keep it looking as close to factory as possible whilst still looking updated.

Rides
    The problem with the new Sonys is that they do stick out a bit because you can't fit the supplied Bezel.

But, like you, I went for a Sony so that it's as close to factory as possible. Also, it works with the factory fitted radio joystick thingy !

FYI, I got the MEX-R1 for just £175. Bit more than I was planning on spending, but it supports DVD! So I can get 1000 songs on one disc. So no need for a changer (which is fortunate as the changer has bust!)

With bezel (how they all look in the pictures)
    http://kunkoku.livedoor.biz/imgs/1/6/16d4d74e.jpg

I think mine looks way cool

Without bezel (how it will look when you fit it)
    http://www.rbbtoday.com/review/20050...gs/mexr2_s.jpg

If you're happy with that, then go for it.

I think mine looks fantastic
    Last edited by Smoothound; 20-02-2006 at 16:04.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_t
    can get for sound quality, if you want anything more then that its only possible using an amp. If you pay more then that all your paying for is more chanel equalisers or more gadgets you dont need.
    Sorry but that's just wrong. Yes, an amp may can improve sound quality, but ultimately a system is only as good as it's weakest link. many people seem to think that sources do not matter above a certain level, but they are just as important, if not more so, than any other component. If you don't believe me try different headunits in exactly the same set-up.
    My HU has no additional features/flashy bells/w@nky dolphins/etc that you wouldn'g et on cheaper units, neither do the likes of Becker, Nak, etc. The money in these units goes on the DACs and the transports, the source of the sound.
    Trash in=trash out.

Personally I don't rate the Sony kit i've heard for this very reason - all your money seems to go on displays and gimmicks. My advice if you have to go Sony is to a)not get something from the Xplod range, and b) get something with as few stupid unneccessary features as possible, and gamble that your money may have actually (shock horror) gone into sound quality rather than fcuking dolphins.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Midlands_si
    Personally I don't rate the Sony kit i've heard for this very reason - all your money seems to go on displays and gimmicks. My advice if you have to go Sony is to a)not get something from the Xplod range, and b) get something with as few stupid unneccessary features as possible, and gamble that your money may have actually (shock horror) gone into sound quality rather than fcuking dolphins.
    As a semi-pro music producer

I rate Sony stuff among the best. So go figure

The surprise with the one I bought it that the equaliser seems work more like a multiband compressor. Something I would never expect to see on a headunit at this price point.

The proof is in the listening though, so if in doubt be sure to listen to the kit before you buy.

Rides
    My HU has no additional features/flashy bells/w@nky dolphins/etc that you wouldn'g et on cheaper units, neither do the likes of Becker, Nak, etc. The money in these units goes on the DACs and the transports, the source of the sound.
    Trash in=trash out.
    Im playing from MP3s so im not exactly sure how an ultra smooth Digital to analogue converter will help me. As for sound quality my hearing is so good that im afraid I cant tell the difference between my 100 quid unit and pretty much any stereo kit. Im suprising impressed by the 3 channel equaliser on it too which does its job without distorting the sound.

As for expense in components its all just sand at the end of the day the only price difference is in peoples heads.

Rides
    Sorry but that's just wrong. Yes, an amp may can improve sound quality, but ultimately a system is only as good as it's weakest link. many people seem to think that sources do not matter above a certain level, but they are just as important, if not more so, than any other component. If you don't believe me try different headunits in exactly the same set-up.
    So true, but lets face it the weakest link is the road noise there really is no point in buying an expensive headunit for your car unless you're going to do something about the acoustics in the cabin IMO

Rides
    bugger me, is no-one on here bothered about their sound quality?

Smoothound - there is a BIG difference between music production equipment and ICE

Ian - have you tried a £100 head unit in your car and then compared it with something like a P9 unit in exactly the same set-up? until you have i don't think you can make sweeping statements like that. The fact you are listening to them all from mp3's as well totally negates most of my arguments - but if that is the case then the decompresion methods and the internal pre-amps used also have a massive bearing on the sound.
    As for it all being just sand - don't be so ridiculous - cars are all just metal and plastic at the end of the day - does that make an f1 car equal to a fiesta? of course it doesn't - it's all in the engineering.

dhracer - exactly - if this is one of the weak points, improve it - hence the use of sound deadening in ICE set-ups

At the end of the day it's down to what YOU like. I personally wouldn't buy anything without listening, and i certainly wouldn't be obnoxious enough to state that all ICE stuff sounds the same as it is created from the same base elements.

Rides
    [QUOTE=Midlands_si]
    As for it all being just sand - don't be so ridiculous - cars are all just metal and plastic at the end of the day - does that make an f1 car equal to a fiesta? of course it doesn't - it's all in the engineering.
    QUOTE]

More morney was spent engineering the fiesta then an F1 car, if you mass produced a F430 I see no erason why it couldnt be done at 8K per unit.

Not forgeting exhaust and engine noise Rob, an SX is hardly a sound proofed/sponge walled bunker
    Last edited by ian_t; 21-02-2006 at 12:20.