Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginners Guide to Trackdays

Rides
    suberb thread, been thinking about doing my first track day and been looking for info, Top Job, answered all my questions!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    Helmets/clothing

Helmets are generally available for hire from tracks/trackday companies on the day. Or you can buy your own. You can get a perfectly adequate bike helmet from your local bike shop for about £100. if you value your head more you can pay a lot more for a proper motorsport helmet. Most trackday organisers insist that arms and legs are covered, so make sure you wear a long-sleeved top. Footwear wise you can wear what you like, but a nice flat-soled shoe is probably the most sensible option
    Just found a good article on Pistonheads about helmets:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=13304

Rides
    A couple of thoughts, if someone overtake you don't try TOO hard to keep up, they have overtaken you because they are faster than you. Don't wear trainers or shoes with a thick sole(you won't be able to feel the pedals) You can get a cheap set of Kart boots for £30 ish, and you'll be amazed by the difference it makes, likewise particularly on hot days a cheap set of race gloves or mountain bike mitts will give you better purchase on the steering wheel. Have a go and enjoy.

Rides

Novice Trackdays

For anyone new to the trackday world we run Novice Only trackdays where you can come along for an morning, afternoon, full day or just an evening. The idea of these is that you can come and play with other newbie track drivers and therefore not be intimidated by the more experienced crowd.

All the details of which of our novice days are on our website which you can go to by clicking on the banner below.

If you would simply like to come along and see what goes on then you are more than welcome, just turn up and have a look round. Nearly all drivers on trackdays are petrol heads so they won't have a problem at all if you go up and ask a few questions. We also have instructors on all our days that will be more than happy to offer some advice on what to do if you are coming to an event.

Similarly, if you would like to give me a call I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

I look forward to meeting quite a few of you on the SXOC Track evening on the 18th April. For anyone that is not going hopefully we'll meet at one of our trackdays soon.

Kind regards,

Alex Baker
    Club Brands Hatch
    01474 875216
    alex.baker@motorsportvision.co.uk
    Last edited by Club MSV Trackd; 17-03-2006 at 08:34.

Rides
    Just a thought. I'm new to track days myself but what I have learnt is that weight makes just as much differance as power. If your car is built for track use as is mine then loose what you don't need as it only slows you down. Plus a roll cage offers more than just protection, it will stiffen the car and although add weight it will make you faster.

To drive fast you have to be smooth and balanced. If not you will end up off the track. Think of it as hitting a glass bottle with a hammer. If you just push the bottle it wont do anything but if you swing at it, it will break.

Rides
    Great thread !

Looks like a need a lot of work doing to my car before going to a circuit!!

BTW, What uprated fluid should be used on a s13 ?? (Uprated fluid that is..).

Cheers,

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBastaard
    Great thread !

BTW, What uprated fluid should be used on a s13 ?? (Uprated fluid that is..).

Cheers,
    I use Halfords DOT 5.1 and never had any trouble with boiling on any car so far, even in the Coupe at a fast track like Bedford.

To add to the guide, i'm pretty conservative and limit my tracktime to 3 laps + a cool down lap. Anything more than that and you can really feel the road tyres starting to fade/wear more, and that's even in my relatively light Clio or previous MX5. Most of the time you see shredded/bald tyres are when someone stays out on track for many laps *coughs, Kev

During the day make sure you eat and drink! I find it is easy to forget!

It sounds a bit girlie , but come prepared with a combination of warm clothes (arctic survival gear at some tracks!), cloths to wipe your hands on - I find wet wipes handy, lip balm, suntan lotion and assorted bits like this.

The advice given about not trying to chase after another car is sensible, but at the same time i find it is more fun to follow/chase another car and great for finding better lines than the car in front.

Courtesy - don't tail gate a slower car, or trying to pick strange driving lines to show how much quicker you are; I never do this, but other cars do, making things pretty hairy when you can't see them in a blind spot.

Instructor - Hugely valuable and the best single mod you can have. I try not to book these until the afternoon (if you get a choice), as the first few hours on track will just be learning which way it goes!

Be aware that you WILL feel knackered on the drive home, stop frequently, more than you would usually.

Without being cheeky, ask for a pax lap or two from other people there, great fun and really good to see how others drive and what other cars feel like. I will never forget the laps I had at Silverstone with Jez for example - that car is sooooo fast!

Lastly, get yourself a camera mount from somewhere like www.fastfilms.co.uk to record the action and memories.

Cheers, Dave
    Last edited by Fishy Dave; 25-03-2006 at 16:50.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by DeBastaard
    Why?
    All I did to my 17 year old S13 was
    1) Sort brakes/fluid/5stud conversion and S14 wheels.
    2) Add FMIC
    3) Go on a trackday

Rides
    thanx for putting this up! will help me with my first drift day on monday!

Rides
    Doing my first trackday in the 200SX tomorrow, at Oulton Park, really looking forward to it.

I've done several trackdays in the past, but they've all been in fwd cars, so this will be something new to me, but I've had the car about 5 months now so I'm kind of used to it now, although I will still be very cautious at first.

Will report back tomorrow...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_D
    Doing my first trackday in the 200SX tomorrow, at Oulton Park, really looking forward to it.

I've done several trackdays in the past, but they've all been in fwd cars, so this will be something new to me, but I've had the car about 5 months now so I'm kind of used to it now, although I will still be very cautious at first.

Will report back tomorrow...
    You will love it, I've done Oulton 3 times this year and love it more every time if its with MSV they always do a day there
    Currently scrabble powered - Leon Cupra 280

Rides
    Cracking circuit

Keep the boost down, especially with the power you have in these cold air temps, that also reduce grip. Shouldnt be too hard for the car though, enjoy!.

Rides
    Oulton was my second track day and it was utterly fantastic . Daunting at first, but you get used to it very VERY quickly. Have fun

Don't forget to check your brake pads (especially your rears) afterwards

PS. Don't crash

Rides
    Don't forget Track Day Insurance if you are planning a day of it.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=167141

Rides
    I'm still a little confused with the whole Helmet issue. I used to have a Motorcross style helmet which i found really comfy, are these style acceptable at track days or does it have to be the more traditional style?

Rides
    Should be fine, I'd double check with the company you book with. Not seen a motorcross one used but plenty of motorbike ones and open faced ones are used.

Rides
    I watched with interest while Tiff Needel (or whatever his name is) did an article on track days on fifth gear last night

1. start slow hes said, build speed slowly
    2. put some extra air in your tyres (no mention of checking fluids etc )
    3. wear a helmet and think about some insurance

Then he encouraged you to start "throwing it in to corners to see what happens" - there follows a long segment of him hooning around hanging the arse out, understeering, oversteering, pulling the handbrake etc

Please note if you did this at most places you'd be black flagged in and told to behave or go home

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mono Phil
    I watched with interest while Tiff Needel (or whatever his name is) did an article on track days on fifth gear last night

1. start slow hes said, build speed slowly
    2. put some extra air in your tyres (no mention of checking fluids etc )
    3. wear a helmet and think about some insurance

Then he encouraged you to start "throwing it in to corners to see what happens" - there follows a long segment of him hooning around hanging the arse out, understeering, oversteering, pulling the handbrake etc

Please note if you did this at most places you'd be black flagged in and told to behave or go home
    I was unlucky enough to catch that particular televisual shite aswell. Didnt mention anything about fluids, temperatures, tuition, or the general content of the safety briefings like "no fcuking around like that Tit Needell of the tv".

Idiot

Rides
    I couldn't believe that either Bet the organisers were loving that Use this guide instead

Rides
    Super thread, god bless the search feature. In relation to keeping the boost down, standard boost will be okay correct?
    '99 S14A Garage Find (off the road since 2007) - WIP