Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300BHP setup?

Rides
    The problem with the ET is the high revs put a lot of stress on the rocker shafts. These have been known to rip out the head at 6500rpm.

I don't see the point in stretching the tits out of the injectors. I've increased my base pressure a little, and it can't be mapped out. Its best to stick to the stock pressure and use larger injectors.

Lets say I wanted to run an engine at 2 bar boost at 5 bar fuel pressure. When on full boost the pump will need to supply 7 bar pressure to supply the fuel. Thats an awful lot of pressure in some old fuel lines.

I'm gonna be using 550cc injectors. I may run lower fuel pressure than normal if idling is poor so that I don't have to run such a short duration for low loads.

Cassius - you mention you have DET pistons, are you sure? The ET pistons have 4 reliefs and are different to the DET ones.

Rides
    Well I haven't checked it yet, BUT everyone who I have talked to that has checked on there own cars here in sweden has had the DET spec rods and pistons! And they only came one year to sweden! If not, DET pistons ain't that hard to find for reasonable money

And Yes, I will try to find some better injectors! As I said, I've got spons from a scrapyard so I'll get them for free All I have to do is find something thats the right size But I get your point, it is abit foolish to stress the entire system that much!

And for the rocker arms.. hmm.. well I'll just have to reinforce them then hehe

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI
    The problem with the ET is the high revs put a lot of stress on the rocker shafts. These have been known to rip out the head at 6500rpm.

I don't see the point in stretching the tits out of the injectors. I've increased my base pressure a little, and it can't be mapped out. Its best to stick to the stock pressure and use larger injectors.

Lets say I wanted to run an engine at 2 bar boost at 5 bar fuel pressure. When on full boost the pump will need to supply 7 bar pressure to supply the fuel. Thats an awful lot of pressure in some old fuel lines.

I'm gonna be using 550cc injectors. I may run lower fuel pressure than normal if idling is poor so that I don't have to run such a short duration for low loads.

Cassius - you mention you have DET pistons, are you sure? The ET pistons have 4 reliefs and are different to the DET ones.
    Yep this happened to mymk1 if you remember martin. a rocker shaft retainer bolt...actually 3 of them pulled out the thread and then the shaft snapped in half due to the uneven fixing pressures lol.helecoling sorted them out a treat though.

About the injectors. i was not saying that 444cc injectors wouldnt be better in fact i said they would be,i was merely stateing a point that they will work for the power he needs but they will be hard pushed so the baseline pressure shud be increased and relaying the info from Norris Designs

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    CASSIUS, you need to have everything ported, especially the inlets, as they are a terrible design, they have right angles between the inlet and valve, this needs to be sloped towards the valves, the shape of the wall is important as well, they need porting to a shape that when the air hits the wall, it sends the mixture underneath the spark plug and not down the side of the pistons, so it ignites in the right place, a lot of these i think jun pistons have no dish, these when fitted in the skyline try to ignite on the edge which fecks the pistons up, you need a dish to get your mixture in the right place.

Rides
    shall we take bets how long the rocker gear lasts at 8k+?
    Theorys cool, but too many people have actually mashed valve gear for it to be coincidence.

Rides
    i'am thinking of sticking around 7k, it seems to produce enough power anyway, i don't see the point in feckin up a good engine,i will be selling the set up in about a year, the honing marks where still on the bores when i put the head back on, it uses no oil and must be over 300bhp, so it would make someone a good engine.

Rides
    Why would you want to rev to 8K on an 8valve anyway? on a 16valve maybe because it makes it's power further up the rev range.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee@
    Why would you want to rev to 8K on an 8valve anyway? on a 16valve maybe because it makes it's power further up the rev range.
    must be a swedish thang hows the back box exhaust i mean

Rides
    i think you would get more money breaking it shaun if you do bagsy first dibs on the top mount and tubby

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S13 EATER
    Nah it's mostly a Cassius thing He seems to like the revving..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by gripo
    i think you would get more money breaking it shaun if you do bagsy first dibs on the top mount and tubby
    yeah well i was'nt thinking of selling the car paul, just engine, plenum, exhaust manifold,turbo, fuel rail and injectors.

Rides
    I just love pushing high revs! I have a -76 Opel Kadett with an old 1100cc engine, the engine is from a -65 or -66 Kadett. That engine has a power peak at about 5400rpm's, but I gladly rev it up to about 6-6500 anyway So it's just me actually!

But the rocker arms can be fixed! better bolts and some fine tuning should do it! And who said I would rev to the redline EVERYTIME I drive the car? I'll rev it to a couple of hundred revs above the power peak as I'm used to

Back to the head! (since this is what I am most concerned about! ) Fully ported all the way you say? So the myth about porting the inlet side making the engine slower is just BS? I thought it sounded strange when I heard it but.. who knows..

And another question! What does the piper cam cost? And does anyone have the full spec's of that cam? (lift, durations, opens/closes before/after BDC and TDC?)

Rides
    Piper cam is about £100. Its 268 duration 24-64-64-24, lift is 12.14 at cam, 11.94mm at valve

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S13 EATER
    Still in me shed

Rides
    Piper cam is about £100. Its 268 duration 24-64-64-24, lift is 12.14 at cam, 11.94mm at valve
    That wasn't at all expensive! I was prepared for a price around £200 or something! And ~12mm lift mmmmm I'll look into that a bit, looks like a suitable upgrade to say the least!

Rides
    I think you can get away with 370's with adjusted base fuel pressure without causing the injectors to die.

If you can chip the ecu such that it still has good AFR on cruise and idle etc...

I ran at approximatley 95% duty cycle maximum, for over 3 years till i did the injectors. They will not operate properly beyond this, but ive never had them sticking.

Rides
    Pingu: I'll be running a completely different engine management But the 370's should do 300hp, but it will be on the edge! I know this but until I have found better ones, this is what I will use!

Rides
    444cc's might as well be used, these are easily available...

Rides
    now im guessing the bolts holding the rocker shafts in strip out or break right.. so maybe we just need to tap them in a bit deeper and use some nicer studs...

the difference is very mild. the reliefs are actually smaller in the det psiton then the det....volume wise its maybe about .2cc's... heres some pics.. i cant find my pics of the pistons tops, but i'll take a few later today and post them up
    right is ca18et, middle is ca18det...left is none nissan

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    Pingu: I'll be running a completely different engine management But the 370's should do 300hp, but it will be on the edge! I know this but until I have found better ones, this is what I will use!
    if you have a standalone fuel managment just put in 600 or 720cc injectors and call it good...