Thread: deseeming rods

Rides

deseeming rods

ok as above really, is it safe to se-seem and shot peen or polish my s13 rods,

its something that is commonly done on NA engines to allow them to take slightly higher RPMs for longer,

i was just wondering if its ok to do it to (CA18DET) nissan rods.

im just looking at the most cost effective way to toughen up my next engine rebuild for fast road track use,

im also looking at very slightly dishing the standard pistons to lower the compression, have they got enough material on them to do this without them melting as soon as the boost comes on,

Rides
    Somewhere on here I think Rudi did this, there are some pics of the excellent work he did.

Rides
    ya this allow you to push about 10% more power thru them.. typically....

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by m.d.
    ok as above really, is it safe to se-seem and shot peen or polish my s13 rods,

its something that is commonly done on NA engines to allow them to take slightly higher RPMs for longer,

i was just wondering if its ok to do it to (CA18DET) nissan rods.,
    As other replies but don't forget to get them rebalanced afterwards

im just looking at the most cost effective way to toughen up my next engine rebuild for fast road track use,
    The cost of aftermarket rods for the CA means that these are often the most 'cost effective' route. It really depends on who is paying for the time required to do the machining.

im also looking at very slightly dishing the standard pistons to lower the compression, have they got enough material on them to do this without them melting as soon as the boost comes on,
    CNHSS1 has done this with forged pistons (Wiseco) but on standard pistons this doesn't really fit with the statement of 'toughen up' above. I'd be interested to see the results of a search on what causes standard pistons to melt.

Rides
    standard pistons have 8mm thick crowns at thinnest point, I wouldn't dish them to lower comp, I'd modify the head.

if you're cleaning up the rods you should really have them re-shotpeened afterwards. the cost and time spent on all this work often outweighs a set of forged rods