Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AP Racing Brake Kits

Rides
    We'll have some 8 pot kits available sometime soon, to fit under 17" wheels. Expected price will be under £1000.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hriggs
    I cant find another kit for the 200, although I cant find one on the AP website either
    Look at Skyline kits, same fitments exactly.

Rides
    I was gonna say I remember Dan saying he was looking at some. TBH I reckon unless your doing a LOT of track days, you wont need to be running more than 310 mm with uprated pads.

I got brens big kit package before Dan mentioned his big kit, but I have to say - with the hoses and all ferodo 2500s... Totally fierce decelleration. I reckon they might dump heat quicker if you had better air supply to them e.g. wide vented spoked wheels.

If you need more than this.... then you will know you need more. I would spend more on the chassis such as better suspension and good tyres and just go for a mid point upgrade on brakes like Bren's plus the Gmax suspension kit from Dan, and maybe some Cusco bars and so on - keep the wheels on the road first

Rides
    8 pot? 17s? That must be the little baby pistons, like Alcon do on some of their 6 pot setups?

I was running 14.1" disks front and rear with huge 4pots front and rear with a 70/30 bias, under 18s. I don't care if it makes the car heavier, the pedal feel and the stopping power was immense and that's coming from 4pot brembos, which I now consider to be utter pants.
    BIG BRAKES RULE! hard. Well worth the money. Probably the best mod I ever did.

btw, I thought unsprung weight was worth ~3x normal weight?
    Last edited by pyro; 29-09-2005 at 13:53.

Rides
    The 310mm kit is very good and will do for most people.

If i knew then what i do know i would have sourced a GTR setup for a little more.

You start needing to look at bigger brakes than this when you end up around the 400bhp plus mark and depends on you driving of course.

Rides
    hispec did this for my 309gti (long time ago) and made up a rear disc conversion for me.

They are based in Dartford so a bit of a drive for you. Next time you are at Brands or co-incide with a HWH meet?

Big Disc kit on this page http://www.hispecmotorsport.co.uk/conversions.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    I want some one to make a brake kit like brens, using standard 4-pot calipers, but with bigger disks that'll fit under 17" wheels. I'm currently running the 310mm kit, but want a larger disk (as thats the main thing that'll make you stop quicker) because I get fade on track.

Anyone wanna make up some brackets and bells for me??

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel san
    We'll have some 8 pot kits available sometime soon, to fit under 17" wheels. Expected price will be under £1000.
    Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    8 pot? 17s? That must be the little baby pistons, like Alcon do on some of their 6 pot setups?
    How to little pistons compare to big ones then - I assume they are less effective?

Are the AP 6 pot ones little or normal size

Rides
    IIrc smaller pistons can hit the pad sequentially which apparently good in large disc conversions - I think

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    Have you thought about either getting some bigger spacers made up to move the calipers out? Eg - if you could move the calipers out another 7mm - you could fit 324mm R33/34 gtr disks on there? The other alternative is to get some R33GTST/R32GTR calipers - they are already spaced out 8mm more than the S14 ones due to their size and shape?

I have wanted to experement with brens 310mm caliper spacers, my R32GTR calpers, and some skyline disks. Just need to get the bits.

Butuz
    It won't work, already asked Bren this

the spacer bracket takes the caliper back in to the wheel, but the skyline discs are the same offset as std ones, result - caliper will be in the wrong position

Rides
    We used a bracket on GrahamB's car to fit a BCNR33 disc with stock callipers. Ask him how it is.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by hriggs
    Are the AP 6 pot ones little or normal size
    Not all the pistons are the same size on the AP's

Rides
    Those AP prices are per piece plus you need pads, hoses, fluid, bells, brackets and the rest of the hardware.

We have another kit coming soon using 324mm discs and standard 4 pot calipers.

As Pyro says, a kilo of unsprung weight has a similar effect to saving 3 kilo off the chassis, not 15.

Our 310mm kit is over streached with slicks. 342 is a good compromise but the additional weight of a 355 set up compared to a 342 is negligable.

We test our brake products (kits, discs, pads, fluid etc) on road and track using a variety of tyres from road going rubber to track biased to rally tyres to full blown slicks so we speak from our own experience using our own cars for testing and we can tell you what size disc and what brake set up is suitable for a variety of uses.

Youd have to try hard to upset our 310mm kit on the road on normal road tyres. They nearly coped ok with our 400bhp drift car and slicks but they just couldnt quite handle it.

Rides
    Thats the way a 340 something kit that will fit under 17s is the way to go.

As much braking as most will ever need and fits under 17" rims

Rides
    Its Alcon that do two different sized 6 pot calipers. The bigger one is part of their 'racing' kit. I think that kit comes with the option of carbo-ceramic rotors, too.

Am actually looking at sticking the Z's brakes (same as GT-R34) on my S13 but really don't want to have to run 18s. Its a real downer that serious stopping power requires bigger wheels. G'na have to buy magnesium rims to compensate.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by pyro
    Am actually looking at sticking the Z's brakes (same as GT-R34) on my S13 but really don't want to have to run 18s. Its a real downer that serious stopping power requires bigger wheels. G'na have to buy magnesium rims to compensate.
    they will fit under 17s

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by bren
    We have another kit coming soon using 324mm discs and standard 4 pot calipers.
    Sounds good, how much?

Rides
    I can sort a 343mm kit to go under 17s if thats what you guys want. The rotors are the same price as the 355s so the kit will be the same price, £1495. Thats for AP 6 pot calipers, AP 343mm racing grooved rotors, alloy bells, alloy brackets, Ferdodo DS2500 pads, Goodridge hoses and decent fluid.

The only current equivilent full AP kit is £2300.

Rides
    Do you know how much cheaper it'd be without the AP calipers, but with brackets to take the std S14/Z32 caliper? So basically just disks, bells and brackets. If its significantly cheaper that'd be my setup of choice

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    Do you know how much cheaper it'd be without the AP calipers, but with brackets to take the std S14/Z32 caliper? So basically just disks, bells and brackets. If its significantly cheaper that'd be my setup of choice
    think you'd be lucky to get the std Caliper to sit right on a 343mm disc remember the pics of graham Bs std caliper on the 324mm disc??

How much for just the Discs and bells Bren, are they AP stuff?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mono Phil
    think you'd be lucky to get the std Caliper to sit right on a 343mm disc remember the pics of graham Bs std caliper on the 324mm disc??
    Good point - it'd probably be shite...