Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AP Racing Brake Kits

Rides

AP Racing Brake Kits

Wondering how much you can do a kit for -

355mm discs, 6 pot calipers for a 14a

Apex say 1500 for the full kit, and I have spoken to Demon Tweeks who say they can do discs for £210 and calipers for £280 (but I'd have to get the rest myself.

Surely the extra bits to make it fit, inc. hoses and fluid etc arnt £1000?

I'm probably wrong though

any idea?

Rides
    You'll need caliper relocation brackets, and the bells to go with the disks.

Rides
    I'm sure those prices will probably be each too surely?

Anyway, any reason why you want that big a disc? Other than it'll look good behind your wheels If you don't need them for stopping power, you're just adding extra weight over that of a smalled kit with adequate stopping power.

Rides
    riggy running standard disks and standard pads with standard hoses and unknown brake fluid.

I've told him to get some uprated pads first but i can see he has his heart set on a big ol set of AP's

Btw riggs - it doesnt really matter how good your brakes are if your running crap tyres.

Butuz

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel san
    Anyway, any reason why you want that big a disc? Other than it'll look good behind your wheels If you don't need them for stopping power, you're just adding extra weight over that of a smalled kit with adequate stopping power.
    And unsprung weight is worth double !!
    Bren, even with 400bhp, and slicks has never had need for bigger brakes than his 342mm 6-pot.

Rides
    Exactly, that's what I'm saying. I hear from people regularly that want the biggest kit possible, just for the hell of it.

RAYS say that every 1kg of unsprung weight you lose, is equal to losing 15kg off the car. Guess that's why they strive to make their wheels as light as poss!

Rides
    Butuz, dont worry, I will be getting some good tyres, I'm gonna have a word with Mr Bank manager to see if I can borrow some cash to get some wheels, these brakes and Brens coilover kit.

I'll still be buying the wheels off you too though if thats still ok

Only reason I want these brakes is cos they look so damn cool, and standard brakes would look a bit small behined these

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=173975

Do you have any alternative suggestion? They are a tad pricey after all if just for the looks the occasional trip to the ring

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel san
    you're just adding extra weight over that of a smalled kit with adequate stopping power.
    Arent they pretty light though

Rides
    Those wheels look stunning - 5 spokes, black, polished lip - perfect as far as i am concerned

Yeh come down and get the wheels any time you need to mate.

As far as brakes go i would put them in this order:

S14 - Steel 4 pots, 280x30mm vented disks

Skyline R33GTST - Steel 4 pots, 296x30mm vented disks. Cheap

Skyline R32GTR - Aluminium 4 pots, 296x32mm vented disks. Cheap (what i have)

Apex (or other) big brake kit - 310x30mm vented and uses your S14 steel calipers. £500 odd

Skyline R32GTR vspec / R33GTR / R34GTR - Brembo alloy 4 pot calipers 324 x 30mm disks quite expensive

Exotic 6 pot 340mm+ kits bloody expensive

Thats your rough options.

Rides
    So do the skyline caliper produce more force on the disk? or is it the size of the disk that makes the difference?

What would stop better... and resist fade (dont like fade - scares me )

S14 calipers and 310mm disk.. or

R32GTR calipers and 296mm disk?
    Last edited by hriggs; 28-09-2005 at 22:51.

Rides
    310 disk, calipers are similar, as I think both are the same thickness, newer skyline disks are 324mm and sometimes go cheap, sometimes are hard to find in good nick.

Rides
    hmmm

Looks like its not as easy as 'they are I want them' then.

Some carefull considering to be done

Rides
    In all honesty i think all 4 pots are much of a muchness - only difference between some and others is that some are alloy and light and some are steel and heavy, some have nissan on them and some have brembo on them.

The thing that has the biggest effect on braking is the pads, the second biggest effect is the size of the disk.

Butuz

Rides
    Price is all it comes down to for me. I picked up my R32GTR calipers, with grooved disks, and slightly worn ferrodo 2500 pads for £150. Your not going to get any better breaking value than that, and they fit under 16" wheels.

Butuz

Rides
    ok cheers for the info, I'll have to have a think about it - it is a lot or money for brakes.

but

Rides
    I want some one to make a brake kit like brens, using standard 4-pot calipers, but with bigger disks that'll fit under 17" wheels. I'm currently running the 310mm kit, but want a larger disk (as thats the main thing that'll make you stop quicker) because I get fade on track.

Anyone wanna make up some brackets and bells for me??

Rides
    So you don't think the brembo 4 pots offer better clamping pressure? I know the AP's will but like you say the size of the disk is very important.

Rides
    The clamping pressure isn't the problem - dissipating the heat is. Bigger disks will help with this. Slowing down on track is all about turning the kinetic energy of the car into heat and then getting rid of that heat. I might try some proper ducting to the disks - thats sposed to help a lot but theres limited space to get ducts in on my car.

AP/Brembo calipers will most likely be lighter and probably more ridgid than the Z32 ones I've got - but they're very expensive.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    I want some one to make a brake kit like brens, using standard 4-pot calipers, but with bigger disks that'll fit under 17" wheels. I'm currently running the 310mm kit, but want a larger disk (as thats the main thing that'll make you stop quicker) because I get fade on track.

Anyone wanna make up some brackets and bells for me??
    Have you thought about either getting some bigger spacers made up to move the calipers out? Eg - if you could move the calipers out another 7mm - you could fit 324mm R33/34 gtr disks on there? The other alternative is to get some R33GTST/R32GTR calipers - they are already spaced out 8mm more than the S14 ones due to their size and shape?

I have wanted to experement with brens 310mm caliper spacers, my R32GTR calpers, and some skyline disks. Just need to get the bits.

Butuz

Rides
    Are there any other big brake kits available for less cash then the AP one? I've checked stoptech and brembo (looked for Grex but cant find anything on them) - I cant find another kit for the 200, although I cant find one on the AP website either