Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can you change BEs on axle stands? (engine in the car)

Rides
    Same here LOL

Rides
    Guys, can oil help to reduce BE knocking? I've changed shells but still knock a bit... I can't take out the engine now so don't offer

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetal
    Guys, can oil help to reduce BE knocking? I've changed shells but still knock a bit... I can't take out the engine now so don't offer
    no not really mate, once they're knocking they'll only continue to get worse. Are you sure that it was definitely big ends that went and not a lifter?

Rides
    Well, 90% sure... Rattling starts after ~2700, gets louder with less load on engine... Besides I could see and feel with fingers that BE journals are worn out...
    So no chance with the oil? Well I'll change it anyway because a) I have a car for 2 months and don't know what oil is there b) I already bought it

Rides
    And once again the same question...
    Will the knocking (only sometimes hearable) be less with 5W-50 than with 5W-40?
    P.S. That is another engine, and no I can't change shells now

Rides
    it won't make any difference, or will make only very slight difference at best, if it is indeed big ends that have failed

Rides
    Can I add another little tip to this

The bracket going from the engine mount to the inlet plenum may require removal. I had to take mine off to allow one bolt to come out from the panel that needs removing to get to the sump bolt right at the back.

I didn't lower the frame on mine as the bolts looked too rusty and managed to get it done although I did have a ramp but using Arry's guide worked a treat thanks arry