Thread: Boost issue with Profec

Rides

Boost issue with Profec

When I modulate the throttle the wastegate opens and the boost drops to 0.4, if I floor it again the boost stays down at 0.4 and will only boost properly if I close the throttle completely then floor it, I've done the boost learning proceedure a couple of times but it hasn't helped. Is this a turbo problem or a boost controller problem?

Rides
    Anyone?

Rides
    yes i had the same problemwith my profec. there are possibly two solutions to this.

when you do the set up i assume you are letting off the throttle just before the red line.......you have to let it rev and bounce off the rev limiter.

or do what i did, get rid of it and use a bren device, made mine much better.... it even spools up quicker

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by philk
    yes i had the same problemwith my profec. there are possibly two solutions to this.

when you do the set up i assume you are letting off the throttle just before the red line.......you have to let it rev and bounce off the rev limiter.

or do what i did, get rid of it and use a bren device, made mine much better.... it even spools up quicker
    Yep I'm banging it off the rev limiter. It will hold boost on WOT, but just the slightest change and its dumps all the pressure. It also seems to start misreading the boost pressure - almost as if the offset is wandering about the place.

I think you're right about the Bren device, I'll give him a ring.

Rob

Rides
    By the way i never managed to get mine to work properly.
    I finally had enough of it one day when it refused to boost over 0.4 bar.
    FYI you can use it as a temporary boost guage though if your shourt of money

Rides
    Well it seems to work for a short time, then reverts to its old habits, what's interesting is that it says in the manual that it won't regulate boost below what the actuator is set for - so how the hell does it only give me 0.4 when during the setup I see 0.5? I'd not trust it as a boost guage!

Rides
    Is it a profec A? If so have you adjusted the offset using the little tiny nob on the right hand side? When I first installed mine after doing the P thingies it was boosting to almost 2 bar when set at 0.8
    But after fiddling around with the worlds most annoying nob it now reads fine. You need something else to read boost off though.....

-RIDDLES-

Rides
    Is this the Profec A as riddles asked?
    I used to have one and it did the same thing when you let off then re-applied. A few months later it simply died and would hold the boost at all
    I phone SVS in Devon (Trust/Greddy's UK dist) and they informed me that it was depressingly common for the stepper in the unit to fail as mine had.
    It actually reached a point where they refused to sell them as they were so unreliable

I've since fitted a Profec B-specII, which works properly, holds and generates boost in the same manner as the Bren device, and also doesn't spike when setup correctly
    So that may be worth considering

Rides
    It is indeed the older PRofec, with red LED and knobs on!?!

I'm trusting that my boost guage is correct as the PRofec and guage are about the same as was setup by Mr Potter, the car's previous owner. They both say 0.4bar after it does its little boost dumping trick, its really lazy holding boost, and the guage swings about between 0.6&0.8 under WOT.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rob
    Last edited by PhatBob; 27-06-2005 at 17:51.

Rides
    What I used to find is that when it dumps the valve has stuck open - you're basically running on actuator boost when this happens until you force it to generate boost again.
    You can try disasembling it and cleaning it, but this is fairly unlikely to work
    Personally I'd remove it while you can, They can also stick closed resulting in the dreaded infinate boost!

Rides
    I had the same problem with my Profec A - I have now ditched it in favour of a good ol' adjustable actuator

1993 [L] RS13 200SX
    2003 [53] MX-5 Angels
    2004 [04] E63 645i
    SXOC Member #199

Rides
    Guess I must be a lucky one then . The Profec I'm using was on a mates car for a year first and has now been on mine for a couple of months with no probs to speak off! (nervous laughter) Have you checked the little knobbly things on the back to make sure that they are in the right sequence?

-RIDDLES-

Rides
    Yep the dip-switches are set in the right sequence. Didnt remove it this evening as I was playing ARB settings. But its coming out thats for sure.

Rob