Thread: Hose options.

Rides

Hose options.

Apologies if this has been done to death - a search for 'hoses' didn't really work

Erm, anyway I need to sort my engine pipework properly. One of the biggest arses of a job is finding something to go from an S14 recirc valve (I think it's about an 1.5" dia, across the engine bay and into the pipe after the AFM. I'm not paying £40+ to have it in that blue Samco stuff , so what are the other options people have used.

Water hose is quite cheap http://www.flexiblehose.co.uk/rubberwaterhose.htm
    Any better suggestions?
    (Do B&Q/Homebase do anything suitable? - save me loads of fuel driving around enquiring )

Rides
    You can get flexy radiator hose in various lengths and bores from www.europaspares.com for slightly more sensible money, though there are probably cheaper places...if you can be bothered looking!

Edit:

I've just had a look at that site of yours and the "oil suction hose" looks about the best from a compatibility, cost and weight point of view, though it may be a bit inflexible...

I suppose you could use domestic waste pipe from B+Q, that's about 40mm (though I wouldn't recommend the push-fit fittings! )
    Last edited by Billy; 25-06-2005 at 23:00.

Rides
    silcon tubing is fairly cheap on ebay

Rides
    www.siliconhoses.com

If you want blue stuff then these fellas seem very reasonable...

-RIDDLES-

Rides
    mines been DV-less since the SR went in last summer. no problems yet and cheaper than buying hose

Rides
    I've got the original plastic one that goes across the top of the engine if thats any good for you john

Rides
    Thanks gents . I popped to B&Q and got a couple of metres of 30mm transparent braided water hose for £8, so I'll bodge it in one night this week and see how the car runs with a recirc (maybe get something a bit less Back to the Future-like later from one of those sites above).

Riddles, the confusion for me on that siliconhoses site is that the hose of the required diameter is 'straight' silicon hose, and I don't know how well that can be bent to get across the engine bay in a tidy way.

Kevin - I have the plastic pipe for the engine, but I'd still need the pipe to and from that to make it work. If you've got a spare stock S14 boost restrictor valve though...

Matt - I wan't the recirc to see how it feels. Also I want to quieten the car down, as it does bang rather loudly on gear changes and that ain't so cool at 1am driving through built-up-areas .

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bennett
    Also I want to quieten the car down, as it does bang rather loudly on gear changes and that ain't so cool at 1am driving through built-up-areas .

How d'ya think I feel!!! At least you can not change gear if needs be...

Rides
    Restrictor pipe from the solonoid John? If so I certainly do