Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Managing exhaust noise limits - teased from Japfest thread

UK . . . . . . . . . . . Power: .. ..... . 361bhp
    Rides
    OOh look, a japfest piccy!!
    Last edited by cHiL; 14-02-2006 at 20:34.

Rides
    nothing to see here
    Last edited by archenemy.co.uk; 14-02-2006 at 20:44.

Rides
    Raspberry Raspberry
    Last edited by archenemy.co.uk; 14-02-2006 at 20:45.

Rides
    Well what do you expect?
    Last edited by cHiL; 14-02-2006 at 20:38.

Rides
    Last edited by archenemy.co.uk; 14-02-2006 at 20:45.

Rides
    Steady on please guys, we gone on from noise issues now.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by cHiL
    Look Phil. in principal I agree with the general message of what you have tried to say but making stupid accusations is not the thing to do and it's completely out of order. Do not accuse me of trying to "knock" someone "off" a track. That's wrong and certainly is not a joke!
    Woah there man... how can you have a username like cHiL and be bleating on like a teenager with his cock stuck into the back of a lamb?

My silencer was very effective from jetex. It also took quite a lot of abuse last year, it has a few dints it in and the core has survived well and still does a good job.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mono Phil
    with 2 metering stations round the track and a no tolerance rule.
    There are actually 3 points on the track at Bedford where they meter the noise.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by yeager
    Woah there man... how can you have a username like cHiL and be bleating on like a teenager with his cock stuck into the back of a lamb?
    Hi yeager "cHiL" is one half of a surname, I haven't been a teenager for 21 years and I'm neither "welsh" nor beastial
    Last edited by cHiL; 14-02-2006 at 20:38.

Rides
    Well on saturday i had car messused at combe with the bung in it was 96.9 and with it out 101db

this is still with my nur spec and cresey de cats last year it was 100 db with the bung in so work that one out

Rides
    I was at Donington on the Friday before the show. I'm now running a scorpion decat and the apex type II exhaust (cat-back). When exiting the final corner (onto the home straight), I got measured at 102 dB!!!

I thought the apex II exhaust was meant to be quieter than the type I. I got the same reading last year when I had a straight through system with the type I exhaust on!

I then changed gear at the point where the noise meter is and that sorted it out!

Banned
    Rides
    i'm a women i know i put a pillow over my mouth that silences me or use your imagination

Banned
    Rides
    dinkle in gob

Rides
    I have been asked to review the Apexi N1 exti by pm so I thought I would post it up here. I think bren can do them for around 600 with varying lead times. I think Im the only SX owner with one in this country or at least very few people.

I dont have a digital camera on me at the moment so I wont be able to take a pic but its on the american website. It is 80% stainless steel its just the rear box that is titanium and has an "apexi" brand stamped in it. Its not as loud as the GT spec but is slightly louder then the N1 evo. The reason I got it is its a JASMA quiet exhaust and does not rust unlike the standard N1. The N1 evo is fully stainless but it wont fit the active tail silencer in. The N1 exti fits the active tail silencer in no problems. It also comes with a slash cut collar that fits over the back box exit, this has a nice blue flame effect that would be good to pop on when showing the car but unnecessary otherwise.

I would recommend this exhaust if you want a reasonable volume JASMA (less then 98db) exhaust which can fit the active tail silencer in for additional track time sound suppression without affecting power too much. If you dont have strict noise regulation and dont want the active tail silencer the N1 evo is the one to go for although slightly heavier.

Apexi exhausts that dont rust - N1 evo, N1 exti, GT spec
    Apexi exhausts that do rust - Dual N1, N1 (about 2-3 year life)

Apexi exhasts that work with the active tail silencer - GT spec, N1 exti, N1

Apexi exhausts over 98db (jasma) - GT spec

All of the above exhausts should cope with 4-500bhp

Rides
    I disagree that the non stainless exhausts only have a life of 2-3 years. The origiunal Nissan exhausts are only mild steel and they can last in excess of 10 years

Rides
    Ive had some bad experiences with mild steel in the past. I bought a Jetex back box that was meant to have all sort of super coatings on, it holed in 3 years. One of my friends had another english brand, that last 1.5 years he managed to get 3 out of it but by the time he sold the car it was more putty and patches then metal. I have heard people having similar experiences with HKS mild steel exhausts. Maybe apexi are better as ive not had any bad storys of holed exhausts.

Rides
    Fair comment, Im just going on standard type systems

Rides
    Another person PMing me about exhaust

pic -

Rides
    As asked earlier, what other places are there that could do a quick noise test??? I'm really worried about the level of mine as i'm running 3" turbo elbow + front pipe, 4" expansion de-cat, and Apex single box system.

Rides
    You can hire one from Bookatrack - if you are a trackday customer, or pop to most racetracks.