Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing exhaust noise limits - teased from Japfest thread

Rides
    I dont think I lost any power

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SM
    I dont think I lost any power
    I had a definate decrease in response and power. Although not tested, infact it's never been on the rollers, yet, I would say about 10-15bhp was lost, ish.

Rides
    Eh Its a straight through silencer, not baffled how can you loose that much if any. Me thinks you imagined it

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mono Phil
    Eh Its a straight through silencer, not baffled how can you loose that much if any. Me thinks you imagined it
    Well... I was a bit baffled (heh) when we fitted it and the response didn't seem the same. So the day I removed it I went for a run down a DC, removed the silencer, went back, and there was a marked difference.

However maybe the increased noise made it SOUND faster

Rides
    I need a 3 inch decat silencer, bren is kind of stuck at present with the ones he was going to do.... any suggestions of places to get one made?
    Currently scrabble powered - Leon Cupra 280

Rides
    Well I reckon Graham @ TopGearNW Did a cracking job on mine, I'll speak to him on Sat Mines in the mid-section but I reckon it could easily have been in the decat

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by SM
    Well I reckon Graham @ TopGearNW Did a cracking job on mine, I'll speak to him on Sat Mines in the mid-section but I reckon it could easily have been in the decat
    Cheers let me know
    Currently scrabble powered - Leon Cupra 280

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Mono Phil
    I lost a shit load of power (and response) when I used the Jetex boxes even after a re-map to allow for the fuelling changes. I had one 3" bore small oval with one 3" bore large oval as a rear box.

They might be straight through boxes but they take a chunk of power away on mine. Couldn't wait to get the Blitz back on.

Its ironic that the slowest the car will ever be is on a race track
    Last edited by mambastu; 27-10-2005 at 21:37.

Rides
    I'm using the largest 3" silencer with a Nur Spec on my car. Going to make up a straight through pipe. See if I can crack 500bhp

Also going to measure the back pressure before and after - should be quite interesting.

Rides
    Mine did, using an Apex twinbox catback, I reckon it dropped to low 90's but I also have a decat silencer. I replaced the small mid-box with the Jetex one, it made it lower to the ground (by ~1") but it fitted fine, slight angle to avoid the prop

Rides
    lol untill i learned that it could kill the seals in my turbo i was planning on running a scafolding bar straight out the back of the car. but i suppose its a good thing asi wouldnt get very far on a track day if this was the case

Rides
    If anyone is looking for an oval 3" Jetex silencer, I've got one spare - I was going to make it into a decat silencer, but it didn't happen before the car went...

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by blobsta
    the silencer is the same size as the exhaust so wouldnt slip over it very well

if he twised the box a bit to clear the prop the ground clearence would be just 2" and if i hit a speed bump i could rip the exhaust off

he said would be £70 + vat

i dont know what to do now

SM got any pics of yours so i can see if it inside or outside the exhaust also hows your ground clearence with that silencer box
    Yep, they are the same size, you need to flare one end, any good exhaust maker should have a flarer.

Yep, mine is slightly twisted, and the lowest part of the car.

I got mine done by a board member on here, Graham from TopgearNW, (TopGearNW on this BB) www.topgearnw.com and was MUCH less than £70, he is also about to do somwething similar with SteA's car but not with a JetEx silencer as he has sourced some other genuine 3" bore silencers to test.

Rides
    Has anybody got any experience of the apexi active tail silencer, they sound too good to be true.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exh...=217&pageNum=1

Rides
    We have batch of Jetex silencers (straight decat replacement on the s14s) that we are testing at the moment and have some of the Apexi active tailpipes coming to see how well they work

Rides
    Would the Jetex silencer get the single box through castle coombe without the bung?

My single box appears to be about 10db above other decatted ones for some reason too, probably the manifold. Also worried that with the bung being so restrictive and the amount off boost that the backpressure will blow out my turbo gaskets.
    Last edited by ian_t; 29-12-2005 at 11:27.

Rides
    I couldnt say for sure, I dont have db ratings for the suilencers yet. Will have soon though

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mambastu
    Just been down to Goodwood to have my car noise tested. Very friendly and helpful people down there

I mentioned that my car had a Skyline engine in it and they said that they have a lot of problems with Skylines and noise levels. An early bad sign was the guy shaking his head as I drove it up to him.

Measured at 5300 rpm I achieved.....115 db

I think I almost broke the fookin sound meter

I have a NUR Spec R cat back rear system with a custom built twin 2.5" into 3" front pipe. The odd thing is that if anything it actually sounds quieter inside the car with the bung out than it ever did with the same exhaust on the CA.

Jez, any idea what db's your car was before and after you fitted the additional silencer in it ?

Ah bugger, not sure that I'm going to be able to get that down to sub 105 levels even with an extra silencer and to be honest it sounds so nice with the current setup I don't really want to. Silly low noise limits

115dp are you sure? You'll struggle every 4db means a doubling in volume you would have to reduce the volume to less than 25% it's current level. I have a feeling the gauge or it's casing may be sesetive to a certain fequency causing a dodgey reading. Maybe the skyline just happens to hit that frequency more easily than other cars...

anyway just athought

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by mr-mac
    115dp are you sure? You'll struggle every 4db means a doubling in volume you would have to reduce the volume to less than 25% it's current level. I have a feeling the gauge or it's casing may be sesetive to a certain fequency causing a dodgey reading. Maybe the skyline just happens to hit that frequency more easily than other cars...

anyway just athought
    115dp ? No, 115 db

Yes, I'm sure. One of the marshalls at Goodwood kindly tested it for me before GT Battle last year with one of their handheld noise meters. I also used a friends Nokia with built in noise meter just to see how accurate it was in comparison and it recorded 114db.

I think you might be right about the frequency because it does sound very different to a CA's or SR'd 200SX (higher pitched) and the guy at Goodwood said they have a lot of problems with Skylines on trackdays. I had to get a custom exhaust made up to get it under 105dbs but it does rob a fair bit of power as previously mentioned so I'm looking at another solution.

The car is reasonably noisy at idle but when its revved it gets much much louder. You can literally hear the car howling from a couple of miles away when its on full chat. The weird thing is I don't get the uncomfortable resonance inside the passenger cabin that I used to get with the Nur Spec R when I had the CA in the car which makes the exhaust much more bearable with the bung out than it used to be......er....either that or I've gone deaf

Theres a vid I did last year of the car doing a few standing starts and it'll give some idea of the sound difference compared to a normal 200 http://mambastu.mysite.wanadoo-membe..._starts_01.mpg
    Last edited by mambastu; 31-01-2006 at 22:52.

Rides
    This is what BaT use on their caterhams to get the noise down.

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=27

Dont know if it would work on our turbo nutter barges.