Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing exhaust noise limits - teased from Japfest thread

Rides

Managing exhaust noise limits - teased from Japfest thread

Japfest thread had some interesting discussions on exhaust noise at circuits, I wanted to create a more focussed thread. I have a lot of events coming up and I want to tailor my exhaust emission for each venue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jez
    a great big silencer from Jetex in the cat position.
    Jez, any chance you can tell me where you got this and for how much?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtone
    I have 3 silencers on my car and still got kicked off

98db 1st sesh
    102db 2nd sesh

any ideas
    Tone, what setup is you have with 3 silencers in there?

I've got a custom (APT cut and shunt ) S14 downpipe into very cheap (it split on the welds after 48 hours!) S14 decat silencer which has been spliced into an S13 Nur Spec back system.

Ideally I would like to have something I can change easily. Looked at these options;

Apexi Exhaust Control Valve
    http://www.apexi.com/product_exhaust...=251&pageNum=1
    But it kills power too much.

SUPERTRAPP Clamp On Disc
    http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...DE=MSD344-1705
    Again this could potentiall kill power too much

If I had 2/3 silencers I could swap into the decat space, each giving me 96/98/100db's that would be ideal.
    Last edited by yeager; 22-05-2005 at 23:00.

Rides
    Good thread, maybe a sticky in the making?

For the record, i got kicked off Bedford autodrome for a 20m drive-by noise of 90dbs, the limit was 87.5. I have S14, and was running std downpipe, cat and nur spec WITH THE BUNG IN! I was on about 9psi too... The bloke reckoned it was the wind carrying the noise, i reckon it was bullsh1t but those are the regs laid down by the local council, so didn't bother to argue the toss. I'd bet my bottom dollar there were cars there that were louder.

Sorry, rambled. But hope this is useful expirience.

Edit, just read that back, i'm not bitter, not really, just gutting when you pay £200 to do 4 1/2 laps. Las, where are you? Back me up!
    Last edited by driftking; 22-05-2005 at 23:13.

Rides
    I got an S14 decaqt silencer from Bren. Makes a huge difference to my NUR-Spec.

I think your easiest option will be the exhaust valve! I for one would no tlike to change a red hot silencer if it was a fraction too loud

Rides
    a bung makes a huge difference to my car's noise output.

Rides
    Sports cat + mongoose = straight through

Why bother having 3 options, just get it as quiet as you can without loosing power

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ATrull
    a bung makes a huge difference to my car's noise output.
    You didn't see the disapproving looks you got from my neighbours

Seriously though, what noise level would be considered appropriate, and/or tolerable for a residential situation, rather than just a track?

I'm aware that whilst being "too loud" on a track can get you pulled in, or prevented from going out at all, I think we should also bear in mind keeping good diplomatic relations with the people we live by.

Something I've been wondering about is whether residential situations would tolerate a louder exhaust than a track situation. On a track there are many cars creating noise, whereas on a single road there's just you. Any thoughts?

Rides
    Theres the ATP boost operated exhaust valve thingy. Still might be a problem if you have noise monitored on the track all the time though.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=BCS

Rides
    I got my silencer from Merlin Motorsport - you can view the range of silencers here: www.jetex.co.uk, in the universal parts section.

I went for the biggest 3" silencer they do (Its a straight through design, so shouldn't impede flow too much) with a cat back 80mm Nur Spec. Never had a prob with noise so far.

Rides
    Sorry, but how does this work?

The Apexi Active Tail Silencer is another good option!
    http://www.prostreetonline.com/news/...il%5Fsilencer/

Rides
    It goes on the end of the exhaust pipe - quite effective, but makes the backpressures quite large.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by nene
    You didn't see the disapproving looks you got from my neighbours

Seriously though, what noise level would be considered appropriate, and/or tolerable for a residential situation, rather than just a track?

I'm aware that whilst being "too loud" on a track can get you pulled in, or prevented from going out at all, I think we should also bear in mind keeping good diplomatic relations with the people we live by.

Something I've been wondering about is whether residential situations would tolerate a louder exhaust than a track situation. On a track there are many cars creating noise, whereas on a single road there's just you. Any thoughts?
    you haven't heard the dissapproving shouting from my neighbouring streets when I fire it up at night without the bung

Rides
    Mr Yeager Sir...

The noise your tyres were making on Saturday morning in the Travel Inn car park drowned out your exhaust

[assuming it was you arsing about doing doughnuts at 7am ]

Rides
    I got my silencer from Merlin Motorsport - you can view the range of silencers here: www.jetex.co.uk, in the universal parts section.

I went for the biggest 3" silencer they do (Its a straight through design, so shouldn't impede flow too much) with a cat back 80mm Nur Spec. Never had a prob with noise so far.

Doh.. I've just PM'd you asking for all these answers lol

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMorrison
    Doh.. I've just PM'd you asking for all these answers lol
    LOL - just replied. And you're more than welcome to come on a track session where grip is a priority

Rides
    LOL - just replied. And you're more than welcome to come on a track session where grip is a priority
    Dont confuse him! Im not sure his noggin could cope with the idea of grip

Excellent drifting btw phil, got some nice footage ill put it up soon

Butuz

Rides
    Actually as I was just saying to Mr Jez, maybe we can learn something from each other. I'd be very keen to learn to grip a little better, I think it could do wonders for my drifty antics .. Butuz, I look forward to the footage mate Cheers

Rides
    Its a pity all the footage was taken from behind the fence on the corner by the bit where you enter/exit the track - i bet you got some good stuff going round by quarry etc

http://www.butuz.net/200sx/Japfest/Phil-Drifting-HQ.wmv

There ya go - pity i didint get you in the wet

Butuz
    Last edited by Butuz; 23-05-2005 at 10:00.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMorrison
    Actually as I was just saying to Mr Jez, maybe we can learn something from each other.
    I think we could - as soon as I get my car at all sideways I try to correct it straight away rather than letting it go. Mainly because I'm scared and usually end up spinning. Would be good to be able to cope if I get more sideways than planned And of course drifting looks like a really good laugh

Rides
    I agree. I think learning to be in total control of the car when the back end steps out would be invaluable. Probably more so than those pfiffy advanced driver "dont cross your hands" courses that people rave on about.

Most people crap emselves when the back end steps out, and do things wrong such as lift off suddenly, or brake, or over correct. Being able to correct a slide without thinking puts you in far better stead should you ever need it on public roads.

Drifting is something i really want to give ago - ive got 4 spare wheels and tyres now, ill have my GTR brakes sorted soon, all i really need then is an uprated WMIC and new clutch, after that ill have no excuses to stop Phil from dragging me kicking and screaming onto the track

Butuz

Rides
    on topic?