Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ca18det powered s12?

Rides

ca18det powered s12?

mate of mine is thinking of this conversion, is this possible or is it easier to change just the head?

for the want of a newer and more powerfull engine

Rides
    In theory you could change the head, however you would still have to change the loom for DET ECU. You would be creating yourself more work my swapping the head as opposed to doing a full DET change. There are some incompatible things between the two engines like having to make a new bottom cam pulley. The DET bottom pulley is too large for the nose of the ET crank, so a custom one would have to be machined. Also the ET uses smaller headbolts, so some collars would have to be made to fit around the bolts to secure the head. The ET bolts would also be the too short. You would have to drill into the block to locate the DET belt tensioner. I could ramble on for ever lol.

The biggest difficulty appears to be the loom. Everyone doing this conversion is having difficulties doing it. Ratdat on the forum has completed this change successfully. I don't think its difficult, you just need to have a good brain for this type of puzzle.

Rides
    shouldnt be long until i do mine with dougal and adz then il do a rite up www.s12oc.com

Rides
    Far, far easier to change the whole engine, plus the DET bottom end is stronger than the ET one. The wiring is pretty confusing to be honest as the ECCS on a CA18DET is very different to that of a CA18ET. The S12 doesn't have some of the relays required and the fuel pump circuit on the S12 is all wrong for the DET. Armed with both ECCS wiring diagrams it's possible to figure it all out though.

When I did it I altered the wiring of the S12 ECCS relay to suit the DET harness but if I was to do it again I think it would be easier to not bother using the S12 power circuit and wire in an indpendant relay, self contained in the DET engine harness. Likewise, the fuel pump requires you to wire in a relay as the S12 doesn't have one so I ended up not using the wiring in the S12 but ran new wires through to the pump.

Strangely, it's a hell of a lot more difficult to wire a CA18DET into an S12 than it is to wire an SR20DET into an S13!

Rides
    lol it looks like it be a fun job to do. cheers guys

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    wish i head stronger head bolts

Rides

CA18DET into S12

Quote Originally Posted by dodgydave
    mate of mine is thinking of this conversion, is this possible or is it easier to change just the head?

for the want of a newer and more powerfull engine
    This is very interesting.
    Recently acquired what is a good solid S12 and already have a spare S13 (facelift), all be it a little bent, but has very good mechanicals.

Considering turning the S12 into a trackday car (instead of using the current S13). Have had thoughts on transplanting as much as possible from the S13, certainly the engine.

Please excuse my total ignorance on this consideration but what should we be looking to do:
    Does the engine transplant relatively easy.
    Do we use the S13 ECU and looms etc
    Rear axle
    Gearbox
    Suspension

Any advice, comments, previous knowledge would be greatly recieved and digested, prior to making the decision as to what to do.

Many thanks
    John

Rides
    Okee....

Mechanically the engine transplant is a doddle. With minor modding to a few things like heater matrix piping, but nothing major what so ever.

Yes you indeed have to swap the loom. This is what everyone is struggling with.

Gearbox...The s12 gearbox is best for this transplant. You would have to do a few mods to the prop to get an s13 one to fit.

The diff isn't transferrable, in fact the whole rear end is very different on the s12. You can transfer the diff internals into the s12 case. The prob here is you would have to use the S13 inner joints on the s12 driveshafts.

Suspension is a difficult one. Lowering makes a big difference, doing a coilover conversion on the front is simple enough and will enable camber adjustment. Sorting out the rear is difficult.

Rides
    Many, many thanks.
    In simple terms it therefore appears that our best bet is to do the engine/ECU/loom transplant.
    Leave the S12 Rear end in situ.
    Use the S12 gearbox.
    If I am reading correctly, this should give us a reasonable base from which to develope, over time, a useable track day car.

Any further info, comments, suggestions etc, would be graetfully recieved.

Cheers
    John

Rides
    sounds interesting, how hard would it be to do the whole s13 drivechain, i.e gearbox, rear axles etc.... basically a s12 bodied s13

Rides
    I'd imagine its a massive pain in the arse.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI
    Yes you indeed have to swap the loom. This is what everyone is struggling with.

Dont think anyones struggling with it, dont think anyone who can be bothered to do a how to on it has got round to doing it yet.

Rides
    I can't see how anyone can just do a how to, without actually doing it in the 1st place. All the answers lie in the electrical diagrams of both cars, its just a matter of noting the differences, and working around things. You prob could find a how to on club-s12. There's quite a few doing the conversion now.

And people are struggling, I remember drift junkie saying he cant thread the old s12 loom out so he's just gonna hack it apart, cause its totally pissin the man off.

Rides
    sounds like a nasty job then, surely you can leave most harness in but its the sensors on the ca18det that must cause grief, i.e the lamba etc, all the rest surely can get threaded thro the bulk head into the s13 ecu? i.e coil packs and fuel pump wiring?

all the original wires for lights and indicators must stay in one piece or get spliced on the s13 ecu??

Rides
    OK guys I've got plans like these too. Old rusty S12 and spare CA18DET will meet
    Probably not for this year as I've got enough other things to do

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI
    I can't see how anyone can just do a how to, without actually doing it in the 1st place. All the answers lie in the electrical diagrams of both cars, its just a matter of noting the differences, and working around things. You prob could find a how to on club-s12. There's quite a few doing the conversion now.

And people are struggling, I remember drift junkie saying he cant thread the old s12 loom out so he's just gonna hack it apart, cause its totally pissin the man off.

Reece has done it and says its easy. He is helping me with mine Just need the 3 green relays from a s13

Rides
    I want to see this finished by next friday then

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    what about if you have an aftermarket ecu like me, would this be easier to transplant a different engine.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by S13 EATER
    what about if you have an aftermarket ecu like me, would this be easier to transplant a different engine.
    Wiring yes but you'll need a remap.

Rides
    Weekend job with Omex i reckon. It'll only be the main swap.I recommend the ECU change anyway,makes the AFM redundant and makes the chattering a lot louder