Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CA18ET bigger injectors?

Self confessed player of the pink oboe docwra's Avatar
    Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ratdat
    I haven't seen anyone try to CA18DET ECCS on an ET yet? How come nobody has done that?
    Danny may have done one, but either way is hassling me chronically to do it to one of mine ........... Im surprised you havent done it Eddie?
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    I get the feeling that this would only work if we could pursuade Ernest Borgnine to drive the Isle of Wight to Portsmouth hovercraft.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprout
    After I shave my balls swarfega helps soothe, but means the hair grows back quite quickly, so give it a go

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI
    I guess it can be done. The only thought I have with this would be getting the CAS inside the dizzy to work with the S13 loom. I know they have the same disc internally ie the no. of slits etc, so i reckon it could be bodged.
    THat's what I thought. If the CAS signal is the same then I see no reason why you couldn't use the DET harness, AFM and injectors. Then you can use the chips available for the DET

Rides
    I'm up for helping someone do this...

It should work in theory. I reckon the map won't be perfect due to the different flow of the ET, but from some of the power curves I've seen of some of the chips, they aren't the smoothest curves available anyway. As long as the fueling is good, who cares...

Rides
    the answes to some of the questions asked are:

T25 Hybred - nop! the turbo has to be completely standard - you can't even go for a 360 degree bearing!

Much as I love the idea of sticking in the 20DET into the car and running Competition class, the SST is one of only 52 ever built with the Nissan engine and I just cant bring myself to do it! It would mean effectively destroying the car by taking the angle grinder to the bodywork to lose the weight I would need to in that class or super mod! Besides Craig will be up there in Comp before long - you just know he won't be satisfied with his SS1 until it is the ultimate track version!

The engine is currently in bits being rebuilt to be bullet proof, so that why the oportunity to make changes now.

Haven't gone down the fuel pressure regulator yet so that may be a possibility?

There doesn't seem to be anything in the regs that prevents a change of the AFM so that may also be in?

Keep the ideas coming fella's

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by docwra
    Danny may have done one, but either way is hassling me chronically to do it to one of mine ........... Im surprised you havent done it Eddie?
    I've never really bothered tuning an ET beyond adding an IC, increasing boost and swapping intakes and TB's. I never saw much point as for me it was easier just to fit a more powerful engine to start with.

Some day I would like to work with an ET because they are so small and light... perfect for a swap into something small.

Rides
    Easy Crouchie! Me? not satisfied? As if...........

Have you seen Shauns (S13 Eaters) pics of his engine and turbo? food for thought eh? Any bloody bigger and id never get the bonnet shut!

Rides
    ou know it makes sense!

I've just had a look at S13 Eater's pics and yes I have work to do...but half of it's not allowed under the regs!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by ratdat
    THat's what I thought. If the CAS signal is the same then I see no reason why you couldn't use the DET harness, AFM and injectors. Then you can use the chips available for the DET
    Ignition would be seriously wrong but at least you could get Jez to change the map. I think the reason most people go for something programmable is the ease of change - those that use them generally can't stop themselves changing things!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by crouchie_b
    Much as I love the idea of sticking in the 20DET into the car and running Competition class, the SST is one of only 52 ever built with the Nissan engine and I just cant bring myself to do it!
    *Coughs and hides*

Rides
    Why would the ignition be seriously wrong? You would just set the base timing in the normal way..

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI
    Why would the ignition be seriously wrong? You would just set the base timing in the normal way..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Walker in the Haynes High Performance Tuning series engine Management Manual
    Fig 12.20 Two-valave engines always run more ignition advance than four valve engines due to the less efficient combustion chamber design.
    He actually shows 2 maps one for 2 valve and one for 4 valve and they look completely different, not just a case of scaling against the base timing.

Rides
    Ahh gottya....

From what I've can tell the ignition map normally follows the torque characteristic of the engine, but yeah thought the flow would cause some problems. The ET engine would pull less load through the afm, so would end up on a different place on the map.

When you drive my car you can tell its way off map. Its so laggy an unresponsive. If I plant it from idle you can feel variations in power until about 4k.

Might be worth a go with the DET loom still if ya ask me. It could be the case that the engine will run too retarded for lower rpm stuff or vice versa. Ideally you'd advance the timing as much as possible for the higher rpm stuff.

Unfortunately there is only one way of telling lol...

Who's gonna be the guinea pig?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by scimmy ben
    *Coughs and hides*
    I know - if I'd known that when I bought it, I'd never have started sprinting it.

The flat cap and polish brigade tut every time they walk by it at Curborough!

In the next couple of years I'm going to get a rough SS1ti and use all the stuff I'm learning about now to produce something to go quick enough to keep Craig on his toes

Rides
    bring it on Crouchie boy, bring it on!

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by CNHSS1
    bring it on Crouchie boy, bring it on!
    that didn't take long!

Rides

Cool

Just a quick update to sumarise what I'm going to do following the help:

1) purchase a fuel regulator - just got one which will be fitted when I put the engine back together

2) get it to a rolling road to set up the Fueling, Timing & Boost- found one near me that the N/W section have used for their R/R days, so they know the engines

I'm doing these first and then seeing if I need to alter the injectors and AFM but the general concensus seams to be that the standard ones will be good for the 180 - 200 bhp I'm aiming for.

I may be trying the 300cc injectors and the Primera AFM at a later date but we will see...

Many thanks for all the comments and help.

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    i think i had 221bhp on the standared injectors and martin has got 237bhp.

Rides
    I've just put your 370 injectors in shaun. not started the car yet tho. putting the SAFC in next.

is there a better air flow meter i could use than the S12 one? seems very narrow to me!

the beast from the north east (derbyshire)
    Rides
    could you use the z32tt afm.

Rides
    I dont know, could I ?

How would the SAFC cope with that?