Thread: difference between the SR20DET

Rides

difference between the SR20DET

What’s the difference between the SR20DET red top found in the 240SX and the one found in the S14 UK modal?

Rides
    Registered over a year ago and still doesn't know that the 240SX doesn't have an SR20 fitted as standard...

Anyway, the red top SR20 from the 180SX has a different block (no oilway for the VVT), different head (low port design rather than high port), no VVT plus lots of other stuff thats been covered before

Rides
    It’s not something I have ever look into before but as im looking for one I wanted to know the difference. The chap who has offered me one says it has come out of his 240 in the US. I just assumed it was standard.

I think I am going to hold out for a UK spec engine.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by MR SXY
    It’s not something I have ever look into before but as im looking for one I wanted to know the difference. The chap who has offered me one says it has come out of his 240 in the US. I just assumed it was standard.

I think I am going to hold out for a UK spec engine.
    There's usually the odd smashed S14 in the breakers/for sale section (can think of 1 off the top of my head) - WAAAY cheaper than importing a 3rd hand red-top engine from the USA, and you can hear it running, and you can make sure you get all the required ancilliary gubbins.

Plus does this red-top have even have a T28 on it? - was probably a T25g when it came from the factory on a 180sx S13 before being pulled out and sent to the US to be fitted into the current seller's car.

Rides
    I have seen a few on the board including the one im talking about but i have been looking for one with low miles. Below 50K would be ideal and the one from the US is $1500 shipped. I am guessing there will be import tax to pay, which will add a bit more.

I have been offered a UK one though for £1400 with all the bits so im going for this one first.

Rides
    I have seen a few on the board including the one im talking about but i have been looking for one with low miles. Below 50K would be ideal and the one from the US is $1500 shipped. I am guessing there will be import tax to pay, which will add a bit more.

I have been offered a UK one though for £1400 with all the bits so im going for this one first.
    My shipping, import tax, handling and delivery on my £1500 engine, box, diff + bits, came to £700 That was from Malaysia, but I don't believe the US is necessarily cheaper .

A UK engine and gearbox should certainly be very low mileage for £1400

Rides
    Was yours the SR20DET out of the S15, thats the one i want but the cost is to high.

Rides
    Was yours the SR20DET out of the S15, thats the one i want but the cost is to high.
    Yep, got the whole running gear and wiring harness. Lots of panic and worry with the crate going to the wrong continent and taking 4 months to arrive though
    Seller pulled a fast one with the diff too, and gave me one from an automatic/type S (LSD, not helical)

Rides
    looks like you have got it all sorted now then. 4 months is a long time but worth it in the end. Im going after the gear box and everything as im not sure if mine is the same, i can always move the gear box on after if i don’t need it.

Now then mate. Yes, it's my brother selling the engine with only 34k on it. I've spoke to him and he's gonna contact you asap.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by veilside200sx
    Now then mate. Yes, it's my brother selling the engine with only 34k on it. I've spoke to him and he's gonna contact you asap.

Cool look forward to hearing from him.