Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerFC FAQ

Rides

PowerFC FAQ

Q. The 'Check Engine Light' is on, what have I done wrong?
    A. This means that you haven't turned off the Boost Control Kit*. Go to ETC->FUNCTION SELECT -> 1. Boost Cntl Kit change the Japanese symbol from アリ (ON) to ナシ (OFF)

* This is an optional part but the setting is turned on by default

Q. The Check Engine Light keeps flashing, what does it mean?
    A. This is a WARNING, it means something BAD is happening! Warnings are in ETC -> FUNCTION SELECT -> 2. Air-Flow Warn/3. Injector Warn/4. Knock Warn You can turn these アリ (ON) or ナシ (OFF)

Q. I have a Z32 MAFS what am I supposed to do?
    A. Go to SETTING -> Air Flow -> 4. 80piVG30 Air-F Just highlight it then press back and it will save the setting

Q. I have a Q45 MAFS what am I supposed to do?
    A. Go to SETTING -> Air Flow -> 5. 90piVH41 Air-F Just highlight it then press back and it will save the setting

Q. I have big injectors but a small brain, help!!
    A. Go to SETTING -> Injector You will see 6 settings, hopefully you will already have realised that there are only 4 in your engine so you only have to change the top 4. The first column is for the injector size, this is easy to work out: [old injector cc] divided by [new injector cc] multiplied by 100 = % to be entered. The right of % column, there is a column for Injector Lag Correction, you should find out what this is (do a search!!) and then enter it here. Common ones are

Nismo 550 = 0.18
    Nismo 740 = 0.08
    Denso/Sard 550 = 0.2
    Denso/Sard 850 = 0.24

More to come as I think of them (or get requests )

Rides
    Q. Is the commander the best way to set up my Power FC ?
    A. If at all possible get somebody with previous experience to do the set up for you as there can be dire consequences for getting it wrong. If you decide that you want to do it yourself then you can use the commander but it can be complicated, if you have access to a laptop then you could purchase an interface box and software from http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/ which is easier to use. You will also need a method of monitoring the fuelling during the setup (a wideband lambda sensor is recommended).
    Last edited by David_S14; 27-04-2005 at 11:00.

Rides
    i like it

are you getting loads of questions from others as well as me ben?? i think you should do a full list a get it made a sticky???...could save some time?...

could you pm me how to unlock and lock the commander if you dont want to add it to the list...

i must admit every time i see people with pfc promlems or should i get it mapped!!!....i look to see what spares are to be had for when it go'es bang!
    have my eye on some 740 injectors at the mo

pops

Rides
    can you add the wiring changes to make it work in an s14a, theres 5 wires that need swapping isnt there.
    Last edited by antony; 27-04-2005 at 11:07.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops
    are you getting loads of questions from others as well as me ben?? i think you should do a full list a get it made a sticky???...could save some time?...

pops
    I think this post tipped him over the edge

I could hear the teeth grinding from here

Rides
    Q. What is the difference between the "D Jetro" Power FC and the regular ones.

A. The D Jetro (named after the old Bosch D Jetronic fuel injection system) version replaces the mass air flow sensor with a MAP (manifold absolute pressure) and intake temperature sensor. This system calculates load using the "speed density" method. This system has an advantage in that you are not restricted by an air flow meter, and gets over the problem of "maxing out" the AFM. The map sensor and temp sensor are sold seperately.

Q. What is the Power FC Pro? Who are AP Engineering?

A. The Power FC Pro is a tweaked version of the normal Power FC, the main difference being that it has a two-stage rev limiter (launch control) and an ignition cut (rather than injector cut) rev limiter. This is said to provide a safer rev limiter than the fuel cut, and is aimed mainly for drag racing. It also has a different base map. AP Engineering (the seller of the above) is a division of Apexi which does tuning, engine builds etc.
    Last edited by Papa Lazarou; 27-04-2005 at 11:36.

Rides
    i guess we are all? are guilty one way or another as we want the bigger power etc but very few know what they are doing...i my self will own up to this one... as these turbo babys are not like the normal type engines..i have had to learn alot and still a long way to go....even minor power increases are not a one item job...

to sum up.....

all i can say to the guys on this site is that know is....

pops

Rides
    How about an intro on the FC (edited from http://shop.importdriver.com.au)

The Power FC replaces the factory ECU and controls all engine parameters. The factory engine harness does not need to be replaced on the S14 but some minor rewiring is required on the S14a, all critical accessories such as air conditioning continue to function. By using the optional FC COMMANDER, the user can adjust and modify a wide range of settings.

Using the commander the Power FC operates from of three Menus:
    Monitor, Setting, and ETC.

Monitor Mode, the Commander can display up to 10 parameters of data in real time.

Engine RPM
    Ignition Timing
    Vehicle Speed
    Air Flow Voltage (Pressure Sensor Voltage)
    Injector Duty Cycle
    Boost
    Knocking Level
    Battery Voltage
    Intake Air Temp
    Water Temp

In addition, there are 4 display patterns allowing 1-8 parameters to be shown on screen at once. The data displays in numerical real time values with the option of a real time 10 second graph display. Peak Hold values and Display Hold functions only require the touch of a button. The Map Trace Mode allows Ghost Map Tracing of the Fuel Correction and Ignition Timing maps. This allows the user to see what point of the map is being used in real time. The Ghost Map Trace function leaves markers on the used portions of the map for easy reference.

Setting Mode allows full access to the 20x20 ignition timing and fuel correction maps. The user can adjust any portion of this map in 5x5 sections.

Air flow correction values can be entered for vehicles upgrading air flow meters.
    Injector pulse correction menu is used when upgrading injectors on the engine.
    The Acceleration Enrichment Correction function improves response under hard and sudden acceleration.
    The Cranking Fuel Injection menu corrects the amount of fuel when the engine is being cranked, or when the water temp. is low.
    A separate Water Temp menu allows fuel correction according to water temperature.
    The RPM menu allows adjustment of rev limiter settings and idle RPM levels.

Complete boost control is possible by using the optional Boost Control Kit.

The ETC Menu contains utility parameters such as : version information, LCD screen Brightness, and Initialization of all Data. In addition, the ETC Mode allows the user to monitor all factory sensors through one screen. This screen can tell the user if any sensor is in use or malfunctioning.

The Power FC also comes preprogrammed with several base maps which make the initial tuning process quicker. As with all other fuel controllers, the POWER FC should be tuned on a dynomometer by a trained professional. A high grade air/ fuel ratio monitor is also recommended during tuning to ensure best results.

Rides
    Now the only thing that is missing is some explanations on how to tune the maps, but i know that is very very difficult to explain and that each car is different even with the same setup, etc... wich means i'm fu**ed

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by antony
    can you add the wiring changes to make it work in an s14a, theres 5 wires that need swapping isnt there.
    Its in the sticky at the top of this section, but if it helps:

S14A

Fuel Pump Relay:
    106 (standard ECU) -> 104 (PowerFC)

Camshaft Position Sensor:
    22 -> 31
    30 -> 40
    31 -> 22
    40 -> 30

S15

Fuel Pump Relay:
    106 -> 104

Camshaft Position Sensor:
    22 -> 31
    30 -> 40
    31 -> 22
    40 -> 30

VVT Solenoid:
    114 -> 105 (leave the spare wire disconnected)

Wastegate Control Solenoid:
    102 -> 115
    Last edited by Actual_Ben_Taylor; 23-03-2009 at 15:20.

Rides
    If i had higher fuel pressure must i change some settings in the Power FC then?

Can someone tell me witch fuel pressure it is original on a S14a (sr20det blacktop)?

Sorry for the english.
    Last edited by jockelw; 03-05-2005 at 22:03.

Rides
    are there implications for std NATS alarm/immobiliser on the S14a's?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kuddy
    are there implications for std NATS alarm/immobiliser on the S14a's?
    If you fit a PowerFC then the immobiliser stops working but the alarm is fine.

Rides
    Injector lag time for S15 480cc injectors are 0.78ms @ 3bar
    Apex'i manual states stock 370cc injectors of S13 and S14 SR20DET measured 0.58ms lag, measured at 14.0v with stock fuel pressure.
    Therefore the lag correction factor is 0.20
    Last edited by Kuddy; 31-08-2005 at 23:37.

Rides
    Anyone that knows the lag time for JECS 550s that you can get cheap @ http://www.deatschwerks.com/ ?

Rides
    I´ll answear my own question, got a reply from David:
    -"Latency times will vary with fuel pressure and voltage but about 0.75ms should be very close."

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTaylor200
    If you fit a PowerFC then the immobiliser stops working but the alarm is fine.
    Is this also true for an S14? as the immobiliser isn't contained within the ECU.

Rides
    Your a 96 version mate, do you have the S14a ecu ???

Rides
    No it's an early 96 S14 ECU so I was wondering if the immobiliser remains after fitting a PFC. Anyone know?

Rides
    Yes all works as before on my late 95 s14