Thread: Idling Rough

Rides

Idling Rough

Can any of you engine guys let me know what the symptoms are of the timing being out???

Just got car back from garage after spending HUGE amounts of money and it runs like a tractor

It sounds like its misfiring when at idle then seems to hesitate on accelaration. Is this the timing or could it be the next problem in the life of my S14?

Rides
    does it sound like its fireing on 3 rather than 4? could well be a spark plug or a coil pack.

the other thing to make the sr sound like a tractor is supposed to be the turbo gaskets failing.

Rides
    Err, if you just spent lots of money at a garage and it now runs crap I know where i'd be going and demanding it put right

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam D
    Err, if you just spent lots of money at a garage and it now runs crap I know where i'd be going and demanding it put right
    Damn straight!!

Dave

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S
    Damn straight!!

Dave
    jive turkey

Rides
    my turbo gaskets are leaking a little due to a bolt coming loose and being lost, my symptoms are a lumpy idle but runs fine on boost.

id guess its a intake leak. if plugs and leads are ok of course.

actually timing may be worth checking as it does it while driving.

Rides
    Thanks for all the replys guys. Just to cross a few things off the list. It has just had all three gaskets replaced eg manifold and two tubby ones. It has had new inlet cam pulley and VVT mechanism fitted. This is why i thought the timing may be not quite right. The plugs and coil packs were ok when it went into the garage so i am assuming they are still ok. I will be taking it back to the garage, but just wanted to know if the timing being out would make it run like its on 3 instead of 4 cylinders. Took it for a blast this morning and once it gets through the initial hesitation it gets onto full boost and i took her upto 130 on my own private test track. I can feel it hesitating even at that speed though, i know its not quite right cos at the point i backed off it is normally going faster!!!
    Last edited by stu658; 20-03-2005 at 13:11. Reason: updating

Rides
    if the engine been fettled with recently then your problem is probably something to do with that.

whenever i get a problem now i always think "hmmm...what have i changed or done differently lately?" usaully guides me to right answer.