Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rear Brembos onto S14/a

Rides

rear Brembos onto S14/a

a few questions -
    has anyone changed their rear brakes for Skyline GTR or 350z rear Brembos?
    what's involved exactly?
    is it worth it?
    how easy/hard are they to source?

Rides

s14 rear brake upgrade

yes you can fit skyline rear caliper in therory but the problem is the hand brake , as the s14 caliper acts as the foot brake & has buil;t in handbrake mech were as the skylines & 300zx models using twin pot rear calipers have the caliper for the foot brake & separate handbrake shoes...................

there is a few people who have done this using s13 parts etc.....as it has a similar handbrake set up as skyline but it a very tricky conversion to do.

Rides
    350Z rear calipers don't fit, the mounting points are different.

R33 handbrake cables work on the S14 with the GTR rear brakes

Rides
    ahhh, good info fellers.
    So R34 rear calipers are the way to go, and R34 rear hubs aswell??

Rides
    Why go to all the hassle of fitting uprated brakes on the rear when they do next to nothing anyway???

Rides
    they're gold and shiney

nah, just a little project to improve the brake balance - since fitting the R34 fronts it has felt a little 'too' front biased. I remember Ben saying he'd improved his braking by modifying the rears

Rides
    Can you not just get better pads for the rears to improve them ?

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by amnesia
    Can you not just get better pads for the rears to improve them ?
    Wouldn't better pads just make them fade free for longer though, as opposed to correcting any balance problems.
    2004 - on : 1999 S14a 398bhp 378lb/ft
    2010 - on : 2007 RX8 PZ
    1998 - 2004 : 1991 S13

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottie
    Wouldn't better pads just make them fade free for longer though, as opposed to correcting any balance problems.
    perfectly correct. when I did the fronts I also fitted Brembo discs at the back, uprated the pads and had the calipers fettled as the slides were sticking. I now get even pad wear on the back plus a lot more brake dust than I used to so there's no question that they're not working properly.

I'm gonna have to start a bit of a shopping list

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by Engine_Swap
    Why go to all the hassle of fitting uprated brakes on the rear when they do next to nothing anyway???
    The rear brakes do make a difference as I'm sure Ben will tell you shortly. You are upsetting the bias by just loading massive brakes on the front and nothing in the rear.

Rides
    what rear set-up are you running Phil?

c'mon Ben, give us the low down

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilMorrison
    The rear brakes do make a difference as I'm sure Ben will tell you shortly. You are upsetting the bias by just loading massive brakes on the front and nothing in the rear.

Under braking you want the car to be as stable as possible. Putting huge front discs on and not changing the rear will mean that the bias will be increased to the front making the back end lighter and more unstable.

If any of you ride a motorbike you'll understand that you use 70% front and 30% rear when you're riding. Seeing as you don't have 2 brake pedals in your car its done automatically.

So shifting the bias from say 70-30 to 90-10 (guessed figures) would mean that before you enter a corner the back end could be chasing the front.

I'm probably well off, and ben will explain it much better than I.

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkster

Under braking you want the car to be as stable as possible. Putting huge front discs on and not changing the rear will mean that the bias will be increased to the front making the back end lighter and more unstable.

If any of you ride a motorbike you'll understand that you use 70% front and 30% rear when you're riding. Seeing as you don't have 2 brake pedals in your car its done automatically.

So shifting the bias from say 70-30 to 90-10 (guessed figures) would mean that before you enter a corner the back end could be chasing the front.

I'm probably well off, and ben will explain it much better than I.

I used to use 100% front on my bike (TZR250RR) cos the rear was usually 6 inches off the ground

Slight diversion from topic... anyone seen the KAD 356mm kit in this month's Jap Performance mag ?

uber

Rides
    you just keep this on topic young feller-me-lad

OK, I can get my hands on R34 GTR rear calipers discs and hubs - but what else would I need?? R33 handbrake bits???

Rides
    You could probably use R34 handbrake cables, but I know for sure that the R33 ones work.

The standard rear brakes are shit, just look how thin the disks are - they're not even vented. Anyway, with 356mm AP 6-pots the braking was a bit front heavy, even with coilovers you could notice it pitch forward quite a bit under heavy braking. With the rear Brembos fitted it stays nice and level under hard braking I did find that with DS2500 pads up front and standard ones at the back the rear bias was a bit heavy when the brakes were cold, but since I fitted the DS2500s at the back its much better

Rides
    What setup would you recommend ben?

I've been contemplating uprating the brakes but not sure which way to go.

Rides
    I personally think R33/34 Brembos up front and R33 GTSt rears would work fine. It did on the Sileighty. Bare in mind Ben has those 250000 metre discs up front whch need the GTR rears to balance it out.
    The principle of fitting GTSt rears is the same as GTR. I plan on fitting S13 rears to my S14 for the drum handbrake. When I get round to it eventually!
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    I would quite like the Brembos for the aesthetics aswell Matt plus I know where I can get me hands on some.
    seeing as you've been there and bought the t-shirt - what else would I need to go with the calipers, discs and hubs to get it done?
    ta
    Last edited by Si T; 18-02-2005 at 14:14.

Rides
    Ideally hoses. Seems a waste not to with all that new found stopping power . I 'think' you need 300ZX rear hoses, or get custom. You dont need the hubs as they are the same. You will however need to split the rear bearing carrier from the hub knuckle to fit the GTR/S13 backplates. The backplate holds the drum handbrake assembly in place. It is NOT an option, you will NEED to fit it. You can use the S13 ones if you want to just trim the outer edge of it out fo the way, or use the GTR ones for neatness
    Maybe an idea to fit a 300ZX master Cylinder at the same time to give a better pedal pressure too

Thats about it mate
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    I thought Matt_S invented SXOC
    Quote Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
    Matt_S is the SXOC. They're the same entity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty2Fatty View Post
    Some say that he remembers when the whole planet was just a field & that his body is held together with cable ties and duct tape, all we know is, he's Matt_S

Rides
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkster
    What setup would you recommend ben?

I've been contemplating uprating the brakes but not sure which way to go.
    Depends how much money you want to spend....